CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone here take a low dose of Abilify for depression, Bipolar, and or Schiz?

I am on 7mg now and I wonder whether or not this is a therapeutic dose.  I feel fine and I trust my Dr.'s instincts but I am just curious to know other people's experiences and opinions.

My dx was Schizoaffective from my previous Pdoc but I felt like they were a crappy, incompetent Dr.  

I dislike labels so for now I am label free.  

It depends on what you are taking it for. For depression, 5 mg is therapeutic. It may not be therapeutic for psychosis though. I need doses over 10 mg because otherwise I have terrible anxiety and it didn't work for me at less than 10 mg. I am taking 30 mg now because I also take carbamazepine (Tegretol) which interacts with Abilify and cuts the effective dose way, way down (like by 75% according to the PI). I'm on the border of having enough in my blood to be effective at 30 mg.

I take 1mg of abilify as an add on to effexor and mirtazapine for depression and/or anxiety. I'm not really sure what my diagnosis is at this point. I split a 2mg pill. I've tried twice to go up in dose and take 2mg or 5mg per day but both times I just couldn't stand it for some reason and dropped back to 1mg. Then after being on 1mg for a couple years, I started wondering if it was doing anything so I stopped taking it with my pdoc's permission just to see what would happen since even generic abilify is expensive. Well, on day 5 after stopping the abilify, I felt like I was ruminating endlessly on depressing stuff. It could just have been some kind of reverse placebo effect but I figured I'd go back on the 1mg just in case. Could be a therapeutic dose for me or could just be my imagination.

I think I'm somewhat sensitive to certain meds. I'm on a "normal" dose of effexor and mirtazapine but I get by on only 1 mg of valium a day (I split a 2mg pill) and take just 5mg of adderall most days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aquarian said:

I take 1mg of abilify as an add on to effexor and mirtazapine for depression and/or anxiety. I'm not really sure what my diagnosis is at this point. I split a 2mg pill. I've tried twice to go up in dose and take 2mg or 5mg per day but both times I just couldn't stand it for some reason and dropped back to 1mg. Then after being on 1mg for a couple years, I started wondering if it was doing anything so I stopped taking it with my pdoc's permission just to see what would happen since even generic abilify is expensive. Well, on day 5 after stopping the abilify, I felt like I was ruminating endlessly on depressing stuff. It could just have been some kind of reverse placebo effect but I figured I'd go back on the 1mg just in case. Could be a therapeutic dose for me or could just be my imagination.

I think I'm somewhat sensitive to certain meds. I'm on a "normal" dose of effexor and mirtazapine but I get by on only 1 mg of valium a day (I split a 2mg pill) and take just 5mg of adderall most days. 

Thank you for this input.  It definitely makes me think.  I suppose everyone is more or less sensitive to meds.  

2 hours ago, jt07 said:

It depends on what you are taking it for. For depression, 5 mg is therapeutic. It may not be therapeutic for psychosis though. I need doses over 10 mg because otherwise I have terrible anxiety and it didn't work for me at less than 10 mg. I am taking 30 mg now because I also take carbamazepine (Tegretol) which interacts with Abilify and cuts the effective dose way, way down (like by 75% according to the PI). I'm on the border of having enough in my blood to be effective at 30 mg.

My doc said we might go down to 5mg eventually.  It could be that even at a low does it's the glue that hold me together.  Maybe I'm super sensitive to the drug. Who knows.   

I think everyone reacts differently and metabolizes differently to abilify on any given dose.  ie, 5 mg is low for me and wouldn't be doing anything.  I am up at 30 mg, my therapeutic dose.  Anything lower doesn't help.

I mean it does metabolize in everyone, but some people metabolize meds faster than normal.  Maybe that is why I am on high doses of some of my meds.

Abilify is a strange drug, and everyone seems to react differently. For me, I can't take more than 2mg if I want to sleep... ever. Even at 2mg, I can only sleep 4-6h and that's it. But man does it help kick my depression.

I was IP and the pdoc in charge decided to dose me at 2mg twice a day, despite me telling him that I can't tolerate more than 2mg. So on day three, I fell asleep at 5:30a, and the rounding pdoc came in at 7am to check on me, and I nearly beat him with my pillow. He asked me why I was so upset, so I explained the importance of sleep to me and the idiocy of dosing me twice a day with a drug that has a 75h half-life (I was being reeeeaaal sarcastic, but serious.) He stopped the extra 2mg, and I got to sleep intermittently for the next 72h while the level evened out in my body.

My point: Abilify is a crazy drug, and some pdocs just don't understand it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtac said:

Abilify is a strange drug, and everyone seems to react differently. For me, I can't take more than 2mg if I want to sleep... ever. Even at 2mg, I can only sleep 4-6h and that's it. But man does it help kick my depression.

I was IP and the pdoc in charge decided to dose me at 2mg twice a day, despite me telling him that I can't tolerate more than 2mg. So on day three, I fell asleep at 5:30a, and the rounding pdoc came in at 7am to check on me, and I nearly beat him with my pillow. He asked me why I was so upset, so I explained the importance of sleep to me and the idiocy of dosing me twice a day with a drug that has a 75h half-life (I was being reeeeaaal sarcastic, but serious.) He stopped the extra 2mg, and I got to sleep intermittently for the next 72h while the level evened out in my body.

My point: Abilify is a crazy drug, and some pdocs just don't understand it.

Thats interesting.  It just goes to show that a very tiny dose can be effective.