CrazyBoards.org

What are the earliest signs that you are entering a psychotic episode?

For me, I start to feel like I am different from other people. Then I start to feel like reality isn't reality anymore; it's like I'm in a parallel universe that is disconnected from everyone around me. Sort of like my world has been replaced by another world that looks exactly the same, but isn't the same.

After I experience this for a period of time, the delusions and hallucinations start in earnest.

27 minutes ago, whome said:

Does that world look the same during every episode?  I find mine to be different, however the earliest signs for me are insomnia & no appetite.

Hm, I'm not really sure. The feeling is the same. It feels like the whole world around me, everything I see, is in a different universe than the one I'm in. 

For me it was when I started thinking thoughts back to people.  So I would just be sitting (wherever), and "someone" thinks a thought/question to me and I "respond" by thinking back to them.  From then on it got worse.  And like I am living another life that not many people know about.

• Like 1

Another thing is I start getting visual messages that show up as a short flash of an image, and also everything looks like it has a face. I don't hear voices, but certain sounds will sound like words. Hard to describe.

5 minutes ago, Dusk said:

Another thing is I start getting visual messages that show up as a short flash of an image, and also everything looks like it has a face. I don't hear voices, but certain sounds will sound like words. Hard to describe.

I think I understand you completely how you describe it ... I don't get full messages but I do get a couple words showing up in front of me, almost in a cloud-like formation.

The part about the faces ... when I am thinking of someone, that image of the person's head is over mine, so I can see who is thinking/"talking" to me (sometimes the voices are there, sometimes not).

When you say that "certain sounds will sound like words" ... do you mean like when the fan is on (ie), it sounds like someone it talking to you through it?  And therefore you hear the words?  Or the A/C, vacuum, water ... anything with a sort of resonation (sp) tone so the words come out , but as if someone is talking to you through the fan/water/etc?  I can empathize with you on that, if that is what you mean. 

It is very hard to describe like you said, especially people who have no clue and they just look at you (meaning anyone, not specifically you) like WTF.  They can't make sense of it all because they've never been through it.

For me it's mania.

Mania and psychosis never had a fixed pattern when considering 'themes' or 'subjects' but I think at least 'delusions of reference' were always present on psychotic episodes.

My existence is surely given a ton more importance than previously but I think this is related to mania.

I think 'delusions of reference' can be part of mania too.

So, I'll stick with mania.

Mania is the early sign that I'll become psychotic.

17 hours ago, whome said:

when this happens do you have the insight to know you're going to have an episode?

Not really. I'm just now learning that this is an early sign for me. Hoping to work with my tdoc to build more insight.

I don't think there are any signs for me that I'm becoming psychotic in any number of ways. It just hits me hard and happens on its own it seems.

How do you go about noticing signs that you are becoming psychotic or losing touch with others reality?

I guess I tend to just try my hardest to put the offending thought(s) aside for a while and distract. Although that isn't always effective and it comes back.

Then again I've had a long long day so I might not be thinking clearly enough?

I'd like to know and notice signs that psychosis is looming. Good topic aura! It's good to try to think of these things. If I think of any signs I will post again. 

• Like 1

@Wonderful.Cheese Thanks! I think I was curious about this strange kind of pre-psychosis that I get, where the world feels unreal but I'm not having delusions or strong hallucinations. This is all hindsight, of course. At the time I had no clue what was happening. I want to be more aware if this happens again.

Oh... another distortion that I notice as an early warning sign is that sounds seem much louder than usual and they come from the wrong directions. I get a sensory overload.

• 1 month later...

I was psychotic for a few years, and then I got help and have been somewhat stable for a while. Now, however, I'm recognizing that I'm slipping back into it. I can tell because I've started always feeling like there's someone or something behind me that's going to kill me or something. And I'm terrified of mirrors, mostly at night or alone because I think that there's someone in there that's going to kill me. So, just hints of paranoia starting up.