CrazyBoards.org

What Was This?

Anyways, I had a really weird experience last night.  It's happened before, but it's never been like this.  I basically had sleep paralysis, but I wasn't even going off to sleep yet.  I was dozing on the couch, woke up to take a leak..... came back.  Then, as soon as I got into the couch where I was resting, I found myself hearing this music...... then I was paralyzed and couldn't move.  It literally happened twice!  Then, I woke up today, and I feel fine.  I took melatonin like I often do, maybe I should stop taking it as it's some kind of side effect.  It was just really weird.  Prior to it happening, I just felt weird and I was watching creepy TV shows prior to it happening..... maybe I just got myself going that something weird was happening and I imagined the whole thing.  I don't know though, I've had sleep paralysis...... but never while I was still awake! 

I posted in the seizure forum, but I don't think I have seizures.  However, I don't know what this incident was...... but hopefully not a seizure or something.  Although, it kind of seems like some sort of neurological thing.  I just don't know what, but hopefully it won't keep happening. 

Edited by Steve223

IMO it doesn't sound like any of my own seizure experiences, or seizures that I've heard of before. 

I can't tell you what this is, but if it happens again it's worth talking to your doctor.

What I can say is that sleep is very complex. Basically, during sleep your brain goes through sleep cycles of Non-REM stages (where your muscles are not paralyzed and you don't dream, and can be semi-conscious) and REM sleep (where your voluntary muscles are more paralyzed, and you dream more vividly). When these cycles are interrupted (which they can be by medications, stress, sleep deprivation, or various disorders) it can cause your brain to get stuck in late stages of Non-REM sleep where you still dream (although less vividly), some people have more conscious control, and your muscles are not paralyzed. This can cause you to sleep walk, be "asleep" but still be "awake", and all other sorts of weird things (I canz science) like you describe.

• Like 2

I do get twitches a little bit sometimes too though, which was why I wondered.  It's not thrashing or anything like that, but my eyes twitch a little at times and so do my hands.  Like today, my eyes kind of twitched at a few points a little during the day, but it was just for a few seconds a couple times.  Sometimes, I have this head twitch too, where I involuntarily shake my head and have no control over it whatsoever.  I also get little moments where I stare off and just don't really notice anything that's going on for maybe 10-15 seconds.  I've never told a doctor about it though.  How does one tell the difference between a twitch versus a seizure? 

Edited by Steve223

All sorts of things can cause twitches. Anxiety can cause twitches. Also, meds. I twitch a lot due to my Tegretol. If this is worrying you so much, I really think you have to talk to a doctor. We can't diagnose because we're not doctors and even if we were, we wouldn't diagnose you over the internet.

See your doctor.

6 hours ago, jt07 said:

All sorts of things can cause twitches. Anxiety can cause twitches. Also, meds. I twitch a lot due to my Tegretol. If this is worrying you so much, I really think you have to talk to a doctor. We can't diagnose because we're not doctors and even if we were, we wouldn't diagnose you over the internet.

See your doctor.

I agree about talking to and/or seeing your DR.

On 6/6/2016 at 1:49 AM, Steve223 said:

I do get twitches a little bit sometimes too though, which was why I wondered.  It's not thrashing or anything like that, but my eyes twitch a little at times and so do my hands.  Like today, my eyes kind of twitched at a few points a little during the day, but it was just for a few seconds a couple times.  Sometimes, I have this head twitch too, where I involuntarily shake my head and have no control over it whatsoever.  I also get little moments where I stare off and just don't really notice anything that's going on for maybe 10-15 seconds.  I've never told a doctor about it though.  How does one tell the difference between a twitch versus a seizure? 

To echo JT... twitches, muscle spasms, and involuntary movements can be caused by many many things including medications. In my own experience, I had twitches/spasms in my face and neck when taking Geodon (which disappeared after being diagnosed with a deficiency, and treated with magnesium by my Neurologist).

The difference between a twitch and a seizure is electrical activity, which only a doctor can test and diagnose.

Personally, I think if you are losing consciousness periodically for any amount of seconds, it's a red flag to call a doctor.