CrazyBoards.org

i've been experiencing this sort of weird thing where i'm prompted to speak and the way i respond doesn't match up with how i actually feel. i may sound awkwardly neutral or awkwardly relaxed in my tone of voice when i'm actually very agitated. take that combined with my difficulty forming thoughts the way i intend to and people very often misread me, it's a frustrating because i feel very socially disconnected.. i don't do this on purpose its completely involuntary. what's the name of this symptom and what conditions is it usually seen in?

Edited by y1gFwo

So you're saying your affect is incongruent to how you are feeling as opposed to incongruent to the situation. The latter can be a symptom of psychosis, but the former sounds more like it is part of your social mask to me. Social masks are often put on without our even realizing it. It is how we present ourselves to others in a way that hides our true selves. Everyone has a social mask. Some mask more than others though.

Edited by jt07
Once again because English is just too damn hard

Well, I don't know your diagnosis, but I suppose it could be part of a psychotic disorder but that wouldn't be my first thought. If you were laughing at someone's funeral where everyone was crying, then I'd say it's likely a symptom of psychosis. There is, however, such a thing known as limited affect that is a part of psychotic disorders as a negative symptom but there is no way really for us to tell.

Have you brought this up to your pdoc and tdoc? 

Edited by jt07
English again!

If it were dramatic examples, like laughing at a funeral, then psychosis would come to mind.  If it were more everyday type examples, I'd say it's probably because those around you encouraged you to keep your feelings private, and you tend to show little of the emotion that you feel.  This is actually a very common issue that people deal with, myself included. 

45 minutes ago, y1gFwo said:

i dunno, it seems to be a bit more than that. still, thanks for the replies everyone. :)

We certainly can't diagnose you so your doctor will be the definitive source to answer your question. However, would you rather this be a negative symptom and thus hard to treat, or would you rather it be social and be much more easily treated?

10 minutes ago, y1gFwo said:

it doesn't matter what i want it to be, i just want to be sure that i'm accurately identifying the issue.

Your doctor will be the one who identifies the issue. The best you can do is describe it to him/her as accurately as you can.