CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar: Psychotic Symptoms with No Mood?

I have BP1.

I have been manic with mixed features.

I (more often) get psychotic depression.

Has anyone ever had psychotic symptoms when in-between? Neither high or low?

I appear to be experiencing this at the moment. I am hearing music and voices and screaming, plus seeing people, scenes, animals, shadows.

I don't feel manic or depressed. I have had a low in motivation lately and I've been sleeping a lot but I don't feel depressed at all, just lazy.

Things are getting worse. I have an appointment with my pdoc on Thurs. Hopefully it will hold out till then.

I was just interested as to whether anyone else had experienced something like this.

I appear to be experiencing this at the moment. I am hearing music and voices and screaming, plus seeing people, scenes, animals, shadows.

When I was on the wrong cocktail, I was very psychotic and had everything that you mentioned also.  However it all happened whether I was high or low.  It was a 24/7 type thing. 

Arguably, yes. (Since I was inpatient at the time, 5 different doctors offered their opinions, and I'm not really sure what actually happened.)

I was having delusions that were forcing me to hurt myself. I believed - even though I could tell it sounded "crazy" - that there was some entity, an executioner, which was overseeing my destruction and forcing me to hurt myself. I believed that if I didn't obey, he would make me kill myself or punish me in some other fashion. 

But I didn't want to die. At the time I was probably mildly depressed, but I wasn't displaying any of my hallmark severe depression symptoms (sleeping 20 hours a day, severe cognitive slowing, wanting to die). 

I don't get hallucinations when I'm depressed, so I can't relate to your experience in that sense. But I can relate to having significant psychotic symptoms without significant mood symptoms.

I'd be happy to talk more about this via PM if you like!

On 18/06/2016 at 5:04 AM, aura said:

Arguably, yes. (Since I was inpatient at the time, 5 different doctors offered their opinions, and I'm not really sure what actually happened.)

I was having delusions that were forcing me to hurt myself. I believed - even though I could tell it sounded "crazy" - that there was some entity, an executioner, which was overseeing my destruction and forcing me to hurt myself. I believed that if I didn't obey, he would make me kill myself or punish me in some other fashion. 

But I didn't want to die. At the time I was probably mildly depressed, but I wasn't displaying any of my hallmark severe depression symptoms (sleeping 20 hours a day, severe cognitive slowing, wanting to die). 

I don't get hallucinations when I'm depressed, so I can't relate to your experience in that sense. But I can relate to having significant psychotic symptoms without significant mood symptoms.

I'd be happy to talk more about this via PM if you like!

I too have the belief that I'm being forced to hurt myself when I'm psychotic but for me it's because someone is putting that thought into my head and forcing me to do it. Only ever happens when I'm unwell. Have no other thoughts about hurting myself at any other time.