CrazyBoards.org

I am on Geodon and have been since I was 15 (I'm 23). Due to my new position at work, I will be doing a nine hour shift outside, doing a lot of hard physical work, in 85-90F heat. Should I be worried? I get two 15 minute breaks and an hour long break in the middle of the shift. I can bring water (no other drinks) and we are provided sunscreen. Will I be okay? I am just a bit worried, unless that side effect is really rare.. It reduces heat sensitivity and sweating, making you far more likely to suffer heat stroke.

Hi ... My experience with Geodon was that it gave me such a high heart rate (and that was all it really did) and I had to go for regular EKG's until I had to stop taking it.  The DRs were watching the QT prolongation which affects the heart rhythm.  The heat made me feel worse.  Don't know if I got heat stroke at any given time because I wasn't outside much (for a long time period). 

So, IMO do whatever you can do to stay cool and make sure you drink lots of water (like you said).

Personally, from what I wrote above, I would be worried if I were you.

Maybe you should check in with your pdoc to make sure it is ok to work 8-9 hours a day outside in 85-90 degree weather.

I googled geodon and heat stroke. and found this:

http://www.rxlist.com/geodon-drug/consumer-side-effects-precautions.htm

This medication may make you sweat less, making you more likely to get heat stroke. Avoid doing things that may cause you to overheat, such as hard work or exercise in hot weather, or using hot tubs. When the weather is hot, drink a lot of fluids and dress lightly. If you overheat, quickly look for a place to cool down and rest. Get medical help right away if you have a fever that does not go away, mental/mood changes, headache, or dizziness.

Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially dizziness, uncontrolled movements, and QT prolongation

However not everyone gets these effects from geodon.  YMMV.

It's a small thing but wearing a broad rimmed hat can help prevent heat stroke. Drink LOTS of water.

My pdoc warns me about heat stroke (I take seroquel and apparently it can also cause heat stroke). I know that he wouldn't be happy about me spending so much time outside in high temperatures.

Maybe you should speak to your pdoc? 

I agree about talking to your Pdoc about your individual risks (since he knows you best and can more accurately evaluate the situation).

Geodon caused me Autonomic Nervous System issues while I was on it, and was actually diagnosed with POTsyndrome while taking it. At the time I was a waitress and we did a lot of catering for events, often festivals which were outside/in the summer/in the south. If you get the a-okay from your doctor I would suggest (besides water and sunscreen) clothing which helps shield you from the sun and Gatorade to help you replenish electrolytes/salt.

I would also inquire to your boss the possibility of accommodations for mini breaks throughout your shift to sit down in the shade. I was fortunate to be able to take short periodic breaks at my job during large events (although I scarified my hour lunch for it).

It's definitely worth asking about.  A friend took a similar psych med (not geodon though) which had the same warning.  We went to the beach and she used sunscreen but didn't overly worry about it because she hadn't ever burned before.  We were only outside for two hours and she looked like a lobster afterward.  It was really bad.

i don't say that to suggest geodon is definitely the same, just that it is definitely worth checking.

Edited by dancesintherain
incomplete thought