CrazyBoards.org

Do regular hallucinations become pseudohallucinations when a person becomes more aware of their illness (schizophrenia in my case) from being on meds and therapy? Or are they still regarded as regular hallucinations? The definition of pseudohallucination I have seen is basically a hallucination that is recognized as unreal. When I hallucinate smoke or voices I now know it isn't real but sometimes I'm still unsure. Which is it?

I'd say even if you recognize them as a hallucination they are real. When I bring up hallucinations I'm having having to my pdoc he did doesn't act as if they aren't real. You have insight now which means your improving in your condition.

8 minutes ago, xanathos said:

Do regular hallucinations become pseudohallucinations when a person becomes more aware of their illness (schizophrenia in my case) from being on meds and therapy? Or are they still regarded as regular hallucinations? The definition of pseudohallucination I have seen is basically a hallucination that is recognized as unreal. When I hallucinate smoke or voices I now know it isn't real but sometimes I'm still unsure. Which is it?

i have no idea, and i think it's sort of arbitrary?

from what i've read there are a number of people who meet schizophrenia criteria based on hallucinations + disorganisation, with no delusions, and they usually are aware they hallucinate as well (while those with delusions often aren't)

not a terrible lot of them, but they exist

so i'm not sure it's actually a meaningful distinction? i mean, if you can still diagnose from it either way...

Edited by Lexie

22 minutes ago, Lexie said:

i have no idea, and i think it's sort of arbitrary?

from what i've read there are a number of people who meet schizophrenia criteria based on hallucinations + disorganisation, with no delusions, and they usually are aware they hallucinate as well (while those with delusions often aren't)

not a terrible lot of them, but they exist

so i'm not sure it's actually a meaningful distinction? i mean, if you can still diagnose from it either way...

^ in bold- I'm one of those. My pdoc still hasn't told me that I'm schizophrenic or have schizoaffective disorder or anything, just that I have 'psychosis'. 

• Like 1

A hallucination is a hallucination. The longer you have been sick, the more likely you could reach a point you can at least recognise some of your psychosis symptoms (the usual suspects in your experience). The first few times I had psychosis symptoms I wasn't aware. This can also happen when I get a new symptom I've not had before. Over the years I have come to know most my symptoms. It doesn't mean I'll not believe any of it, but at least some part of me knows its a large possibility my delusions or hallucinations are not real. I try to sort through it all with common sense when possible.

I hear things coming out of the walls or from objects. That's just there every day off and on. It's a hallucination, I know its not real, but its there regardless. I can largely ignore it.

That definition is from the "if you know it is a hallucination it isn't one" standard. It doesn't account for insight. I don't know about you but my pdoc relies on me to tell him when I have psychotic symptoms. 

They are still hallucinations, and it is awesome you can recognize them.

I can't tell my hallucinations aren't real until I test them. Or sometimes it's easy to know, like if it's the voice of someone who's dead. But even then, there's a moment when I haven't quite processed it all and think that it really is them. Once I've tested it in some way (e.g., making sure the stereo is off when music is coming from the speakers) and have determined that it isnt actually happening, I know it's a hallucination. But that realization doesn't make the hallucination stop. And it doesn't make it seem any less real.