CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Lexie

I should have said this a long time ago. Or, maybe I did in the past, and forgot.

For the gender field, having "trans male" and "trans female" as separate options from "male" and "female" is transphobic.

Adding "cis male" and "cis female" would still be transphobic.

Any trans person who is willingly identifying themselves in that field is transphobic (surprise, internalised prejudice exists).

Trans is not a gender and does not describe or modify a gender. It is a medical condition. Medical conditions don't belong in the gender field.

All these things holding true, those two options should be removed altogether.

My $0.02.

Good luck getting people here to agree with you. I do but not many others will (and the reason I chose it is because I always feel like I have to in order to "explain" some of the shit I talk about, not because that is how I refer to myself IRL) I have had this argument myself with a few people here. 

The hard aspect about it to me is that it seems like it might be an area where people might disagree, which makes me think that perhaps it's helpful to have both as options in case someone finds it to be what they'd like to use on CB for whatever reason.  I believe, if I remember correctly, that it at one point was exclusively binary options with no flexibility whatsoever and it took some convincing to get the programming people (not people on CB, but the people who write the code or whatever it is that leads to a website, I'm not good at computer shit) to introduce anything besides male and female.  So that leads to the question of exactly what should be added.  I get your point and hadn't completely thought about it....but I question whether it would be important to someone else to have the option to use one of the trans-specific options.  Is it always a problem?  (definitely possible the answer is yes, I just don't know well enough to say it myself.)

For what it's worth, the mod team had EXTENSIVE discussion about these issues and we had to come to an agreement that everyone could live with, including trans and nonbinary and cis folk. The agreement represents a compromise, and compromises are always far from perfect. If you'd like to lobby for changes, please do so. Member feedback is one way shit gets changed here.

ETA: 
"Any trans person who is willingly identifying themselves in that field is transphobic..."

^This is not true for everyone, even though it might be true for you.  Some trans people prefer and requested the option to identify explicitly as trans and does not necessarily mean one has internalized transphobia. Anything that starts with identifying any/all members of one identity group will necessarily not represent everyone in that group.