CrazyBoards.org

Don't even know where to start.......

Hi everyone,

Been a while. I took a break from here, I think I was just burying my head in the sand. The anxiety has become overwhelming again, the depression has kicked in because why not kick the proverbial dog when it's down? I have other health issues going on and I don't even know where to start with it all. My doctor is bad. They're a great person, they care a bit but they don't have a clue what to do so I saw another. They didn't care at all, didn't even remember that they told me to come back a week later, didn't refresh themselves on my file before I walked in the door and got everything I had told them the week before wrong when they read back my notes. Hopeless.

I know I'm at the point where I need to revisit meds. But they wreck life temporarily and I've not had much luck with any of them. Doxepin probably did the most but I couldn't take more than 10mg and even at that dose I was a zombie all day and couldn't exercise because everything felt too heavy. It didn't help the depression at all at that dose, just took the edge off the anxiety.

I have a script for zoloft but it has a tendency to cause diarrhea and I already have IBS (I go either way really easily) so I'm scared to start it. I also have a script for Cymbalta, scared to start it too because of the digestive side effects I've read about, but I need to do something. I'm tired of my own brain. It's exhausting. Tossing up whether to just start on the Doxepin again and then add something else to it (lexapro? The zoloft?) once it's kicked in a little but can't find a doctor who has any idea of what they're doing and my pdoc didn't listen to me at all when I told them what worked and what didn't (and cost me an absolute bomb every time I went).

Anyway, just needed to vent. I missed this place. Thanks for the ears.

I can relate . I will say that cymbalta has been a miracle drug for me . The first week was a bitch but it was worth it . I have a tendency for the stomach Ickes too but cymbalta didn't do that to me

glad you are back..... I understand I took a break myself

• Like 1

Do you think the anxiety is causing the IBS to act up?  It does for me sometimes. 

I think you need to keep trying to find a pdoc who you like and get along with.  Doxepin doesn't seem like it is doing you any good if you are a zombie all day.  Have you tried a lower dose of it (as long as pdoc approves it)?  Maybe by being on a lower dose, that might work better for you and might make you less sleepy during the day.

In the meantime though, could you ask your current pdoc for something else for anxiety?

If your pdoc doesn't like benzos, maybe ask for propranolol?  It is a beta blocker, but also can help with anxiety (along with headaches and a few other things I can't think of at the momen

9 hours ago, melissaw72 said:
15 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

Yeah, I had a bad time with sertraline. It made me on edge all the time, it made my depression get really bad and crying my eyes out, so I came off it after just two weeks. I assume this isn't the case of antidepressants which actually work for you?

The one that worked (citalopram) for 9 months worked okay. It hauled me out of the hole I was in but I experienced a complete flattening of personality so was taken off it. I was really good for about a month after I stopped taking it, then everything started to creep back in. The Doxepin isn't enough to do much, mostly just make me sleep. Generally the one's that really disagree with me have ranged from making me drive on the wrong side of the road, to lactating, to not being able to leave my bathroom. I did try to get back on the citalopram but even even at 5mg I was having waves of panic attacks for 2 days straight. I pretty much curled up in my bed, crying my eyes out wishing for it to end. Sertraline sounds like it was horrendous for you :(

9 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Do you think the anxiety is causing the IBS to act up?  It does for me sometimes. 

I think you need to keep trying to find a pdoc who you like and get along with.  Doxepin doesn't seem like it is doing you any good if you are a zombie all day.  Have you tried a lower dose of it (as long as pdoc approves it)?  Maybe by being on a lower dose, that might work better for you and might make you less sleepy during the day.

In the meantime though, could you ask your current pdoc for something else for anxiety?

If your pdoc doesn't like benzos, maybe ask for propranolol?  It is a beta blocker, but also can help with anxiety (along with headaches and a few other things I can't think of at the momen

It's definitely a cycle. I'm always on high alert as far as the anxiety goes. What goes on physically with the IBS though seems to have zero bearing on the pain. If it wasn't for the pain/pains/cramps I could deal with it a whole lot better.

You're right about the doxepin. I think I just like the idea of it because it feels.......safe. I did try 5mg but it didn't do anything at that dose (If I remember correctly the 10mg was really only a sleep aid kind of dose but it had the bonus of reducing my anxiety just a little, possibly because I was too dopey to feel it). I might look around and see if I can find another pdoc in my area to try. The last one was nice but he just kept throwing meds at me without really listening much. I haven't seen him in over a year. Thanks for the advice!