CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

Zoloft dosage question and other zoloft questions

Im currently on 100 zoloft 10 prozac. Prior I was on 62mg zoloft 10 prozac  I was on prozac and it stopped working.. over the past few months I have been going up on zoloft and down on prozac. I have been on 100 zoloft and 10 prozac for 14 days .. prior 62.5 zoloft and 10 prozac.

The first week I was on 100 zoloft I had a sinus infection and took augmentin which gave me aweful anxiety.

Since I have been on zoloft for some time how long before i see the effects of the 100 zoloft? Is it true each time you make an adjustment with meds you essentially restarted your course? Meaning I need to wait 5 weeks to see what 100 zoloft does?

My first med I was on was luvox it worked for 15 years then prozac. It was my fault it stopped working because I titrated down to 20 mg from the original 60mg prozac. I tried going back to 60 and had extreme anxiety and panic attacks..I experienced 98% remission both times.

I'm scared that zoloft might not work and that's also caused by my ocd.

Edited by 300.3
Change

it took me quite awhile on a dose of 150-200 for me to feel the effects of zoloft. it helped me OCD tremendously so it was worth it. I'm not sure how long it took, but certainly more than 14 days. everyone's different, though.

I have been gradually going up on Zoloft. My last dosage prior to the 14 day mark was 62.5mg

I have been tappering off prozac and onto zoloft since April. But this last increase was substantial and that is where I'm at currently, 100 zoloft 10 prozac.

I have another question regarding interactions with augmentine. A few weeks ago I took augmentin for a sinus infection and due to the side effects I quit 2 days early. I was supposed to take it for 10 days and took it for 8.

My mind was going crazy on the 3rd day of augmentin.. I had a severe panic attack also. 

I feel like the augmentin nullified zoloft some how. I'll post this question in the forum also..

Edited by 300.3

If I recall correctly, you're going to need to be near the max dose (200 mg) for Zoloft to work for OCD. You might get results at 150 mg, but I doubt you can expect too much at 100 mg.

I am sure that augmentin didn't "nullify" your Zoloft. It doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

I used to be on luvox 125 milligrams and prozac 60 mg. The Dr didn't want to over shoot 

Ha ha. No, I meant if I recall correctly the effective dosages for OCD ....

• Like 1

In the past I never had to go to Max dosage to get the drug to be effective. That's why I thought it was a good idea to go slow also

Well, 60 mg of Prozac is pretty near the max. I'm not a doctor and I can't possibly know, but my gut tells me you are not going to see much effect at 100 mg. Maaaybe at 125 mg, but more likely at 150 mg or higher.

• Like 1

My doctor was also counting 10 Prozac that I'm on equivalent to 20 zoloft.

The Dr is also taking it slow because my current obessesion is my ears.. before I took zoloft I read it can cause tinnutus. I have been scared ever since. I don't have tinnutus but this ocd has me convinced I do because all I do is focus on hearing a noise when it's quite.

This is actually the longest I've been on a set dosage the whole time I've been on zoloft. Because in the beginning we went up and down a lot because my ocd is so bad and it's hard to determine what is obessesion and what's not.

Edited by 300.3
Fix

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking it slow. My doctor used to say, "Start low and go slow". Just realize that it's going to be a while until you feel relief from the meds though.

So I might be wasting time at 100mg? Or your saying it's only been 14 days at a given dosage And I'm Expecting To much? Or both are an issue?

Am I accomplishing anything by staying at this dosage for longer then a week? Is it a waste to wait 3-4 weeks?

What's crazy is prior to me taking augmentin I felt a little better at 62.5 zoloft and 10 prozac

I wish I could attach a excel sheet that I export from my mood ,med journal.

Edited by 300.3
Fix

I would say that both are issues. It might be that 100 mg works for you, but usually OCD requires higher doses. Also 14 days at 100 mg is not long enough to say anything about 100 mg. If it were me, I'd like to get to an effective dose as quickly as possible and sit there and wait until it worked, but I realize that, as you've said, you have reasons for having to go slow.

Again, I am not a doctor, and your doctor will decide what's best for you.

I thank you for your input and know your not a dr.. but your helping me a great deal. Thank you for the continued feedback.

The question I have is with prozac I just went right to 60mg how do i know it was more then needed?

Granted when I tried to lower it to 20mg I had a breakthrough after 6months but if I stayed at 40mg who knows ?

I'm trying to use past dosages as an indicator and that's probably not right.

I do know from crazymeds.com and other sites 20 prozac equals 50 zoloft so that's where I thought I'm on a little more then just 100 zoloft because of the 10mg prozac. 

How do we know if I over shot the dosage? And what can I expect of an overshoot?

I guess I'm worried about a lot and scared.

So to give you a run down. I was on prozac for over 5 years 60mg then went to 40 then 20 mg i started in early september. I had a breakthrough feb 11when I tried to titrate back to 60 mg in feb my eyes started hurting and it felt like pressure. I tried 60mg prozac my original dosage for 9 weeks..I gave it all I had.

Me and my ocd read that Prozac can cause gluacoma.. so I went to eye dr and he said it's common for eyes to change on ssri.. and he was right it was hard to read up close and my eyes were dry all the time.

Moving foward my eyes still are dry and now need a different prescription for my eyes.

It seems like I have become sensitive after all these years of ssri's which was never the case before .. luvox 125 mg I had 98-99 % remission .. after luvox stopped working after 15 years I went to prozax 60.. again 98-99 remission.

Edited by 300.3
Edit

You are only taking too much if you are over the recommended maximum or if the side effects are too much to handle. Otherwise you might be a little over what you need, but once you get to an effective dose, you can always back down very slowly until symptoms return and then go up to a dose where the symptoms disappear again.

I don't personally put much stock in those equivalencies. They are at best rough. Zoloft is a different med from Prozac and that means its receptor binding profile is going to be different.

• Like 1

Jt07 I wrote some more before you posted in the post above your new one

I see what your saying on dosage and med differences. 

Currently the main side effects are eye issues which I assume I have to live with now. Having a hard time getting to that point sexually which means nothing because my mental health is more important, I'm just mentioning.

I'm also having a hard time distinguishing between obsessiveness or a real issue with my ears. I had ears checked and ears are perfect. Tinnitus is subjective but I know the mind is strong and the noises I hear might very well be extremely exacerbated due to ocd.

I continually look for a noise in both ears. It kills me when it's to quite because my mind continues to search for a sound.  I use a noise maker wherever I am. This is currently my only obessesion . I'm my own worst enemy.

Edited by 300.3

12 minutes ago, 300.3 said:

Currently the main side effects are eye issues which I assume I have to live with now. Having a hard time getting to that point sexually which means nothing because my mental health is more important, I'm just mentioning.

Well, these are common SSRI side effects. Some of them might even go away after you are on the med for a while.

You don't have to worry about overshooting the effective dose because there really isn't a sweet spot to overshoot. You are either taking enough to control your symptoms or you are not.

Sorry jt07 I posted more in my post above yours.

Also this tapper started on April 17. The delay is all my fault because of my fear and being scared. 

The Dr always wanted to go to 150 but I'm the one stopping it because of my issues I mentioned. After every change the Dr and I are supposed to meet every 3 weeks I never last that long and end up calling him once a week and seeing him once a week.. 

This is actually the longest I have went being on a set dosage of zoloft and not seeing him once a week.

In the past this never happened I went right to 125mg luvox no complaints .. 60 mg prozac no complaints ..

Edited by 300.3
Edit

again, going to repeat myself and reiterate what jt said. zoloft for me only worked for OCD at the highest dose. i did taper up quickly, i think i started at 75, and a week later was on 100, then a couple weeks later 150, and then after awhile it was adjusted to the max 200mg. overall, the experience took at least a month. 

unfortunately, none of us can say whether it will work for you at all. you can keep monitoring possible side effects, but i wouldn't put too much stock into them (although i know thats hard with OCD, i know that intimately). 

i do have tinnitus from zoloft, i'll admit that. it's not severe or anything and it comes and goes with less frequency now that I've been on it so long. i also have had possible sexual dysfunction from zoloft. for me, these two side effects don't outweigh the benefits of living in anxiety hell, but its a very personal decision. i wish you luck, anyhow. OCD can be devastating and the med-go-round is exhausting.

150 is a big jump. Do I bother with 125mg first?

I just thought it was best to stay 100 considering I haven't been consistent.. I'll call the Dr today

As it is I'm scared of zoloft. Whether it's a rational or irrational fear I don't know.. the one thing I can say is my ears occasionally ring but it disappears.

I'm scared that it will stay one day. Thatso why I hesitate on going up on dosage.

I have spend 100s of dollars on vitamin supplements in an effort to be pro active and preventing tinnitus if there is such a thing.

Edited by 300.3

300.3, what is so scary about tinnitus? It isn't likely to be permanent and should go away when you stop Zoloft, whenever that might be.