CrazyBoards.org

Shit things people have said and what I'd love to say back to them

"If you think happy thoughts and go out into the sun everyday you'll find your mental illness will go away".

Yeah, thanks for the advice and I'd love to swallow a rainbow and shit glitter because I hear that too is a cure for everything from mental illness to cancer but I don't need your "advice" because I'm the one who lives with this not you. Now kindly, fuck off.

You're not going to kill me are you?

Not this week, I'm still trying to work out what to do with all the bodies I've buried but it might be your turn next week.

"I know how you feel. I've been sad before and I've been really excited and sometimes I've had these weird thoughts."

Oh you poor sausage, what a tragedy, but no, you don't know how I feel because you aren't me. Just because you've been sad or whatever doesn't mean you have a mental illness. Learn the difference between having normal fucking emotions and depression, mania, and schizophrenia (or "weird thoughts").

I had depression once but I told myself to get over it so you can too.

Anyone who says they can tell themselves to get over depression never had it in the first place. If you tell other people to just get over it, then you're a wanker and not worth my time.

"You don't look sick"

What the fuck am I supposed to look like? Do you expect me to have two heads? Just so you know, I had my other head surgically removed and now I keep it in my freezer. 

Yes, these things have been said to me before.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

"If you think happy thoughts and go out into the sun everyday you'll find your mental illness will go away".

Yeah, thanks for the advice and I'd love to swallow a rainbow and shit glitter because I hear that too is a cure for everything from mental illness to cancer but I don't need your "advice" because I'm the one who lives with this not you. Now kindly, fuck off.

You're not going to kill me are you?

Not this week, I'm still trying to work out what to do with all the bodies I've buried but it might be your turn next week.

"I know how you feel. I've been sad before and I've been really excited and sometimes I've had these weird thoughts."

Oh you poor sausage, what a tragedy, but no, you don't know how I feel because you aren't me. Just because you've been sad or whatever doesn't mean you have a mental illness. Learn the difference between having normal fucking emotions and depression, mania, and schizophrenia (or "weird thoughts").

Anyone who says they can tell themselves to get over depression never had it in the first place. If you tell other people to just get over it, then you're a wanker and not worth my time.

"You don't look sick"

What the fuck am I supposed to look like? Do you expect me to have two heads? Just so you know, I had my other head surgically removed and now I keep it in my freezer. 

Yes, these things have been said to me before.

You are a master at this.  I pretty much lol'ed at every one of your mental comebacks.  

Thanks!

On a more serious not, some people have their heads up their asses too much.  :-)

• Like 1

You have great comebacks ... wish I had the guts to say those things.

I laughed so hard about the swallowing a rainbow and shitting glitter ...

Has anyone been told, "If you are depressed, go for a walk."  Don't you think I would if I could?  You really think I am choosing to have a MI over getting outside with others.  How can someone be depressed and at the same time go for a walk?  I can barely get out of a chair.

Feel free to add more to this in the form of a comeback ... I'm not the best with those.

• Like 1

Awesome. I have had some of those and am dumbstruck.

Maybe your "delusions" are fantasies because you are lonely"

Maybe you are the one having fantasies and having trouble dealing with reality.

(I am not good at this, but the stupid comments make my head want to explode)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, confused said:

Awesome. I have had some of those and am dumbstruck.

Maybe your "delusions" are fantasies because you are lonely"

Maybe you are the one having fantasies and having trouble dealing with reality.

I had a pdoc ask me once if it was all just in my head and if I was just bored. I was so dumbstruck I couldn't say anything. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:13 PM, dazed and confused said:

ITA.  My personal favorite was when I told someone they treated me like shit when I was suicidal and their response was "suicidal...that doesn't impress me.  I've been through harder times than you can imagine."

Oh, thanks for letting me know you win at the Whose Life Is The Hardest competition...because depression and suicidal ideation is *so* DIRECTLY correlated to how hard your life is, right?  No asshole, it's called having a mental illness. 

• Like 2

I liked this so much I tweeted asking for smart answers to stupid mental health questions/comments? The only response I have so far is to tell them to Fuck off. Not as eloquent as I would like, but that is pretty much what I am thinking at the time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, philosophin said:

ITA.  My personal favorite was when I told someone they treated me like shit when I was suicidal and their response was "suicidal...that doesn't impress me.  I've been through harder times than you can imagine."

Oh, thanks for letting me know you win at the Whose Life Is The Hardest competition...because depression and suicidal ideation is *so* DIRECTLY correlated to how hard your life is, right?  No asshole, it's called having a mental illness. 

Yeah, I can't tell you the number of times I've been told that I should work in a nursing home or a children's hospital to better "appreciate" my life.

I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten the "no meds are necessary/just fix your diet/exercise more/try yoga/etc" line of reasoning.  Most times I ignore, occasionally I'll bite back.

There's actually a really good article at The Mighty on this issue....called something like "what I don't need to hear about my psychiatric medications" or something to that effect. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, confused said:

I agree with you.  Sometimes it gets to me when I hear about what idiots tell people with MI.

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Yeah, I can't tell you the number of times I've been told that I should work in a nursing home or a children's hospital to better "appreciate" my life.

I don't have words for this one on how I would react/what comeback I'd give ... other than being really pissed off.

18 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten the "no meds are necessary/just fix your diet/exercise more/try yoga/etc" line of reasoning.  Most times I ignore, occasionally I'll bite back.

There's actually a really good article at The Mighty on this issue....called something like "what I don't need to hear about my psychiatric medications" or something to that effect. 

Don't even get me started about trying yoga instead of being on meds.  I'm sure yoga works for some people but at least for me, it isn't happening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:13 PM, dazed and confused said:

"You don't look sick"

What does that even mean?!

Edited by Persona_Is_Life
Unquote quote.

12 hours ago, Persona_Is_Life said:

What does that even mean?!

From what I know, people who say, "you don't look sick" are usually saying that you don't have a MI because you look fine to them, and nothing looks wrong ... when you are actually struggling to get through the next minute/hour/etc.

• Like 2