CrazyBoards.org

Is This Possible In Bipolar and/or Psychosis?

Is it possible to have a schizophrenia-like psychosis and a bipolar-like mania simulataneously or occurring closely alongside of each other so that when the mania happens it "brings you out" of the cognitive impairment and poor mental functioning that the schizophrenia-like condition might give you which then might make you think youre "getting better" but really its just the mania side making you feel more "normal"? So instead of appearing to be in classic mania you would appear to be in a more normal mental functioning state because the mania brought you out of such a huge deficit that the psychosis gave you? I talked to someone with psychosis about something similar to this, about if they feel more normal cognitively and with their mental functioning when theyre actually more stressed/tired and they said yes. Im concerned that one of these two things might be happening with me...that im not actually getting better but just experiencing a different phase of possible psychosis thats allowing me to function better mentally for the time being. Is any of this possible?? Or am i maybe actually getting better? Its just very suspect because last year i was functioning so poorly with my severe dp/dr or psychosis to the point i felt i could barely hold a conversation because of speech issues and cognitive impairment, now all of a sudden this year im doing much better and can hold down a job and even made some pretty big decisions that seem a little weird because they were made so fast. Its as if Im a different person now. Seems ingenuine and maybe an indicator of mania or something. I thought that maybe its possible Im getting better because Im forcing myself to go out and do things but that cant be true because back in 2014 I forced myself to go to school in the midst of everything and only got worse. Please let me know what you think.

10 minutes ago, aura said:

I'm not sure I totally understand... are you asking if mania can neutralize negative symptoms of schizophrenia? Or if it can get rid of psychosis?

Yes, I am asking basically if it can neutralize negative symptoms of schizophrenia or APPEAR to.

Edited by crazytom1993

6 hours ago, crazytom1993 said:

Yes, I am asking basically if it can neutralize negative symptoms of schizophrenia or APPEAR to.

The mania could bring you to a point where you appear "normal."  Just a guess though.

However  ...  the first thing that came to my  mind when reading your post is that IF the mania does bring you out of the cognitive impairment and poor mental functioning, then there is a chance the mania could get you eventually feeling too out of control and then you could crash at any time, not making anything better.

Edited by melissaw72

I can't see how mania could make you appear normal and functional. By definition, mania disrupts your life in a very obvious way, including cognitive difficulties and sometimes psychosis. Maybe hypomania could do this? I don't know a lot about your situation or the subject in general, so I hope you get some more useful responses.

3 hours ago, aura said:

I can't see how mania could make you appear normal and functional. By definition, mania disrupts your life in a very obvious way, including cognitive difficulties and sometimes psychosis. Maybe hypomania could do this? I don't know a lot about your situation or the subject in general, so I hope you get some more useful responses.

I think you're right about the hypomania ... I think OP is thinking about the beginning stages of hypo making him feel like the cognitive impairment and poor mental functioning is getting better.   What I hope OP knows is that hypo can easily turn into mania, making everything worse.

23 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

I think you're right about the hypomania ... I think OP is thinking about the beginning stages of hypo making him feel like the cognitive impairment and poor mental functioning is getting better.   What I hope OP knows is that hypo can easily turn into mania, making everything worse.

So then hypomania could do something like this then? How can I be for sure if its hypomania? What signs should I look for?

36 minutes ago, crazytom1993 said:

So then hypomania could do something like this then? How can I be for sure if its hypomania? What signs should I look for?

I guess it might be able to, but being hypo may or may not last long ... you might not know you are having a hypo moment until it is too late; it could fly into mania very soon after and like i said before, it makes things a lot worse.

I am assuming you've been hypomanic/manic before?  If so, you probably know how you feel when you have had it.  So you'll know the signs to look for.  The goal is to be stable as best as you can.

Just wondering, are you on medication? 

• Like 1

Im not sure if Ive had hypo/mania before and even if I have, I dont really know what it would start to look/feel like. All I know is that Im starting to feel slightly better and its highly suspect because like I said I dont understand how I would be able to transition out of such a horrible state so quickly. It was so bad last year I thought I had a neurodegenerative disease...a thought that I still havent gotten over. For years I thought I only had severe depersonalization/derealization but this changed into me thinking I had some psychotic disorder last year when I got so bad to the point I felt I could barely eat food and talk normal. I still have no idea what happened then. But like I said I started to change and get slightly better and now here I am a year later and am doing alot better but dont understand why. Its very confusing. A therapist who specializes in dissociation thinks I only have dissociation while others thjnk I may be experiencing psychosis so Im trying to figure out what I am exactly, schizoaffective, schizophrenia etc.

6 hours ago, crazytom1993 said:

Im not sure if Ive had hypo/mania before and even if I have, I dont really know what it would start to look/feel like. All I know is that Im starting to feel slightly better and its highly suspect because like I said I dont understand how I would be able to transition out of such a horrible state so quickly. It was so bad last year I thought I had a neurodegenerative disease...a thought that I still havent gotten over. For years I thought I only had severe depersonalization/derealization but this changed into me thinking I had some psychotic disorder last year when I got so bad to the point I felt I could barely eat food and talk normal. I still have no idea what happened then. But like I said I started to change and get slightly better and now here I am a year later and am doing alot better but dont understand why. Its very confusing. A therapist who specializes in dissociation thinks I only have dissociation while others thjnk I may be experiencing psychosis so Im trying to figure out what I am exactly, schizoaffective, schizophrenia etc.

At this point, if it were me, I would recommend finding another therapist (tdoc), or at least getting a second opinion. 

Sometimes therapists who specialize in something aren't as open minded to see anything else going on, other than what they specialize in.  (This happened to me but with another specialty DR ... he specialized in seizures, and that was what he looked for every time I saw him.  Every little thing was "it must be a seizure," etc. " let's get an EEG ..."  I eventually changed DRs).

NOT saying that this is what is happening with your current tdoc, just my observation based on past experience and from what you write.  Some specialized tdocs do have an open mind about things.  IMO yours doesn't seem to though.  (Although I could be wrong).

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

At this point, if it were me, I would recommend finding another therapist (tdoc), or at least getting a second opinion. 

Sometimes therapists who specialize in something aren't as open minded to see anything else going on, other than what they specialize in.  (This happened to me but with another specialty DR ... he specialized in seizures, and that was what he looked for every time I saw him.  Every little thing was "it must be a seizure," etc. " let's get an EEG ..."  I eventually changed DRs).

NOT saying that this is what is happening with your current tdoc, just my observation based on past experience and from what you write.  Some specialized tdocs do have an open mind about things.  IMO yours doesn't seem to though.  (Although I could be wrong).

Yes Ive thought this before, that she was only saying that because its like she wanted me to fit into what she specialized in. Thats why Im doing research all the time. What Ive explained though, does it sound like schizoaffective or mania?

MI is confusing and hard to understand, your right, whether you have a MI or not (ie other people "getting it" after an explanation).

By what you write about is still is really hard to tell what is going on.  Right now it could be your depression slowly lifting after all that time, or something else.  It is something I would check in with my pdoc about though because maybe it is you coming out of the depression, and finally feeling better.  But it could be something else, and I'm not a DR; just can give my opinion.

This is a really great question for a psychiatrist (pdoc).  I know you have a tdoc ... do you have a pdoc as well?