CrazyBoards.org

This is really hard to explain- since I started hearing voices and sounds (it's been about 9 months), a voice that sounds like me replaces the words I am thinking of with ones that are related in some way (they rhyme, start with the same letter, etc.). It's mostly the main subject of the sentence or adjectives. It feels like someone just picks a word out and replaces it. 

Fortunately, this doesn't happen much when I'm talking, but it's really annoying and sometimes slows down my thought process. Very distracting.

This whole thing seems silly to me, honestly. Should I even take the time to bring it up to my pdoc?

6 minutes ago, Wooster said:

It's definitely worth bringing it up. It's called "clang association" and a known phenomenon.

Thanks, Woo. I have an appointment in a couple weeks and will bring it up then. Now that I know what it's called, Dr. Google will be consulted as well. ;)

Just want to 2nd what Wooster said. 

I hope it goes away soon, or at least calms down.  I know how it feels to have voices in my head (not rhyming though) constantly ... and it can drive me crazy if I don't distract myself.  Music helps (with headphones), or talking to yourself (like if home alone or something ... with people around there is that stigma attached).

But yeah, I think it is a good idea to bring it up.

I get this too at times. It's very distracting! A lot of the time lose my train of thought completely and go blank like my thoughts are stolen or I'm being distracted by the voices, etc. I just go blank mid sentence. So annoying! I'm horrible at telling stories because of this!

I would talk to your pdoc about it too. I hope it stops soon!!

7 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Just want to 2nd what Wooster said. 

I hope it goes away soon, or at least calms down.  I know how it feels to have voices in my head (not rhyming though) constantly ... and it can drive me crazy if I don't distract myself.  Music helps (with headphones), or talking to yourself (like if home alone or something ... with people around there is that stigma attached).

But yeah, I think it is a good idea to bring it up.

I have music on 24/7. It really helps with the voices. It's strange to me that I have the voices under control via Abilify, but the "clanging" and disappearance of words is still around. Apparently the only thing that helps with that is antipsychotics, which I'm on. Ugh. 

3 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I get this too at times. It's very distracting! A lot of the time lose my train of thought completely and go blank like my thoughts are stolen or I'm being distracted by the voices, etc. I just go blank mid sentence. So annoying! I'm horrible at telling stories because of this!

I would talk to your pdoc about it too. I hope it stops soon!!

I feel like the words are being stolen. The interesting (shitty) thing is, I know someone who had a stroke and struggles to come up with the right words, and the wrong and missing ones sound just like my brain trying to make those same connections. I should have gone to school for neuroscience, obviously.