CrazyBoards.org

I think klonopin is pooping out

I have been on klonopin for three years and before that I was on Xanax for a year and before that I was on klonopin for two years so combined that makes fives yrs of klonopin usage.

im at three mg a day and it just ain't doing it for me. My last doc died and I don't think my new doc is inclined or even willing to give me something with as much punch as a benzo has. I mean what is there? If you have taken something as strong as a benzo and antidepressant is not going to cut it.

so I don't know what to do. I see him next Tuesday do I'll bring it up but man this sucks.

I was taking 3 mg per day for about 3 years also, and I developed a tolerance to that so I decided to just go off it because it wasn't doing me any good. I mean, there was no difference if I took a dose or if I forgot a dose.

I don't know what to recommend other than if you need a benzo for your anxiety, you are going to have to switch. I'm a little discouraged by the anti-benzo climate that prevails today, but I think if you can make a strong enough case, you will be able to get one, especially since they are allowing you to be on 3 mg of Klonopin right now. It's looking like you don't have a choice and sticking with the Klonipin is not going to help.

• Like 2

I told the nurse and made sure they know before hand that I'm suffering. I get to see the head shrink instead of the part time one. So it makes a better case for me. I know doctors are these days about benzos but they know I have General Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder plus OCD which combined makes the anxiety so bad that I throw up because I'm so anxious.

it happens a lot in the morning when I wake up from a PTSD dream and I'm like in another world for an hour till my Brian starts to realize it was all a dream. 

Man, I hope they help me out. I shouldn't have to suffer and I've been with them for going on seven years so I know I have a history but I get no euphoria from benzos. No matter what kind it is. All they do is take away the gripping anxiety that just tears at my chest.

please pray or send good thoughts my way because I'm not going to go through no benzo for anxiety.

• 6 months later...

If you're building a tolerance to a daily dose, you can do what I did and stop taking them everyday. You can take them when it gets really bad and white knuckle it the rest of the time (I know, it sounds horrible - but it's better than a tolerance). My pdoc has me on 2mg a day x2 of clonz as needed "daily" (which consufses me, I think she means take 4mg daily?) but I don't. When I have bad anxiety I take my gabapentin and then if it is still heavy, I do take my klonopins. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 6/9/2016 at 3:16 AM, sonicwhite said:

Man, I hope they help me out. I shouldn't have to suffer and I've been with them for going on seven years so I know I have a history but I get no euphoria from benzos. No matter what kind it is. All they do is take away the gripping anxiety that just tears at my chest.

I really hope they help you out too.

Klonopin works better for me to keep a stable level in my body ... ie, I take it on a schedule 0.5 mg/d, twice a day.  If I took it as needed it wouldn't do a thing for me.  I haven't built a tolerance on that dose, and I have been on it for a very long time (but that is IME). YMMV.

I also use xanax for breakthrough anxiety, but only a very tiny dose of 0.5 mg/day ... and I snap it in half ... the whole pill will make me too tired/drowsy.  I haven't developed a tolerance to that either.  I don't use it everyday, but it is there when I need it.

Edited by melissaw72
spelled a word wrong

Have you tried Valium? It might be a good alternative to Klonopin. Longer half-life. The equivalent dose of 3 mg Klonopin for Valium would be 60 mg/day, which exceeds the maximum dose, but if you can make a case for it, you could start out with 60 mg/day and titrate down to 40 mg/day, the max dose.

Another possibility would be Librium, but the equivalent dose of Librium for 3 mg Klonopin would be 210 mg, which exceeds the max dose of 100 mg/day. So again, if your pdoc would be open to it, s/he could prescribe you the 210 mg Librium and you could downtitrate to 100 mg.

Yet another possibility would be Tranxene, which the equivalent dose would be 90 mg/day, which I think is within the therapeutic dose range (but for alcohol withdrawal... the max dose for anxiety I think is 60 mg). It, too, has quite a long half-life.

You could also add something like trazodone (Desyrel), or doxepin (Sinequan), but I see you're already on mirtazapine (Remeron).