CrazyBoards.org

Difference between Wellbutrin 150mg XL cut in half and Well. 75mg IR

I'm asking this because Wellbutrin IR is not available in my country.

Along with the Effexor 225mg, Wellbutrin 300mg is too much for me , and Wellbutrin 150mg is not enough.

Therefore, I would like to increase the 150 to 225 (which requires splitting the pills).

Can anyone explain the difference?

When you cut an XL tablet you don't completely destroy the extended release matrix. What you get is a dose with an unknown release curve so you don't know how exactly it will be released but it probably will not be the full XL release and it probably will not be an IR release. All you really do is convert a known release profile to an unknown one. And you generally don't want to introduce unknown quantities into your treatment with a med that has a half-life like Wellbutrin.

12 hours ago, jt07 said:

When you cut an XL tablet you don't completely destroy the extended release matrix. What you get is a dose with an unknown release curve so you don't know how exactly it will be released but it probably will not be the full XL release and it probably will not be an IR release. All you really do is convert a known release profile to an unknown one. And you generally don't want to introduce unknown quantities into your treatment with a med that has a half-life like Wellbutrin.

What jt said. 

I'm sorry Wellbutrin IR isn't available in your country.

There are 3 types of pills.

IR - Immediate Release - dumps ALL of the med out at once.

XL - Extended release 24 hour

SR - Sustained Release 12 hour

YOu cannot cut the XL pills.  Do you know for sure that the 150 XL will not work? It spreads the med out thruout the day. 

You can also take two SR pills. One 150 Sr in the morning and one at night. 

None of these methods, including cutting the IR pills, worked for me at all. I needed the pill thruout the day.   Even though the total amount of milligrams may be the same, the release method will change how they affect your body chemistry.  The IR was a lower amount but affected me much much more and had more side effects because it was dumped out all at once.

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Water ... Out of curiosity ... can you cut the SR pills?

No, as JT said, you will disrupt the release method. The SR pills are also released slowly, but during a 12hour period, instead of a 24 hour period. I found myself dropping after 12 hours and then having to take another and then it was a series of ups and downs until I switched to the XL pill.

BTW: I now take aplenzin which is apparently EXTREMELY expensive. IT is the same as Wellbutrin (bupropion) but has a different binding agent. For some reason it works better for me.

JT and Water are spot on.  Just to add that Welly has very complex pharmacodynamics.  It is broken down by your liver into three metabolites, each of which is metabolized further.  Cutting SR/XL tablets makes for the unpredictability discussed above.  For psych meds to be effective achieving and maintaining a 'steady state' is very important.  Messing with the release mechanism will not work in your favor.

I find it odd that IR is not available where you live as it is considerably less expensive than SR or XL.  UK? Australia?  There well may be others in your part of the world who can chime in.

Edited by vanderk
wonky laptop shit

2 hours ago, water said:

No, as JT said, you will disrupt the release method. The SR pills are also released slowly, but during a 12hour period, instead of a 24 hour period. I found myself dropping after 12 hours and then having to take another and then it was a series of ups and downs until I switched to the XL pill.

BTW: I now take aplenzin which is apparently EXTREMELY expensive. IT is the same as Wellbutrin (bupropion) but has a different binding agent. For some reason it works better for me.

That was what I thought.  Thanks!