CrazyBoards.org

Hello everyone, so I have a question for those with schizoaffective disorder. When you experience mania or hypomania, do you find that it "neutralizes" the negative symptoms (cognitive difficulties, poor mental functioning etc) of psychosis/schizophrenia? Does it make you feel like how you used to before having schizoaffective so that it makes you feel like maybe youre "recovering" when really its just another side of the illness/ disorder? And maybe you appear more "normal" than classically hypomanic or manic because the mania brought you out of such a huge mental "deficit" so to speak?

Edited by crazytom1993

2 minutes ago, crazytom1993 said:

Hello everyone, so I have a question for those with schizoaffective disorder. When you experience mania or hypomania, do you find that it "neutralizes" the negative symptoms (cognitive difficulties, poor mental functioning etc) of psychosis/schizophrenia? Does it make you feel like how you used to before having schizoaffective so that it makes you feel like maybe youre "recovering" when really its just another side of the illness/ disorder? And maybe you appear more "normal" than hypomanic or manic because the mania brought you out of such a huge mental "deficit" so to speak?

1st bold:   Now that I think about it, it does to some extent.  Not totally "neutralize" the negative symptoms (saying this because sometimes when I am hypo/manic and my mind is going a mile a minute, I still have some frustration with understanding things like talking too fast while at the same time I cant think of a certain word, etc) ...  because there is still that frustration I wouldn't have if it was totally "neutralized." 

2nd bold:  I don't feel like I am recovering when it happens.  It is part of the MI. (Although in the beginning I thought I was better, but know now that it is part of the MI, and I will probably crash if I don't get it taken care with a med tweak or something to help calm me down).

3rd bold:  Yes, I think I may appear more "normal" when hypo/manic ... I have been told (when hypo/manic) that I don't look like anything is wrong just by looking at me.

But, I also know when to put on a happy face, and control my facial expressions if I need to.  And sometimes that happens automatically that I don't even realize it.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I wanted to comment that there are 2 types of schizoaffective disorder: bipolar type and depressive type so we don't all experience mania. I am the bipolar type and do.

I don't stay in hypomania for long periods of time. I have a prodromal period where I am irritable and a little paranoid before I switch into full blown psychotic mania.I don't have the fatigue and lack of motivation I have with "neutral" mood and my cognitive functioning seems faster (pattern recognition in overdrive). But, no I don't seem/feel more "normal".

I don't feel like anything is wrong with me at that stage.

I have been pretty stable for years now. I don't think I have been manic since 2006, but I have had some periods of depression or agitation. I seem more "normal" now and content and less anxious then I have in the past.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, confused said:

I wanted to comment that there are 2 types of schizoaffective disorder: bipolar type and depressive type so we don't all experience mania. I am the bipolar type and do.

I don't stay in hypomania for long periods of time. I have a prodromal period where I am irritable and a little paranoid before I switch into full blown psychotic mania.I don't have the fatigue and lack of motivation I have with "neutral" mood and my cognitive functioning seems faster (pattern recognition in overdrive). But, no I don't seem/feel more "normal".

I don't feel like anything is wrong with me at that stage.

I have been pretty stable for years now. I don't think I have been manic since 2006, but I have had some periods of depression or agitation. I seem more "normal" now and content and less anxious then I have in the past.

Confused, can you tell me what your hypomania is like

Hi, hypomania for me is usually agitated. It isn't euphoric. My mind spins but it isn't pleasant. It isn't a good state. I can't concentrate because of my own thoughts.

But, I know what you are asking. I have had times where I feel like I am on a mission and I can influence people who would normally ignore me. 

Are you asking because you are troubled with negative symptoms? I have issues with fatigue, lack of motivation, some cognitive (my memory is bad). If you have a pdoc you can talk to them about those.

I take a supplement (my pdoc okayed it) that is supposed to help with negative/cognitive symptoms. I am not sure if it does anything or I am just making expensive pee, but I figured it was worth a try. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there,

I tend to get depressed more than manic, but they do both present themselves in my diagnosis, I am pretty fresh at learning the  skills to identify my emotional state and behavioral state, I still do not know when I am officially manic until it is already in full bore and I am off doing who knows what. The crash to depression is usually a very hard transition for me, (as i believe it is for most everyone) I have been told by those around me, while I am manic I tend to talk to people who are not in the room, hear my name called from afar, and on occasion I will have illusions of grandeur or some kind of delusion that allows me to carry out the bad decisioning and other symptomology.

I would not say that "recovery" is the word, because there are times when I feel like the old self, the one that was normal and full of life, that changed when I hit about 14 or 15 years old. The road to recovery moves forward, in my opinion. The diagnosis is here and real, and now we have to cope and gain the proper skills to maintain the mood disorder and identify emotions and behaviors and determine if they are healthy or not. So when I am manic I tend to feel "high" like I have taken a stimulant of some sort, so that does not feel "normal" to me. It feels nice and is a wonderful respite from the horrible hopelessness and depression. I feel the most like myself when I am balanced with skills, coping, and medication so as to not fall under the scope of wellness or rise above the proper normal excitement and content happiness. 

Long-winded explanation, I apologize for that. Hope it helps though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dancingphantom said:

Hey there,

I tend to get depressed more than manic, but they do both present themselves in my diagnosis, I am pretty fresh at learning the  skills to identify my emotional state and behavioral state, I still do not know when I am officially manic until it is already in full bore and I am off doing who knows what. The crash to depression is usually a very hard transition for me, (as i believe it is for most everyone) I have been told by those around me, while I am manic I tend to talk to people who are not in the room, hear my name called from afar, and on occasion I will have illusions of grandeur or some kind of delusion that allows me to carry out the bad decisioning and other symptomology.

I would not say that "recovery" is the word, because there are times when I feel like the old self, the one that was normal and full of life, that changed when I hit about 14 or 15 years old. The road to recovery moves forward, in my opinion. The diagnosis is here and real, and now we have to cope and gain the proper skills to maintain the mood disorder and identify emotions and behaviors and determine if they are healthy or not. So when I am manic I tend to feel "high" like I have taken a stimulant of some sort, so that does not feel "normal" to me. It feels nice and is a wonderful respite from the horrible hopelessness and depression. I feel the most like myself when I am balanced with skills, coping, and medication so as to not fall under the scope of wellness or rise above the proper normal excitement and content happiness. 

Long-winded explanation, I apologize for that. Hope it helps though.

"and on occasion I will have illusions of grandeur".

What is this part like for you dancingphantom?

Edited by crazytom1993

1 hour ago, crazytom1993 said:

"and on occasion I will have illusions of grandeur".

What is this part like for you dancingphantom?

I feel and believe that I can fly. I believe that God created me as an entirely different creature and that I am set aside for some unknown quest or profound reason, like I will someday be able to sway the masses and end all war on Earth. I have noticed when the manic episode is over, I find myself in a self-talk battle trying to convince my mind that these things are real and that they are what I am. Which triggers some disappointment and ultimately depression because my negative self-talk gets reinforced by the facts of the matter versus my delusions. When you couple it with my paranoia that I also find myself fighting, I believe that people are going to abduct me and that they are all part of an organization that is secret and built only to acquire me, why do they want me? I could never tell. But it is only me that they are after. There are also times I realize that I am the only that thinks like me and everyone else thinks the same, they all do not know how to open up their secret thinking mechanism that would allow them to think as I do. 

These things become truth to me, I have stood with my back towards the decline of stairs with just my toes on the upper last step, I lean back and how it should work is I begin to slowly lift off the lip of that upper last step and then my bodies ability to fly catches my fall, I then hover over the the stair case and be able to take off from there, even though I am not in an episode of mania right now. I can still feel it in my guts and diaphragm, the sensations that are required to be able to fly. I am very lucky so far, I have not tried to jump off a building or the house, and that only one friend has had to prevent me from falling down a flight of stairs because I was trying to fly, some of the other times I have tried have been off of coffee tables and playground equipment when I was younger, which did result in a broken wrist once. I have not fully discovered the secret to flying, I do not know if it something that I should continue to pursue while I am in a balanced, healthy state. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2016 at 0:09 PM, confused said:

I just wanted to add that my pdoc has in my medical records that I have SZA, schizophrenia-type.  I asked him about it and he said that I have more of a tendency towards SZ-type than to bipolar-type or depressive-type.  I've looked it up and can't find much info on it, but he stands by that.