CrazyBoards.org

calming effect after taking Adderall XR

is it unusual for someone to feel calmer after taking a stimulant? i had this reaction a while ago and my psychiatrist didn't know what to make of it. i was looking for an energy boost and i didn't expect that kind of reaction, i was also quite drowsy. so i guess my psychiatrist figured that the drug wasn't working since i was so sedated from the drug. it was a fairly low dose, like 5 mg.  so does any of this necessarily mean anything?

Edited by y1gFwo

Well, second person experience, but my 16yo is on adderall, he's ADHD. Yes, he calms down, that's the weird thing with stimulants and add/ADHD folk. I can definitely tell a difference if he forgets his med. Likewise, he can drink a strong cup of coffee, and go to sleep soon after. Something about the way stimulants affect these types of brains.

Fwiw, he takes 15mg twice a day, instant release, not XR.

On 6/5/2016 at 9:33 AM, y1gFwo said:

is it unusual for someone to feel calmer after taking a stimulant? i had this reaction a while ago and my psychiatrist didn't know what to make of it. i was looking for an energy boost and i didn't expect that kind of reaction, i was also quite drowsy. so i guess my psychiatrist figured that the drug wasn't working since i was so sedated from the drug. it was a fairly low dose, like 5 mg.  so does any of this necessarily mean anything?

For people with ADHD, feeling calm on a Stimulant means that it's working. If you don't have ADHD, the calm/sedating effect could be caused by your brain's relation with dopamine (which is what Stimulants primarily effect). 

I have ADHD combined type, and stimulants neither give me energy nor sedate me. I do feel a sense of "calm" because it helps with my hyperactivity and inner restlessness. Stimulants also help me focus on one thing at a time throughout the day, so I'm not all over the place batshit crazy (which definitely helps my brain calm down). TBH Stimulants do make me a bit tired, but I correlate that with my brain not having to do 100000000 things at once giving my brain the ability to slow down  :P