CrazyBoards.org

question about trying meds second or third time

if a med was stopped previously because of discomforting or unbearable side effects is it likely to not work as well or liable to stop working sooner  the second or third time? in other words would it be rendering a med a non-option after the first try. i'm mostly interested in how this relates to AAPs and drugs like lamictal. i've been on multiple AAPs. lamictal and zyprexa lled to dramatic improvement but i had to stop because of manic switch and weight gain with zyprexa and suspicious looking rash with lamictal (not sure if it was SJS). the reason id like to try the meds again is partly because i hadn't tried metformin  which can prevent or reverse the weight gain with certain meds. .i also seemed to have good results with seroquel. and depakote er

Edited by y1gFwo

It depends on the med and on the person. There is absolutely no guarantee that a med won't work again. I personally found that risperidone didn't work as well for me the second time around, but all my other meds did including Lamictal.

On 6/2/2016 at 0:36 PM, jt07 said:

It depends on the med and on the person. There is absolutely no guarantee that a med won't work again. I personally found that risperidone didn't work as well for me the second time around, but all my other meds did including Lamictal.

What about manic switches due to Lamictal and Zyprexa? i had hypomanic reactionss on both of those meds, would it be likely that id have the same reaction the second time? and is that necessarily a bad/dangerous thing??

Edited by y1gFwo

1 minute ago, y1gFwo said:

What about manic switches due to Lamictal and Zyprexa? i had manic switches on both of those meds, (technically hypomanic) would it be likely that id have the same reaction the second time? and is that necessarily a bad/dangerous thing??

There is no way for me or anyone to tell how you will react to a med. It might be the same or it might not. People's body chemistry can change over time so it's possible to have a different reaction but know one can possibly know how they will affect you.

That said, it really is an unusual to have a manic switch from Zyprexa. Usually Zyprexa is prescribed to treat mania/hypomania.

it's very frustrating that so many meds have unwanted or opposite effects in my case. i feel like i'm running out of options. atm i'm tapering off my SSRI lexapro because my therapist and psychiatrist want to get a better idea of what the underlying problem is. it's been 10 days since last dose, which would i think mean that it's about 2-3 days lexapro's been cleared from my system, and so far no serious symptoms aside from horrendous brain fog (apologies if my writing is clumsy or awkward) and dissociative symptoms and anxiety. also not taking any other psych meds. any ideas/insights/feedback/suggestions? i need all the help i can get right now

Edited by y1gFwo

The first time I was on lithium, the dose was just too high (stupid fucking pdoc)... A couple of years later, I tried again, and it's been golden. 

I also re-tried abilify, had a horrendous reaction of muscle stiffness.

It's all YMMV, I'm afraid.

18 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Are you sure your mania when taking zyprexa wasnt from breakthrough symptoms or not high enough dose?

the symptoms from the reaction i had (which involved heightened senses and much faster speech) were not there before i started zyprexa and cleared up once i stopped taking it, however i don't think the zyprexa was halted because of mania but more so because of the weight issues. i was also taking prozac, maybe the synergistic reaction between fluoxetine and zyprexa contributed to the mania. i hadn't considered that a higher dose would have helped, i guess i kind of figured that a higher dose would make the mania worse. hmm, maybe i'll give it a try again at some point and see what happens.

Edited by y1gFwo

• 4 weeks later...

Once upon a time, I was totally anti-crazy meds. I started taking Wellbutrin to quit smoking and it felt like blinders were taken off my eyes. Think of every OMG cliche and that was Wellbutrin for me. The downside? Slept about three hours a night. I'm an insomniac so things that fuck with my sleep are not okay. I had a new pdoc (my first) at the time and she wouldn't give me anything to sleep. I went off Wellbutrin. Life went back to 'normal' aka no blue skies and silver linings and Wellbutrin never worked again for me. Ever. I tried repeatedly over a ten year period hoping that I could feel that good again and no luck. I jumped on the crazymed bandwagon after that because I realized I'd hit something I couldn't reason with.

For me, once a med stops working, I'm done with it. It will never work again.

Wellbutrin was the only one that I discontinued the first time by the doctor's choice and never worked again. I've been on and off Seroquel successfully a few times with it working the same for each time period. I've been on and off Gabapentin too with no noticeable difference but that was within a very short time frame.

I'm terrified of going off Geodon despite all my doctors absolutely hating it.  It's the only thing keeping me from utter despair.

I have had a couple of different meds work for me again after a gap of 4-6 years, but they worked for a shorter period of time the second time than the first.

I took Wellbutrin for 20 years, then decided it was making me anxious. After a year, we decided it wasn't at fault, and put me back on it; it works just as well if not better this time. So now we're on year 21.

I am currently re-trying Zyprexa.

The first time I tried it, it made my ankles swell right up and it went down on my allergies list.

So many drugs haven't worked for me that they thought they might give it another go and just keep a close eye on things.

I'm 4 days in and so far so good - no swelling at least.