CrazyBoards.org

How does it make you feel when people misused 'psychotic'?

I'm hearing a lot of this at the moment from people talking about the Orlando shooting, describing the shooter as psychotic. I was just wondering how to other people find this use of the word. I find it quite hurtful knowing that the majority of people who are experiencing psychosis are vulnerable people who are very afraid of other people, to hear it used as a word to describe amoral, twisted, pathetic excuses for human beings saddens me. It just feels like people with mental illnesses are once again being used by people when they talk about homophobia and it makes me cry. It just feels like there's just so much injustice in this world.

And I just want to say that I'd pray if I was a religious person for the victims of this heinous crime. It's terrible that a lot of us have to live double lives out of fear of what other people might think of us. I know that people with mental illnesses can often associate with that. I do truly hope that there's no one today finding how that their son or daughter is gay by having to bury them.

Usually I don't mind in general, but when (especially) the media start throwing around the word 'psychotic' to millions of people watching them on TV/read in newspapers/etc ... then all those million people watching are now saying the person is psychotic.  Do they even have the shooter in custody yet?  Has he had a psychiatric evaluation?   

These are the times when throwing around the word 'psychotic' really irks me.  I hate when people use the term 'psychotic' to blame someone for doing something.  It is like guilty until proven innocent.

I mean I hate that the shooting happened and all, but at least get the story accurate, before airing it on TV/newspapers/etc.

I haven't really heard the term "psychotic" as applied to the Orlando shootings though I don't have a TV (Just a radio and the internet). I've heard "hate" and "terror" used but not psychotic. And I think we all can agree as a nation and as the world that this shooter was not psychotic but was rational and meticulous in his desire to cause mass casualties. 

• Like 2

I have heard on TV that he was mentally ill, not psychotic.

In this article (see in bold):   http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/orlando-shooter-ex-wife-son-blame-mental-illness-not-isis

He was also bipolar, Mateen's ex-wife, Sitora Yusufiy, told reporters in Boulder, Colorado.

"He was mentally unstable and mentally ill," Yusufiy said. Although records show the couple didn't divorce for two years after the marriage, Yusiufiy said she was actually only with Mateen for four months because he was abusive. She said he would not let her speak to her family and that family members had to come and literally pull her out of his arms.

Authorities immediately began investigating whether Sunday's attack was an act of terrorism. A law enforcement official said the gunman made a 911 call from the nightclub professing allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The law enforcement official is familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Yusufiy said she was "devastated, shocked, started shaking and crying" when she heard about the shooting, but she attributed the violence to Mateen's mental illness, not any alliance with terrorist groups.

This is part of some of what I've read about.

I hadn't been watching this all on TV (only clips and what I've heard, otherwise I muted the TV).  But I think jt is right about the term 'psychotic' not being mentioned on TV.  I just googled psychotic and Orlando shooter, and nothing came up other than mental illness.

As a friend commented, we have a homophobic man who is able to shoot down 50 people because they are gay or gay friendly (most likely according to his dad) because he legally had the ability to buy a semi-automatic weapon despite being under surveillance by the FBI and you are going to make this a crusade against Islam (which he barely practiced) or mental illness (which he had but didn't seem to be the reason)?

i think there's a lot of truth to that. (The "you" in the quote refers to politicians, not CBers.)

• Like 1

I think he did it because he hated gays. I think the radical terrorist stuff was an afterthought because when he called the dispatcher he pledged allegiance to opposing terrorist groups. He just wanted to throw in everything including the kitchen sink.

2 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I think he did it because he hated gays. I think the radical terrorist stuff was an afterthought because when he called the dispatcher he pledged allegiance to opposing terrorist groups. He just wanted to throw in everything including the kitchen sink.

Agreed.  And what sucks is I'm seeing some rather conservative friends (I honestly don't know many, but do know a few) getting sucked into this massive Islamaphobic rant, which then leads to commenters escalating it, and so on and so forth and then the actual cause (homophobia) gets lost and we do nothing to address it.  I've gently made this point with the few people I trust enough to actually consider it, but it doesn't seem to change anyone's mind.  Or country is rather screwed right now.

a few friends and I are rather terrified by the significance of this massive shooting...during the one month of the year where being gay is actually celebrated (though not without backlash) and at the site of what is supposed to be a safety haven where you don't have to worry about dancing with someone you're actually attracted to or how you present yourself or whatever.  Having that now added to the list of places that aren't safe is terrifying.  And saddening.

I hate when people use "psychotic" incorrectly. It makes me feel like shit. If I'm having psychosis, I tell my roommate it's "anxiety with voices" because I'm afraid psychotic would scare her...

• Like 1

I don't like when terms are misused. There is already confusion about what they mean..

The one I don't like is psychopath because people do get it confused with psychosis, and it isn't a diagnosis.

• Like 1