CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
rowan77

Treatment of bipolar depression

This question has been bugging me for quite a while but I'm not sure if anybody knows the answer.

One of the treatments of bipolar depression is OFC (olanzapine-fluoxetine combination).

I'm wondering why fluoxetine is often not recommended in the treatment of bipolar depression, even when used with a mood stabilizer and it is OK to used as part of OFC?

And why can other antipsychotics not be used in combination with fluoxetine? What is so important or special about olanzapine that it is the only antipsychotic indicated, alongside fluoxetine, for the treatment of bipolar depression.

Why can't ability, risperdal, geodon, seroquel etc be used. For example AFC ( aripiprazole-fluoxetine combination ).

I take seroquel and fluoxetine and this sorted my depression

Any thoughts??

Idk the answers to your questions, but the first thought that came to mind after I read your post was that when a person is treated for (bipolar), there is no set combination/standard for each MI that everyone uses.  Some people react differently to meds and in different combinations, so ie, someone could have a different set of meds that work for them (for treatment of Bipolar), when they wouldn't work for someone else. 

Does that make sense?

49 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Idk the answers to your questions, but the first thought that came to mind after I read your post was that when a person is treated for (bipolar), there is no set combination/standard for each MI that everyone uses.  Some people react differently to meds and in different combinations, so ie, someone could have a different set of meds that work for them (for treatment of Bipolar), when they wouldn't work for someone else. 

Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense that different combinations suit different people.

I just wonder why the olanzapine-fluoxetine combination is approved for bipolar depression and other antipsychotics aren't

And that fluoxetine is not indicated for bipolar depression, except with olanzapine and not with other antipsychotics.

Sorry. I'm repeating myself. It just intrigues me... The mind boggles!!!

One word, well actually two. Money and Politics.

I won't get into the FDA approval process but Lilly is a powerful company.

(Yes, Lilly makes them both)

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Totally agree with the above. I think it just happened to be an idea that was pursued by the drug company and eventually got FDA approval and was patented. I think you're totally right to be curious. I've taken a SFC combo (Seroquel XR-fluoxetine) and it worked really well. The OFC combo was effective but in my experience, Seroquel worked a little better.

I currently take escitalopram (I want to switch to fluoxetine) with Depakote and Lamictal, and I feel like that really evens me out, but I've had a much more robust response to fluoxetine in the past. I think fluoxetine is a unique SSRI because it has other therapeutic mechanisms as well, which maybe accounts for its better efficacy in bipolar depression?

Thanks so much for replying!

I never even thought that this would be related to money and politics.

I know that there is a drug called Symbyax which is a combination of olanzapine and fluoxetine. It is not available in Ireland where I live. I had forgotten that olanzapine, fluoxetine and symbyax are all made by lilly which is a rich and powerful drug company. So I guess money talks!!

I just thought that olanzapine had some unique formula that when taken with fluoxetine  was effective in treating bipolar depression. 

Although I think the reasons above are most likely--there might be something specific about Zyprexa (olanzapine right?) that helps people feel safer about adding an antidepressant.  I know people's experiences vary, but for the majority of the people I've heard, Zyprexa is one of the hardest hitting, particularly on mania and hypomania, to the point that a fair number take it just occasionally in order to knock symptoms out early.  And to the degree that people will get relief on it even when getting nothing on Amy other ASP.  So, if that's the case, it might be the best suited/safest bet to prevent an antidepressant from kicking someone too high. 

that very well could be coincidence or it could be that the group I know about are not within the realm of typical AAP experiences, but because I have seen it fairly frequently, I wonder if it's at all a contributing factor. 

However I'd be more inclined to believe this rationale if the two drugs weren't by the same manufacturer, to be honest.

1 hour ago, rowan77 said:

Yes it does make sense that different combinations suit different people.

I just wonder why the olanzapine-fluoxetine combination is approved for bipolar depression and other antipsychotics aren't

And that fluoxetine is not indicated for bipolar depression, except with olanzapine and not with other antipsychotics.

Sorry. I'm repeating myself. It just intrigues me... The mind boggles!!!

Before now I had never heard of fluoxetine not being indicated for bipolar depression.  I had it along with other meds including other anti-psychotics.  I don't remember what other meds I was on at the same time, but I know I was on the APs too, just not zyprexa specifically.  I have been on both meds at different times, ie I have been on zyprexa also; just not as a combo specifically for bipolar ... but the Prozac saved me from depression.  IME, prozac kept the constant tears away as well as depression.

However, I have read here on CB the prozac can be activating, but I have never experienced that (started it in 1991).

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about about the questions you've asked.

No, you aren't repeating yourself  :)    The mind is a mysterious thing!

I totally agree with the Lilly Is All-Powerful theory mentioned above.

Re: Prozac being contraindicated for BP depression because of how activating it can be in some people - the last time I took Prozac, I landed in the hospital for the first time in 13 years. I was psychotic and convinced I could walk out into the street and the cars/buses/etc. would just go right through my body like I was invisible. I was very, very tempted to run out into traffic to test this theory. This despite being on a hefty dose of Seroquel.

YMMV, of course, but this is what we're being warned about.

Edited by bookgirl

And the thing is I am on 40mg prozac!! However I am also on Seroquel, lithium and lamictal. It really pulled me out of my severe depression. Well obviously the other medications did their stuff too. 

I think one of the reasons why they chose olanzapine in particular to combine with fluoxetine is that olanzapine's 5-HT2C antagonism is pretty potent in comparison to its D2 antagonsim, and could thus be dosed in such a way to invoke 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C antagonism without seriously employing the antagonism of D2 receptors unless needed to, so as to combine the fluoxetine's 5-HT2C antagonism and maximize the synergy for norepinephrine and dopamine release enhancement.

Then again, Seroquel, by means of its metabolite, norquetiapine, has some pretty potent 5-HT2C antagonism in comparison to its D2 comparison itself.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By Simba Cub
      Hi guys!
      So, I've been complaining for a while now of Myoclonic Seizures which my doc tells me is most likely caused thanks to my antipsychotic regime, spanning Clozapine to Trifluoperazine. I get them worse at night, an hour or two after dosing. Why is that?
      Is it because I've just taken my meds?
      Or is it because it's at this point that my meds are on their lowest ebb, not having seeped back into my bloodstream yet?
      Help!
    • By PurplePaisley
      I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.
      Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.
      In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.
      New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 
      I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.
      I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 
      I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.
      Purple

• By SheltieUnderdog
      Just an update based on my posts earlier during this year. I ultimately wound up remaining on the oral antipsychotic (Latuda 20mg) which I started taking  after completing my 2nd probation term in this decade in January 2018 stemming from a January 2015 motor vehicle offense which ultimately slammed me with a 3rd degree felony (after already acquiring a misdemeanor for resisting arrest on foot in June 2012) related to having schizoaffective disorder and experiencing manic episodes and hallucinations. I was previously diagnosed with Bipolar 1 With Psychotic Features after the 1st incident I was involved in back in June 2012.

My main issue the entire time I was serving both probation terms was that I was always court ordered by a judge to continue taking the antipsychotics by injection and to continue my psychological treatment. My primary concerns with the antipsychotic medication was always having intolerable akathisia (inability to sit still), tremendous amounts of weight gain (My height is 5'8 with a small to medium frame and my weight maxed out in January 2018 at almost 310lb after being around 155lb until after June 2012, severe gynecomastia (recently won Risperdal / Invega class-action lawsuit), anxiety, depression, and disorganized speech (currently seeing a speech pathologist to suppress language disorder).

Following the completion of my 2nd probation term, I was initially placed on Latuda 40mg taken with food at night and then tested out Fanapt 6mg. I was still experiencing most of the side-effects and was still outright desperate to eliminate all of the symptoms I just mentioned. By the beginning of March 2018, I did ultimately try consulting with my psychiatrist about switching to a mood-stabilizer as monotherapy acting in place of an antipsychotic and accepted the risk that if I actually suffer from schizoaffective disorder and it wasn't Bipolar 1 With Psychotic Features that I would probably relapse and hallucinate again and I was even in agreement to keep a bottle of antipsychotics as a PRN and to just eat them like crazy if anything happened.

I discussed everything with him (I never considered him to be a control freak) and he said that he would eventually be willing to try my suggestion but asked me if I had any other idea in mind that involved remaining on an antipsychotic for slightly longer. I suggested to him that I'd be willing to try taking the Latuda at 20mg instead of 40mg before switching to a completely different class of drugs.

In retrospect, I'm not even completely certain if any of the oral antipsychotics including the higher dosage of Latuda or Fanapt were even that badly tolerated.. Now, I'm not condemning an entire class of drugs because I now support some of the low-dose oral antipsychotics for myself but I ultimately think that my former overall disgust and intolerance for the antipsychotics was because I was only ever taking them when I was either locked up in county jail and the overall quality of the drugs was really bad and primarily because the only time I was ever actually taking them was when I was taking court-ordered injections. That basically explains why my experience with the mental health system always sucked up to that point.

I'm not trying to speak to highly of myself here but my psychiatrist has always said that he considers me to be one of his higher functioning patients, therefore the reason why he thinks I was always so vocal about all the underlying side effects from the injections and was more sensitive to them than the majority of his patients, even at 260, 280 or 310 pounds, my weight was never really a factor for me in terms of reacting to the meds with less sensitivity.
      It simply didn't matter what injection he would put me on. I was on so many of them including Invega, Aristada, and Invega and they always caused more damage than they did anything positive for me. I always felt like the compromises I had to make to not hallucinate and remain out of legal trouble were simply too much to take. The slow-release form of the injections was always too intense for me but I was honestly being completely forthright when I admitted that I didn't want another episode involving the boys in blue to occur ever again.

At the time of my last post, my dosage was already reduced to 20mg and I was still complaining on a regular basis about everything I was still feeling but it wasn't until the end of March when the restless / walking on hot sand feeling finally began to subside. My overall appetite decreased enough to where I lost over 50 pounds by the beginning of the summer (since then the weight loss has stopped at around 260lb unfortunately but I have remained generally stable in terms of my weight). I won a class-action lawsuit against Risperdal / Invega in February and my weight became low enough where my plastic surgeon agreed to perform male-breast reduction surgery on me after denying me previously because I became so overweight / obese after I was released from county jail and the results were very successful without needing revision surgery thus far.

My speech disorder did improve a little but unfortunately wasn't completely going away by the end of the summer. I still felt like I had something like aphasia where I couldn't think of common words or name common objects and the words wouldn't return to my mind until 10 or 20 minutes after the conversation took place. The speech pathologist I eventually saw for this referred me to the audiology department at my local hospital for Central Auditory Processing Testing and it was revealed that I do in fact have a language decoding disorder (my intuition was right all along) which is certainly aggravated by having schizoaffective disorder and maybe even still by the medication.

I only become somewhat anxiety-ridden and become depressed right after I take the medication with some food, therefore I normally take it right before I go to sleep. By the time I wake up, I am no longer experiencing the anxiety and paranoia but I never become psychotic.
      Still, the most important thing is that I'm no longer experiencing any of that indescribable akathisia and thank god the weight gain reversed before I hit 350 and I no longer have to walk around with female-like breasts anymore.
      This is easily the most balanced I've felt since I developed the mental illness in the beginning of this decade. I'm not a morbidly obese zombie with female-like breasts pacing all day and night with akathisia but I'm also not hallucinating and running away from the local police department during a welfare check or speeding from the state troopers on major highways either. The delusions are still there at certain times except mild enough where I just laugh them off most of the time and don't believe the majority my own deception.
    • By Mistylumos
      First time poster here. I have bipolar 1, diagnosed last year after some horrible psychotic/manic episodes. I was put on lexapro which made me go insane and then put on zyprexa 10 mg which I abruptly stopped (I didnt get that you cant do that) which then again made me go crazy. Right now I am on Rexulti 1.5 mg and Seroquel 37.5 mg (I am tapering the Seroquel slowly to come off of it). I know these are low doses but I tend to be very sensitive to meds. The highest does of seroquel I was on was 300. I am not having any weird psychotic symptoms or manic feelings but am struggling with some depression. I am really unhappy with the weight gain from the antipsychotics. I have gained 10 lbs and from what I read all the APS will put weight on you. I also do not like how tired I feel. When I first started taking them I think the Rexulti was more activating, I actually felt jittery and seemed to be getting more stuff done, but now I just feel lazy and unmotivated. I was curious about trying Lamictal, and I was wondering if it would be possible to take that instead of the Rexulti. The only thing I worry about is I hear it impacts your cognition and I am starting school soon. Has anyone managed Bipolar 1 without a AP? Is it possible to just be on lamictal? I won't try antidepressents again after what happend with the lexapro.