CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

My pdoc and I are working on lowering my Lamictal. I have been researching Tegretol and am interested in introducing a low dose of it to my Lamictal. Right now I'm at 300mg/day of the Lamictal. He is leaning against mixing ACs, but I've read in these forums of people doing it all the time.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance :)

troop

I have been on two anticonvulsants at the same time, most recently depakote and lamictal.

I have also taken tegretol and lamictal together many years ago. Had no problems there.

As far as I know, Tegretol decreases the level of lamictal so people tend to be on a higher dose of lamictal when taking tegretol. On the flip side depakote increases the level of lamictal....as far as I know!

I take Tegretol and Lamictal without any problems. To be honest, I'm not sure what the Lamictal does for me, but the Tegretol has been a lifesaver. I'd rather not rock the boat and remove the Lamictal just quite yet. For me - and this might be different for others - the cognitive side effects from Tegretol are not as bad as those from Lamictal.

I gather that it is not unusual for people who have seizure disorders to mix ACs. 

14 hours ago, jt07 said:

For me - and this might be different for others - the cognitive side effects from Tegretol are not as bad as those from Lamictal.

What kind of cognitive impairments have you experienced with Lamictal, and on what dose? Also, what does of Tegretol are you now taking concurrently with the Lamictal?

I take 800 mg of Tegretol per day and 200 mg of Lamictal. Right now I don't really have any cognitive side effects at all. But I did get cognitive side effects (word forgetting, poor short-term memory) when I was on 400 mg of Lamictal.

I seemed to have opened up this can of worms so I want to reiterate again that at 200 mg of Lamictal and 800 of Tegretol, I have few if any cognitive problems.

The reason I introduced the idea of cognitive impairment is because I wanted to say that the cognitive impairment due to Tegretol isn't worse and may be less that that of Lamictal. If you are taking Lamictal without any cognitive side effects, you should do alright on Tegretol. At least, that has been my experience.