Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Hi guys...so I had a suggestion from a comment on a vlog I did of someone suggesting I ask my Dr about switching to a combo of Zyprexa and Abilify. I currently take Risperdal and Abilify (along with Lamictal and Effexor) and the cocktail is NOT WORKING :(:(:( I recently started the Abilify at 5mg, then 10mg and I seem to be rapid cycling with a growing amount of paranoia and anxiety. It was suggested by the commenter that the Zyprexa will help the anxiety and some of the psychosis I'm experiencing (voices, shadow people, paranoia) and the Abilify will keep me from falling asleep all day and help with negative symptoms associated with my Schizoaffective Disorder. Please give any advice you have about either or both of these meds... I can't see my Dr any sooner than the 15th and that is about 6 days away. We have tried, and maxed out, pretty much every other antipsychotic out there and nothing lasts for long. We tried Zyprexa alone about two years ago but I COULD NOT FUNCTION....I was falling asleep trying to work, drive, etc. Not good. Don't know if it would have taken care of the symptoms had I given it a longer run, but I couldn't lose my job and so I dropped it. Anyone try it and had the sleepiness go away after your body got used to it, like a few days or so?? I'd like to try it again as I've heard some good things...other than weight gain which is hard for me as a recovering anorexic...ugh.

I need feedback pwetty pwetty pwease :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take a small dose of Zyprexa nightly. It doesn't make me feel tired, but I have gained weight. Worth it though, I am a fan of this med. Good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soulgr4ffiti4rtist said:

We have tried, and maxed out, pretty much every other antipsychotic out there and nothing lasts for long. We tried Zyprexa alone about two years ago but I COULD NOT FUNCTION....I was falling asleep trying to work, drive, etc. Not good. Don't know if it would have taken care of the symptoms had I given it a longer run, but I couldn't lose my job and so I dropped it. Anyone try it and had the sleepiness go away after your body got used to it, like a few days or so?? I'd like to try it again as I've heard some good things...other than weight gain which is hard for me as a recovering anorexic...ugh.

I need feedback pwetty pwetty pwease :) 

Have you ever tried a combination of meds, more than what you are on now?  Maybe a single med doesn't work, but 2 might help as they work together.  Has your DR tried combos of other meds combined together?  There are hundreds of combinations of all the meds out there.  Has your pdoc ever mentioned adding a med to your current meds that could possibly help?  If not, I would bring it up (combo of meds) with your pdoc.

I have been on both zyprexa and abilify, but not at the same time.  I am currently on abilify, and I've only had good experiences with it.  I have been on zyprexa years ago, and all it did was make me gain weight and made me soooo tired.  So I had to stop it.  But I am NOT saying it is a 'bad' med to be on; some people find no weight loss and use it only as PRN.  So YMMV.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Have you ever tried a combination of meds, more than what you are on now?  Maybe a single med doesn't work, but 2 might help as they work together.  Has your DR tried combos of other meds combined together?  There are hundreds of combinations of all the meds out there.  Has your pdoc ever mentioned adding a med to your current meds that could possibly help?  If not, I would bring it up (combo of meds) with your pdoc.

I have been on both zyprexa and abilify, but not at the same time.  I am currently on abilify, and I've only had good experiences with it.  I have been on zyprexa years ago, and all it did was make me gain weight and made me soooo tired.  So I had to stop it.  But I am NOT saying it is a 'bad' med to be on; some people find no weight loss and use it only as PRN.  So YMMV.

 

So far we're just starting the combinations approach...that's why when I got a suggestion of Zyprexa and Abilify I figured I'd come see what others have to say and maybe suggest it to my Dr. I'm just concerned about the side effects of the Zyprexa (sleepiness, weight gain) but it's supposed to be really good for anxiety and paranoia I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soulgr4ffiti4rtist said:

So far we're just starting the combinations approach...that's why when I got a suggestion of Zyprexa and Abilify I figured I'd come see what others have to say and maybe suggest it to my Dr. I'm just concerned about the side effects of the Zyprexa (sleepiness, weight gain) but it's supposed to be really good for anxiety and paranoia I think.

Not sure about paranoia (I could be totally wrong about that though; just a guess), but anxiety it does, when you think how sleepy/groggy you get after taking it.  Also good for stopping a full blown mania coming on (from what others have said here on CB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I'm in a sort of mixed episode right now. I feel watched and followed and like my privacy is constantly invaded. I just want to run far far away and scream for everyone to leave me alone. I'm getting Shadows telling me horrible things will happen if I eat so I'm afraid to eat anything and I know that's just adding to my anxiety. I just want help but I have to make it to my Dr appt and then I hope something will work fast. I just want to retreat from all stressors and rest...I can't sleep longer than about 20 mins at a time. If I wasn't so afraid of drs I would go to a hospital or something but I don't know what they would do. I want to just take a week off of work (until I see my Dr) but I can't put that kind of stress on my coworkers...there's only three of us... I just need safety and I feel like everything and everyone is dangerous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, soulgr4ffiti4rtist said:

I feel like I'm in a sort of mixed episode right now. I feel watched and followed and like my privacy is constantly invaded. I just want to run far far away and scream for everyone to leave me alone. I'm getting Shadows telling me horrible things will happen if I eat so I'm afraid to eat anything and I know that's just adding to my anxiety. I just want help but I have to make it to my Dr appt and then I hope something will work fast. I just want to retreat from all stressors and rest...I can't sleep longer than about 20 mins at a time. If I wasn't so afraid of drs I would go to a hospital or something but I don't know what they would do. I want to just take a week off of work (until I see my Dr) but I can't put that kind of stress on my coworkers...there's only three of us... I just need safety and I feel like everything and everyone is dangerous

I hope your appt in a week goes well for you.

I can empathize with being watched, being followed, invasion of privacy.  Those delusions (and hallucinations with it) followed me for awhile.  I was glad when I was on the right meds and they went away.  I hope your DR can find a med/s that work/s for you.  Make sure to give the med about 6-8 weeks to get it fully in your system to see if it really works for you (unless there is a life-threatening side effect and you need to go off it sooner).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi--

im on that combo right now& came here for guidance myself--I also take Zoloft&lamictal. Have been taking Zyprexa for many years and am hoping the gradual change to more Abilify and much less Zyprexa will help more weight come off & more energy return. Pdoc warned me of voices but I'm determined to work through them if they should come up. I take(now)10mg Abilify 150 lamictal 300mg Zoloft and a total of 25zyprexa spread out---also 1mg of Xanax 4 times a day and a prn if needed. Seems like you&I are on this new journey together and probably many other folks too--hope it helps--

Edited by whitelight71
Forgot something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By sming
      Hey,
      So about 5pm every day of late, my mood just turns black. I can't buy a neutral (forget positive) cognition or emotion, I start to feel and think very negatively no matter what I do. Of course, I'm feeling and thinking badly beforehand, but it just sinks to another level, or depth if you will. 
      So I'm wondering if it's a med (or meds) that I'm taking that's losing effect around 5pm. I take the following meds - yes, it's a crazy-looking brew I know, but it allows me to function somewhat - at 6am (in milligrams):
      200 Provigil, 2.5 Abilify, 40 Fetzima, 30 Lexapro, 15 BuSpar, 150 Lyrica, 10 Percocet and these at 2pm:
      150 Lyrica, 15 BuSpar and these 4 times a day, where the last dose is typically 2pm:
      15 Adderall 10 Percocet (for chronic pain) and these at 7pm for sleep:
      150 Trazodone, 50 Benedryl It's impossible to confidently predict a "culprit" but if anyone has any hunches, I'd love to hear them.
      For example, today I'm splitting (some of) the 6am batch into two and  taking the second half at 2pm as an experiment. I feel that empirical experimentation might be the way to go because the theory is too complex with this many psychotropic medications in play. 
      Cheers , Pete
    • By CookieN
      Has anyone tried lysine with good results?
    • By CookieN
      Does the stage of life in which you get ill determines your prognosis and course of the illness? For example a person who gets ill after graduating from college and working several years will be more equipped to face life than a person who got ill and never worked (getting ill in the college stage of life or before)??
    • By CookieN
      Anyone on a very low dose of zyprexa?  How low? Do you have any side effects on this very low dose? Does it improve your symptoms? 
×
×
  • Create New...