CrazyBoards.org

Memorial Day Really?

How many people really celebrate Memorial Day as was intended? 

For those of us that served it should be called " try not to obsess over your buddies that died and how they died day"

OR try not to think about all the soldiers who died before you day

OR War memories are going to kick your ass day

OR how many more are going to die today day

or not many people give a shit day ...., 

Edited by JustDucky
Or I can't spell day

Me? I shared a video someone shared of the tomb of the unknowns. I've been to a funeral at Arlington. I've lost loved ones. Some gave all, making the ultimate sacrifice. <bows head respectfully remembering those we've lost>

It's hard not to show bitterness when you encounter joy/celebration on such a holiday.  I can only imagine, Duck.

I've been meditating on and sending out loving energy around the following chant:

May all sentient beings enjoy happiness and the root of happiness.
May we be free from suffering and the root of suffering.
May we not be separated from the great happiness devoid of suffering.
May we dwell in the great equanimity from passion, aggression, and prejudice.

I respect sacrifice.  I respect giving without expecting a reward.  I thank all who have served.  I send support to those who have lost.

• Like 1

The best I could do, having not served myself, was pass along a Washington post article about the real meaning of the day and that it's not about barbecues and the pool opening.  The writers approach had me in tears and the closest connection I have is a handful of friends who are former military including one ex-girlfriend, two who are active duty, and one family who I work with on their child's educational issues.  I was concerned in posting it that it might not go over well with them, but given that everyone has "liked" or commented, it seems to be appropriate.  

I feel like too many people my age (early 30s) have absolutely no connection other than a grandparent or two who fortunately made it out of WWII alive (or in my case, grandfather and grandmother).  Too many people I talk to don't have a single person their age or anyone involved in the current wars, so little understanding. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking all day about my BIL. He was a Vietnam vet. He survived the war, but it permanently scarred him, both physically, mentally and emotionally. He passed away last year, complications of a stroke. 

I agree, I think 90% people think it's a great sales holiday. It sickens me. 

It is sickening to see how capitalism has desensitized us to degree where the cost of freedom is lost on them and they are ungrateful and unwilling to show any respect, forget the proper respect. People like that don't appreciate freedom. I do. Many Americans do. I've been thinking about it all day too. All week actually. </3

a visit to the local cemetery to reflect on those who died: at least one from the Revolutionary War, more from the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and other wars/conflicts. taking our niece to discuss the importance of caring for the graves of loved ones and talking about why certain ones had flags by them, and what the different flags mean. church on sunday: the sanctuary decorated with each armed service flag. 

WOW This was awesome to hear 

I was just so frustrated by the sales and the news only talking about traffic and air flights and how much the parks were full and never once mentioned why we have this Holiday 

I never expect people to spend their day in mourning but some of us do. I tried to balance education and understanding today with a fun time in the mountains with the kids

i just wish more people would have given this day a thought or prayer or a moment of gratitude for the freedoms we have. The soldiers have no choice about what orders we follow nor which wars we fight we all serve at the pleasure of the President . Please try to remember that

i truly appreciate what you guys did on this day and it matters to many people other than me

• Like 1