CrazyBoards.org

Halcion?

Has anyone tried Halcion (triazolam) for sleep? I have insomnia, and I was on 20mg of Belsomra ... until my insurance stopped covering it (very sad, as it works consistently for me.) My pdoc switched me to Ambien, and 10mg of Ambien is as good as placebo unless I'm already sleepy. I've been through the gamut of insomnia drugs in the past (ambien, lunesta, temazepam, remeron, seroquel, trazodone) with varying degrees of success.

It is short acting. It will get you to sleep but not keep you there. Good for those that can't fall asleep but do fine if they can. However the shorter acting benzos are the ones most associated with people doing weird things and not remembering it. It has fallen out of favor in the last decade as the Z drugs came on market.

That would characterize my insomnia. I sleep fine, once I get to sleep. My pdoc said the same thing -- it's fallen out of favor since the z-drugs hit. However, the z-drugs don't work very well for me, so I'm curious whether the mechanism of action is different enough to work. Benzos in general don't make me sleepy except in 2-3x the normal dose, and histamine drugs cause me to eat like crazy. This is on the short list of drugs I haven't tried yet.

I took it without issue.  I wasn't familiar with the string of issues mentioned above.  I later had a really, really scary reaction to ambien, which makes me hesitant to trust any of the z-drugs.  However, I was in a relationship that made me aware of the ambien bad reaction and I wouldn't have known about it otherwise...but I wasn't in a relationship when I was on triazolam.  So I guess in theory I could have also had a problem I wasn't aware of. 

Remember when George H. W. Bush threw up on the Japanese Prime Minister? His doctors said it was a side effect of the Halcyon. So if you, too, want to throw up on world leaders, you know what to do!

• 2 weeks later...

So my pdoc called it in for me. I've taken it a couple of times in the past week, and it seems to work really well. No crazy antics, I just get tired and fall asleep. I wake up refreshed, no hangover like histamine drugs, even after 5-6h of sleep. I suspect the short half-life helps with that.

I haven't vomited on any world leaders yet, so that's a good sign!