CrazyBoards.org

I have fairly frequent episodes of dissasociation or derealization.  I daily take mood stabilizers, antidepressant, and anti-anxiety meds.  I have had many years of psychotherapy.  My pdoc has been of limited help so far.  Does anyone know of medical treatments for DD?  This is really disrupting my life, personally and professionally.  Any info is appreciated.

I have found that anything that reduces anxiety helps. Do you notice if there is any pattern to when you dissociate.? I do it when I am anxious or around groups of people usually.

there have been small studies with naltrexone but there isn't a lot of data. A pdoc let me try it. I didn't notice a change. And, he forgot why he prescribed it to me.

i have a different pdoc now, and we mainly focus on other symptoms. I haven't even brought up DP and DDNOS.

i have talked about it with tdoc. She went over some grounding techniques. Mainly, to look around the room and identify items or colors.  She also showed me tapping exercises for anxiety, but I forget to do them.

i think there is a list of grounding techniques here. I like to touch things, like a table or my legs. Or go over who and where I am. 

Both depression and anxiety can cause dissociation. They can be treated with meds, and treating them can reduce the dissociation. Dissociation that happens for other reasons, such as trauma or through using certain drugs, can't be treated with meds. Instead you'll have to learn how to ground yourself in the world around you. This is a longer process, and can be quite frustrating. It does work, but it tends to feel like a pretty miserable learning curve.

You should be able to ask your pdoc to teach you ways to ground. They might say that they don't know of any, and then you can ask for a referral to a therapist or to another doc who can teach you these skills.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10.6.2016 at 5:31 AM, BP71 said:

I have fairly frequent episodes of dissasociation or derealization.  I daily take mood stabilizers, antidepressant, and anti-anxiety meds.  I have had many years of psychotherapy.

I have really similiar backround, my meds you can see from my signature, and I went through three years of intensive psychotherapy. Now Im in dialectic behaviour therapy (dunno if I wrote it right)

I feel from every med Im on currently that I really need them/they help. If I was to put them in some kind of order in means of effectiveness, Valproate is amazing and I just started Olanzapine, it feels good too. (I really need some kind of antipsychotic, due to these symptoms.)

But other things may be just as effective/or even better. Minimal stress/anxiety under control is a big thing for me.
After that comes good sleep rythm, and good healthy food.

Those are kind of "basic pillars" for me, if those are ok, I will go out to be social with good people and do hobbies I enjoy.