CrazyBoards.org

i have tried to take fish oil more recently for depression, anxiety and to hopefully clear brain fog from SSRI withdrawal, but it doesn't seem to agree with me even though i have taken it in the past without problems (much further back). i have tried different brands and formulations, some with more EPA and others with more DHA. is there any kind of test that my GP wouldn't consider quackery that i could take to to get a good idea as to whether there are vitamin deficiencies or what supplements would work? i mean maybe i should try krill oil or algae oil instead of fish oil, idk.. thanks, everyone.

Edited by y1gFwo

There is no test for fish oil. There are standard blood tests for some nutrients, off the top of my head, A, some of the B vitamins, D, and K. Most of the electrolytes, which are the minerals like Iron and sodium.

y1gFwo, I've never heard of tests for supplements like fish oil, but it might be a good idea to go to your GP and get blood tests to check for any vitamin/mineral/electrolyte deficiencies. Some of the most common deficiencies are vitamin D, B vitamins (e.g. B12), calcium and iron (leading to anaemia) and all of those and more can worsen depression and anxiety. Other fairly routine tests are fasting blood sugar and thyroid tests, so over here at least, it's generally recommended to have these tests to rule them out as causes.

I agree that there is no test for fish oil and agree that the tests that do exist are for vitamins or minerals, not fish oil or other supplements.

I have spent literally thousands on supplements back when I was searching for a natural cure for my depression and anxiety. Nothing helped. I mean zip. Supplements don't work. If they did everyone would use them and there would be no need for pharmaceuticals. Yes, they say fish oil might help as a supplement (not in lieu of meds), but I think the science is not completely settled on that, and it did nothing to help me.

6 hours ago, amianthus said:

y1gFwo, I've never heard of tests for supplements like fish oil, but it might be a good idea to go to your GP and get blood tests to check for any vitamin/mineral/electrolyte deficiencies. Some of the most common deficiencies are vitamin D, B vitamins (e.g. B12), calcium and iron (leading to anaemia) and all of those and more can worsen depression and anxiety. Other fairly routine tests are fasting blood sugar and thyroid tests, so over here at least, it's generally recommended to have these tests to rule them out as causes.

I will consider this, thanks :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I take the Bayer brand fish oil with Vitamin D3 in it.  It hasn't made me sick or caused any repeat fishy flavor.  It has no taste or smell to my knowledge.  

Vitamin D is another great vitamin that can give you energy so you might want to see if you are low in that as well.  We get Vitamin D mostly from the sunlight on bare skin and many of us have deficiencies.  I had a deficiency myself although it was nothing major.  

I want to put in a big plug for having your vitimin D (And other stuff) tested.  I have very little Vit D so taking a supliment is good for mood and?  Other stuff I think.  I found out from labs that I have anemia bad enough that taking Iron turns out to be a good idea.   *Normally guys don't need iron.   I had some heart issues and one of the things on the low list was Potassium * also good for blood pressure.

I think it is of great value to look at everything and get a big picture of whats going on.  ie Have a reason to take everything.   My GDoc is mainstream but if she can measure it and its wrong she has no problem writting it as an "approved" otc thing on Mychart.  And depending on your insurance if something is prescribed such as Vit D your Insurance may well cover it or some amount of the cost.  And personally I trust the stuff coming from my local pharmacy more then I do from the internet or some hippie health store.   God... I said Hippie?! 

11 hours ago, Overcast said:

Here is the current basic  understanding of omega 3 & mental health 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15907142/

Very cool link!  Now I know why GDoc has me taking so much of the stuff.   I thought it was just heart health.  ADHD folks check this out https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16188207/?i=5&from=/15907142/related

Very true notloki!  Calcium without Vit D is pointless.  When people age and get to the hip breaking time.  That could have been avoided just by adding Calcium.  *And Vit D