CrazyBoards.org

i tried to get my birth control prescription a couple days earlier than i usually do (i somehow lost a couple pills, i'm sure i didn't double up because I'm very vigilant about filling my pill box properly), and they refused me, and i thought it was odd. i understand for controlled substances and meds you can easily O.D. on or abuse, but having two or three extra BC pills doesn't seem to be that outrageous.

i've read online there's a 2 day early refill policy for controlled substances, which seems fair, though i've never tested that personally. what are your experiences?

I use a small family-owned pharmacy, been going there 13 years, they know me well. Typically they won't refill until 7 days before it's due. I haven't actually had the situation of needing to refill before that, but if I am out of meds, like over a weekend and I hadn't gotten them filled, they will front me 2 or 3 days worth til I can get a new script. 

Personally, I don't think you get that type of service at big box pharmacies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Personally, I don't think you get that type of service at big box pharmacies.

i don't even think we have independent pharmacies where i live, and if so, there's certainly not one anywhere near me. my pharmacy offers a lot of great services, though, and i generally love it (phone notifications, online health record, online and text refills, delivery to my home, reminders about prescriptions, direct line to the pharmacist on call, online and mobile integrated tracking of diabetes, blood pressure, weight, etc.). my family doctor also can view and get updates on all that virtually, as well.

they would certainly not front medication, though, in QC pharmacists are allowed to dispense and extend certain medications (typically for minor health issues) without pre-approval from doctors.

Edited by cosima

Whoa, yeah, that's a lot of perks.

I do get a hug from one of the pharmacy assistants tho...

• Like 1

I use a small pharmacy too. They are pretty good about early refills. They even let me fill my Ritalin (controlled substance) quite a few days early so that I could consolidate all my meds on one day and not have to make multiple trips to the pharmacy. They know me by name, and they never make mistakes (which is unlike a big box store I used to use).

So to answer your question, probably 6 or 7 days. I say that because that's what many or most insurances allow.

47 minutes ago, sbdivemaster said:

Costco.  Dirt cheap prices.  Never had any problem getting a refill anytime I want.  2 months... 3 months... 4 months...  doesn't matter.  They just fill it, no questions asked.

do you mean 4 months worth of a prescription in advance? :o

the prices for drugs are regulated here, so they cost the same at each pharmacy.

I use a small pharmacy too. They are pretty good about early refills. They even let me fill my Ritalin (controlled substance) quite a few days early so that I could consolidate all my meds on one day and not have to make multiple trips to the pharmacy. They know me by name, and they never make mistakes (which is unlike a big box store I used to use)

@jt07 that's one thing that sucks about my pharmacy, the pharmacists and technicians are on rotation, so its not likely that many remember me even though i've been going there at least a couple times a month for years. 

One week ahead of time (From the day you picked up) and 2 days for things like Adderall and they are firm on those numbers.  On 90 days at a previous place I went to it was 14 days.  I don't know on the Adderall.  And my pharmacy is pretty great.  If your doctor needs to write a new script and your out?  They will front you a couple pills and they send a rush fax to the doctors office which seems to work.

I can also get a 3-month supply at once and that will refill about 2 weeks earlier.  Forgot about that.

they send a rush fax to the doctors office which seems to work.

Whenever prescriptions are needing refills on them, the pharmacy will automatically send something to the DRs office also, and works for me too. 

Edited by melissaw72
forgot something
  • Like 1

Also go to a small pharmacy which happens to be across the street from the big box one.  I love this pharmacy. They are so nice and informed.

Usually I can renew 5 days ahead of time, for everything. Fiorinal as well, which is I believe considered a controlled substance. 
I try to do this as often as possible to build a emergency supply for when my meds go on hiatus (Aplenzin) and if I get stuck somewhere.

Most of the seniors go to the little pharmacy. The big box pharm and the little guy pharm do work together at times. I've seen both send out to the other for missing meds.

Best of all, the pharmacists and the lady at the counter ALL know me and hubs. They will deliver meds when needed and they always give us some if we need and the scrips are on the way.

Only bit of not so great comment on the little pharm is everyone there knows what I am taking because the ladies at the counter have BIG VOICES. It doesn;t really matter but I get embarrassed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      I've tried quite a few meds, including but not limited to many beta-blockers (atenolol, propranolol, metoprolol, acebutolol, nadolol, currently on pindolol), anticonvulsants (topiramate, levetiracetam, gabapentin, and primidone), and benzos (pretty much all of them!), and haven't had good results.
      Beta-blockers, even pindolol with its intrinsic sympathomimetic activity, causes bradycardia. Topiramate (Topamax) makes me STUPID AF. Levetiracetam (Keppra) makes me suicidal. Primidone (Mysoline), while it works really well, the cognitive issues are EONS worse than that of topiramate. Gabapentin (Neurontin) does nothing for me much except put weight on me, but then again, I didn't pay attention to my tremor at the time, so it could be worth another try. Benzos don't do anything, which I wasn't taking the benzo primarily for the tremor anyway... I've read up on other treatments of essential tremor, and I'm not too keen on using clozapine (Clozaril), mirtazapine (Remeron), or alcohol...
      Does anyone know of any other treatments that would work? Or if I should retry gabapentin? I literally spilled my drink all over myself tonight when I went out to eat with my boyfriend. I'm sick of dealing with this.
    • By Mistylumos
      First time poster here. I have bipolar 1, diagnosed last year after some horrible psychotic/manic episodes. I was put on lexapro which made me go insane and then put on zyprexa 10 mg which I abruptly stopped (I didnt get that you cant do that) which then again made me go crazy. Right now I am on Rexulti 1.5 mg and Seroquel 37.5 mg (I am tapering the Seroquel slowly to come off of it). I know these are low doses but I tend to be very sensitive to meds. The highest does of seroquel I was on was 300. I am not having any weird psychotic symptoms or manic feelings but am struggling with some depression. I am really unhappy with the weight gain from the antipsychotics. I have gained 10 lbs and from what I read all the APS will put weight on you. I also do not like how tired I feel. When I first started taking them I think the Rexulti was more activating, I actually felt jittery and seemed to be getting more stuff done, but now I just feel lazy and unmotivated. I was curious about trying Lamictal, and I was wondering if it would be possible to take that instead of the Rexulti. The only thing I worry about is I hear it impacts your cognition and I am starting school soon. Has anyone managed Bipolar 1 without a AP? Is it possible to just be on lamictal? I won't try antidepressents again after what happend with the lexapro. 
    • By Blahblah
      Maybe a random place to post, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had kidney disease/failure or other kidney problems suddenly arise, due to taking a lot of psych meds? I hear of ppl having liver problems, but not often kidney...
      My GP is concerned about my elevated creatine levels (and other related symptoms) and says she sees this frequently when people take psych meds for many years... She is ruling out other causes, as this doesn't run in my family at all.
    • By Distorted Me
      I know that a lot of bipolar folks take an SSRI as part of their daily regimen of meds and apparently it seems to help.  But there's some growing concern in the pdoc world now that SSRI's may be causing manic symptoms and even directly causing manic episodes.  I was on SSRI's for 10 years before quitting last October.  In chronological order:  Celexa, Zoloft, Celexa again, Lexapro, Zoloft again, Prozac, Zoloft again briefly, back to Prozac to close it out. 
      For me, personally, after stopping them altogether, I was able to see what they were doing to my system.  I truly believe they made me much more unstable and greatly increased compulsiveness and just made a bad situation worse.  Switching from Lexapro to Zoloft sent me immediately full-on hypomanic for over a month in early 2015.  I was high as a kite and on top of the fucking world.  It was unreal and so obvious at the time. From the beginning of it, I was certain something unusual was going on. Now I wasn't diagnosed bipolar yet, just depressed, so I didn't even know what hypomania was then.  It fizzled out eventually (sigh) but I had at least two more, shorter, and less intense episodes late spring 2015.  I've not had anything quite as euphoric as those since.
      My last pdoc expressed some concern about the prozac but wasn't very insistent on me stopping it, just that I would want to eventually.  I've since read that there is increasing concern in the pdoc community.  Yet a lot of bipolar people still take SSRI's and don't seem to have problems. 
      Do SSRI's seem to help your causes?  Do you notice any unusual side effects?  Have any of you stopped taking SSRI's and noticed a change?  Other comments?   This could be interesting.
    • By Candy6544
      So I just started Latuda and I am an avid user of alcohol and marijuana (its legal in my state)
      I currently take geodon, lamictal, and lithium but I just added latuda
      everything seemed like it was actually working great with Latuda but after I used "weed" and alcohol my brain is in bad shape and slowly getting better 
      It really left my mind foggy and inattentative in the morning because of  combining the marijuana and alcohol with it.
      at first it was going great but mixing those things with it really left my mind not all there  
      moral of the story if you take other bipolar/schizophrenia meds alongside Latuda DO NOT do any marijuana as well it'll ruin your brain over time trust me. Other antipsychotics can cause this effect too
      i hope this helps those who are struggling with substance abuse alongside any of these meds because they can help you greatly but marijuana will fry with your brain with them overtime mixing them