CrazyBoards.org

I am not sure how to say this, but I am freaking out, and considering that I am in an alternate reality than I was in the 90's. I remember  a "Windows 97" and a Windows version that featured a "spot" that was red that, when clicked on, allowed you to access menu features (kinda like a quick-access menu). He says they didn't exist. All info I read online seems to point to a questionable existence of Windows 97, and nothing for the windows version with the spot. I know I used this version of windows with the spot for about a year or so (between 95 and 98). I'm scared I am fucking crazy and nobody else remembers this. I KNOW  I had it. The only thing I can think of right now is the Many Worlds Interpretation. Anyone have any input? 

You probably did have a Windows that had a spot.  However, it likely doesn't mean anything.  The spot could very well have been a uniqueness to your specific computer along with others.  The idea of being in a different reality than you were in the 90s is simply implausible.  Even though I don't have schizophrenia or anything that causes delusions, I will admit that computer glitches tend to make me paranoid about different stuff too, although I never even thought of the whole alternate reality thing myself.  So, we definitely have that in common, bugging about computer idiosyncracies and malfunctions <_<  There's simply no reason to pay any attention to it though or anything else related to electronics.  Computers can be strange at times, but it's nothing to worry about.  Also, memory can be flawed.  It's possible that you remembered it wrong, and there really was no spot.  Either way, it's nothing to be concerned about.  I can assure you of that. 

A good rule of thumb when it comes to these types of ideas is 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'.  Personally, I would never entertain the idea of something as incredible as being in a different reality than I was in the past without some truly extraordinary and utterly awe inspiring evidence behind it.  A dot on a computer screen certainly isn't extraordinary, it isn't really even noteworthy.  There is no scientific evidence to indicate that one even could find themselves in a different reality than the past, and there is no reason to think such a thing ever occurred.  I can assure you that you aren't the first.  Plus, now that you mention it, I think I remember having a red dot on one of my computers too when I was a kid.  I think one of the Windows had it, 95 perhaps?  Not sure, I think it might've been some kind of custom version.  I'm pretty sure I had the exact same computer though, whatever it was.   

Edited by Steve223

11 hours ago, Steve223 said:

A good rule of thumb when it comes to these types of ideas is 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'.  Personally, I would never entertain the idea of something as incredible as being in a different reality than I was in the past without some truly extraordinary and utterly awe inspiring evidence behind it.  A dot on a computer screen certainly isn't extraordinary, it isn't really even noteworthy.  There is no scientific evidence to indicate that one even could find themselves in a different reality than the past, and there is no reason to think such a thing ever occurred.  I can assure you that you aren't the first.  Plus, now that you mention it, I think I remember having a red dot on one of my computers too when I was a kid.  I think one of the Windows had it, 95 perhaps?  Not sure, I think it might've been some kind of custom version.  I'm pretty sure I had the exact same computer though, whatever it was.   

I don't know what this does for anyone else, but if anyone tries to use logic to convince me my beliefs are wrong or false, I start to wonder if they're in on the whole thing and stop trusting them. Like their denial gets incorporated into my beliefs as a sign that they're trying to trick or confuse me.

All I mean is, be careful how you do this sort of thing.