CrazyBoards.org

Mania or Hypermania who cares

I have been reading post and helping where I can, but now I need to ask for some more help myself.. ;)

I finally found a Pdoc that doesnt need meds himself... Six months ago he put me on the AD cymbalta and increased it up to 60mgs slowly.. He added Lamictal and titrated up to 200mg also slowly.. I have found my depression to have been deminished and I am loving every minute of it... my moods were stablizing until last week... I have been bouncing off the walls again with manic episodes.. Last night at work I snapped and went off on a fellow worker.. It led me into a intense manic state and I walked around the building talking to myself.. I went outside and tried to chill out but I felt almost like I should have went home.. I just went to this job 1.5 years ago and I need it.. I went to my locker and took a quick fix of Klonopin only 1.5 mgs to prevent from getting to drowsy.  It worked long enough to get off the shift... I came home and was up half the night... I took a large dose of Lunesta and was able to sleep some but tis morning I of course have that air head drugged kinda feeling.

I will relate this to my pdoc but he seems to think that lamictal is suppose to help stop mania.. from the research I have done on this med it helps more with manic depression and mood swings.. mood swings but not intense mania..

My questions are these: has anyone experienced these symptons while on lamictal? and do you think possible larger dosages may be an answer? or can any one suggest meds designed strickly for the manic episodes or the high side??

anything you can input on would be helpful??

I would get rid of the Cymbalta first. That is much more likely to cause mania than the lamictal. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer first, with antidepressant properties for some. I know at least one bpI pure manic (no depression) who is stabilized on lamictal. And to stop mania instantly, try an antipsychotic.

good luck,

If you have been bouncing off the walls and are now snapping at people you could be slidding more toward a mixed state, but I don't think we can say exactly.

You are correct that Lamictal is not recommended for acute manic states.  But that is not a reason to dump it.  Consider how much higher the manic might be without lamictal or how much sooner you would have had this episode.

My impression, based on my mixed state episodes, is that a Pdoc would typically prescribe something like Seroquel or Risperdone for a short period to knock you down, while probably either adding some other med or increasing one of your current meds.

Give your Pdoc a call, make them understand that it is urgent.  There is no reason to continue in agony or risk losing your job from being stoic and taking it like a man.

A.M.

Mania comes on for me like a mac truck too.  My version is like a bad acid trip without the acid.  My senses become overwhelmed and there is just too much to take in and if I don't take seroquel immediately, I start to think I need to push people down in order to feel better.  What saves me from doing so and ending up committed is that it does come on so fast that I can see the changes.

I had a manic attack on the way to work yesterday and was shaking so badly I couldn't get on the subway.  I called work and told them i just had a seizure, b/c explaining mania is fucking impossible.  Then I sat on a street corner in the rain, crying, and trying to hold myself together until the Seroquel made me so completely stoned I could go home and crawl into bed.  I was afraid I would never come down. 

first, there is no reason to try to brave it out or suffer. Meds hold the key to controlling mania. As much belief as I put into trying natural ways (exercise, diet, other stuff) in dealing with our moods, nothing can control a mania short of meds.

Get a prn for Zyprexa at least, I'd recommend (and am NOT a pdoc). Cymbalta could be dangerous, but not too bad if your Lamictal works. I'm off of work AGAIN this week, this time because I'm being switched from Risp. to Zyprexa.

Zyprexa is also handy for getting rid of our delusions and random weird thoughts. Sounds like you may need an AAP in your life. Welcome to BP1 land. Our dance with the AAP never seems to end  ;)

Archived