Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

So, 

I'm about a month and a half without Lamictal/Lamotrigine,

as part of my 'MI Diary' I keep track of my side effects.

All my life I could count on my fingers the times I had headaches in a year but since the beginning of taking Lamotrigine (Over a year ago) I struggled with constant headaches.

I would count about more than half a month of days with headaches.

I stopped it.

In a good month I would have 12 days of headaches.

This past month without it I had 12 days of headaches but I was having 3 headaches a day at the end of it (50mg of Lamictal ODT)

Anyone?

I'll bring this up my next appointment which is at first week of june.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am currently on Lamictal (and have been for a really long time) with no headaches ever caused by this med. (At least I cant recall any).  Mine sometimes start out as tension headaches which, if left unresolved, will turn into a migraine. 

Have you tried flexeril?  It is a muscle relaxant that (for me at least), if taken early enough (like the first feeling you get of a headache coming on), I take one or 2 immediately and try to fall asleep or at least rest without anyone around, no lights on.  When I wake up I feel much better.  If I have residual pain from the headache/migraine, I take 2 Excedrin and the headache is soon after that. 

The one other thing I use is propranolol (which I read you have taken in the past).  When you took propranolol in the past, was it something that just didn't work for you, or gave you bad side effects or something?  I'm asking because sometimes taking 2 meds together might work better together than alone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, crtclms said:

Headache is one side effect. It usually goes away, but that isn't universal. What was your highest dosage?

Yep, that's what we were betting, that headaches and insomnia would go away but as time passed it just got worst.

My heights dosage was 100mg, I had trouble since 12,5mg.

! guess I'm very sensitive to it.

Sigh.

 

31 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

I am currently on Lamictal (and have been for a really long time) with no headaches ever caused by this med. (At least I cant recall any).  Mine sometimes start out as tension headaches which, if left unresolved, will turn into a migraine. 

Have you tried flexeril?  It is a muscle relaxant that (for me at least), if taken early enough (like the first feeling you get of a headache coming on), I take one or 2 immediately and try to fall asleep or at least rest without anyone around, no lights on.  When I wake up I feel much better.  If I have residual pain from the headache/migraine, I take 2 Excedrin and the headache is soon after that. 

The one other thing I use is propranolol (which I read you have taken in the past).  When you took propranolol in the past, was it something that just didn't work for you, or gave you bad side effects or something?  I'm asking because sometimes taking 2 meds together might work better together than alone.

 

My headaches they start as tension, I'm very new to the headache scenario so when pdoc asked to described it I couldn't because I never had such thing going on.

I started to analyze it, it start as a tension, a very mild thing that if I do not take something will become I guess what's called a migraine.

After switching to the ODT it just escalated to quick, not even tension, just plain and simple what I describe 'headaches' (there's a language barrier here to know if it's truly migraine what it was or become).

About flexeril or any other measure to manage the pain.

First I told pdoc that I wanted to use acetylsalicylic acid, because, like I said, I would have about five headaches a year and successfully get rid of it with one aspirin. 

I started taking 500mg of aspirin and worked, so as I saw it was going to happen for some time, I switched to the minimum amount of it, on the second month I could manage it by taking 200mg of acetylsalicylic acid. 

Well, got worst, I would go to a medicine made of 325mg of acetylsalicylic acid it hold for a semester.

After that my pdoc said to just take 1mg of Metamizole/Dipyrone. 

Propranolol would make it worst or nothing at all.

 

I wish this frequent headaches stopped as I stopped the med.

Now I'm still having trouble with both of my problems that started with lamotrigine, insomnia and headaches.

I'm taking Gabapentin as third gen mood stabilizer, which I saw could be used for headaches but it isn't making it go away.

I'll ask pdoc but I posted to see if anyone had this kind of reaction and post reaction to lamotrigine.

 

Thanks both.

 

 

 

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope things work out for you.  It is miserable to get headaches/migraines frequently.

And like you said, you'll call your pdoc about it.  I'd call sooner than later though, as the migraines have become more frequent.  IMO not something to wait on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

I really hope things work out for you.  It is miserable to get headaches/migraines frequently.

And like you said, you'll call your pdoc about it.  I'd call sooner than later though, as the migraines have become more frequent.  IMO not something to wait on. 

I'm bringing this up since the start of lamotrigine a little bit over one year ago and unfortunately it did not got better, now it's better but I'm not taking any lamotrigine. 

I'm not saying that I developed something that I previously didn't but I'm inclined to think that this is still because of lamotrigine, maybe my brain is readjusting itself, I hope I have neuroplasticity enough to be headache free as I was before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, uncomfortable thoughts said:

I'm bringing this up since the start of lamotrigine a little bit over one year ago and unfortunately it did not got better, now it's better but I'm not taking any lamotrigine. 

I'm not saying that I developed something that I previously didn't but I'm inclined to think that this is still because of lamotrigine, maybe my brain is readjusting itself, I hope I have neuroplasticity enough to be headache free as I was before.

Ohh, ok .., I misunderstood what you wrote!  I'm sorry about that!  (I had thought you were currently on lamictal and getting the headaches with it now).

I've never had neuroplasticity.  I hope that helps!  Just curious as how it is done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Ohh, ok .., I misunderstood what you wrote!  I'm sorry about that!  (I had thought you were currently on lamictal and getting the headaches with it now).

I've never had neuroplasticity.  I hope that helps!  Just curious as how it is done?

It happens, sorry about my english.

We all have neruoplasticity.

"Neuroplasticity refers to the potential that the brain has to reorganize by creating new neural pathways to adapt, as it needs. Think of the neurological changes being made in the brain as the brain's way of tuning itself to meet your needs."

I know how it's done with nicotine receptors but not with lamotrigine.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, crtclms said:

Neuroplasticity is so fascinating. Do you know if lithium falls under this rubric? It's supposed to be neuroprotective.

Hmmm, 

I don't know.

I think as most psychoactive drugs it will change our natural pathways and brain cells interactions, falling in the category of 'inducing' some changes of our neurological system.

By what I understand on this subject and a quick research:

When taking Lithium our brain would decrease norepinephrine release and increases serotonin synthesis which is a form of alteration on our brain pathways.

The neuroprotective properties would fall under the category of regulating the chain of mitochondrial electron transport, why this is good and if it happens, I don't know.

As how the mood stabilization occurs falls under the category unknown but I would bet has something to do with the norepinephrine/serotonin changes and other things that probably happen, this would cover some part of the bio-psycho problem but unfortunately we have other kinds of interactions in our lifes that a pill would not be the solution but as more of a coping mechanism or tool.

I think the term would apply when the lithium therapy stops and our brains eventually would re-organize by itself, probably down regulating some synthesis and chains once created, that's why in order to have the therapeutical effects of lithium, one would be submitted to taking it, to sustain the changes.

I know the example of addictive drugs better, like nicotine.

When you're addict to nicotine for example you would have a bunch of nicotine neuron receptors.

When ceasing the nicotine intake for a long time, some say about at least 21 days, the nicotine neuron receptors eventually would 'downgrade', it will be less available for nicotine reception and those cells would adjust for doing something else, which, I used for my own advantage to quit smoking, because I rationalized this information.

When abstaining myself for long periods, like weeks or months I could notice that getting back to be a smoker would be more influenced by psychological reason than biological, if I kept myself without smoking for one month and had a 'slip', the cigarette would not give me the same pleasure as if I had stopped for about a day, or a week.

So as you stop smoking the brain would self regulate, while doing it, memory, perception of time, attention and focus capacity would have drastic changes, getting worst at first and after new pathways are done things tend to be good without nicotine.

I think this is neuroplasticity, the capability of our brains to readjust.

So as my headaches are getting less frequent but still present.

I would think that after about a year taking lamotrigine, my brain would have new adjustments while on it and now is adjusting without it and with a new drug.

I was wondering if the headaches are residual, but I posted to see if anyone had this frequent headaches after stopping it and if it goes away, I don't want to have something chronic that I previously didn't.

So, I hope my brain cells find the way back to when I didn't have headaches.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW ...

UT ... I missed this part of one of your posts above ...

Quote

My headaches they start as tension, I'm very new to the headache scenario so when pdoc asked to described it I couldn't because I never had such thing going on.

I started to analyze it, it start as a tension, a very mild thing that if I do not take something will become I guess what's called a migraine.

^^This is pretty much exactly what happens to me.  If I catch the tension headache first, I'm golden.  But if I let it go too long, a migraine will come on very fast.

I am glad the headaches are less frequent now, even if still present at times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

I had a lot of tension headaches on Lamictal. I found they responded well to simple painkillers like Panadol/Tylenol. I think they gradually decreased in frequency over time, but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks.

For me too, aspirin and metamizole are enough but I'm still having headaches.

It got better with depakote but got worst now even not taking the lamotrigine.

I was told by PDOC that the trazodone could make it worst, I'm only on the first weekend so I don't know if I'll recover soon from those headaches.

Contend 17 days of headaches this past month.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...