CrazyBoards.org

... when you are depressed? Too much or too little? 

I know depression is starting to get me when I'm sleeping more than 10 hours a day. Then when I'm full-blown depressed I'll sleep up to 20 hours per day (14-15 hrs on average). 

I figure it doesn't matter when my average 16 hours does absolutely nothing to make me more awake and alert, in fact, sleeping makes me even more tired.

And I am depressed all the time, have been for almost 10 years. Sometimes my sleep changes but ultimately I am a zombie or walking corpse regardless, so it hardly matters. 

Unmedicated and depressed, I will sleep 8-9 hours per night with naps during the day. Now, because I take Remeron, I sleep about 10-11 hours per night with occasional naps.

When I was in remission, I thrived on 7 hours of sleep.

In general, I sleep more because of my depression. My meds also cause me to sleep more.

I'll sleep 2 hours per night, constantly pacing, but then once I get the kids to school I'll sleep all day (they walk home), and wake in the early evening. It's weird, because I am not a night owl at all. My sleeping shifts just change with my mood cycle.

Depression where you tend to sleep and eat more is known as atypical depression. My depression is atypical. I believe that a lot of bipolar depression is also of the atypical variety.

Typical depression is marked by eating less and sleeping less.

I usually struggle with insomnia while depressed, often very severe. I averaged three hours of sleep per night during my depressive episodes in recent years, and occasionally I would sleep less than an hour, or even not at all. I was up for 81 hours continuously at one point, which is the worst patch I've ever had (not counting drug-induced insomnia). I found a sleep cocktail that works for me two years ago, thankfully. 

It's so fascinating that depression can present with insomnia or hypersomnia (which is considered atypical, I think?). I cannot imagine going without sleep and feeling depressed. It sounds so awful. I sleep in part to escape.

When I was a teenager, I slept way too much. I'm not sure how many hours but a majority of my time was spent in bed. Now, I can average the normal 7-8 hours but some days I'll only get 4 or 5. My main problem is that I can't sleep good at all (takes me an hour or two to fall asleep or I wake up every 10 minutes or every hour, constantly toss and turn). 

In the past five days I've slept a few hours every night.  I go through phases.  Sometimes i can sleep a lot and other times hardly at all.  I can't come up with a correlation between my mood and the particular sleep phase I am going through though.  It seems pretty random.  I wish it could be consistent.  

For me, when depressed or stable I sleep erratically no matter what, so when I sleep it is more in chunks of sleep.  And it is different every night.  I don't keep track really, but I hope for a good 4-5 hour chunk of sleep all at once (sometimes I have 6 hours all at once), plus other chunks of sleep at night that are in 1-3 hour chunks.  Varies.  During the day I also need to sleep, and that is for about 1-2 hours.  However, I never feel totally rested.

When I am hypo/manic, I find myself sleeping less, so I force myself to at least lay down and rest because I know what happens to me if I don't sleep much.  And that helps.

Like TakeAChillPill said above, I wish it could be consistent.

• 2 weeks later...