CrazyBoards.org

i have trouble trying new things unless someone i know (and preferably am close to) recommends them

even things closely related to stuff i've had positive experiences with in the past

i can try imagining trying The Thing and i just end up imagining that it'll be boring, or won't work out, or whatever

so i generally end up not even bothering

and then in the rare event i do bother and i turn out to be right, i get even more discouraged and it gets even harder

the upshot of this is... well, i usually just end up doing nothing. a lot of nothing. repeating some routines and otherwise occupying myself with my thoughts and music, because music doesn't require any attention or focus. and i cannot muster attention or focus if i don't think something is going to be worthwhile.

i'm assuming this is probably related to low mood (?) so i'm posting it here.

anyone have any tips?

Edited by Lexie

It sounds like a cognitive filter/bias called jumping to conclusions then confirmation bias.

Learning to check facts against thoughts is a skill a lot of people often find helpful in these circumstances, even though it's really hard.

Low mood generally does strengthen cognitive biases. 

7 minutes ago, Wooster said:

It sounds like a cognitive filter/bias called jumping to conclusions then confirmation bias.

Learning to check facts against thoughts is a skill a lot of people often find helpful in these circumstances, even though it's really hard.

Low mood generally does strengthen cognitive biases. 

yeah, it's annoying because i'm usually wrong, and i know i'm usually wrong

if i can start doing something a lot of times it'll turn out good and i'll be able to keep going and doing it, and similar things, for a good while

but once i stop it's not long before the thoughts of "it probably won't be worth it, just don't bother" come back and weigh me down

am i supposed to just force myself to keep doing things anyway?

god, it usually takes me at least an hour after waking up just to get out of bed, sometimes two or three... how am i supposed to force myself to do more complex, less necessary things than that?

Edited by Lexie

Lexie, ACT has a lot of good stuff to say about this.

Being open to our experiences; acknowledging with kindness the thoughts, emotions, associations, memories, and sensations of exactly how we experience the world for good, bad, pleasant, unpleasant, whatever it is gets held close instead of fighting to push it away.

And also recognizing that when our emotions dictate our actions, and our emotions feel crappy, we are likely to choose to do or avoid things that strengthen and entrench the emotions.

identifying what is important in the life we wish to have, while accepting the life we have exactly as it is, and choosing to act from what helps us move toward the life we wish to have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Never mind. 

I already read your post. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression your input was not wanted, or that your experience is not relatable to mine.

It's true that I don't typically experience consummatory anhedonia to nearly the same degree as I do anticipatory anhedonia, but it's not as if I've never lost interest in things I should or used to enjoy, either.