CrazyBoards.org

Finally stopped .50 xanax for sleep

So I didn't exactly quit taking xanax but I do only take .25 now as needed during the day.

I was given xanax for my teeth grinding at night which helped a lot. I took it for 4 years . I recently went to a dr who specializes in all tmj and teeth clenching and grinding issues. He made me 2 applicances to wear. One to wear for 8 weeks during the day and after 8 weeks when im stressed or go to the gym. Also night one to use indefinitely. 

He mentioned to start taking magnesium 500mg and then read more and more about it. I took the cheap stuff which really isn't bio available for the body which is magnisum oxide.

Then I got to more reading.. since I'm on an ssri I don't mess with the traditional alternative meds which could help sleep but they can interfere with my ssri . I found a product called nature calm and it works for me. It's magniusm in powder form and you mix it with whatever you want. Even if it's the placebo effect I don't care because I no longer need xanax to sleep and now only take .25 when needed for anxiety during the day.

Just thought I would share.. 

Edited by 300.3
Edit
  • Like 2

I bought a sample pack at a local heath food store. I ordered a bottle of the plain flavored one.

They say the magniusm citrate causes loose stools but I haven't had that happen.

You can get the pill form of magniusm just make sure you read up on the different forms of it. The magniusm they sell at cvs or rite aid is the cheap kind that I bought before I did all the research. The body doesn't not absorb this form very well.

Even if it helps you a little it's better then nothing in my opinion.  

It's helped me. I might try splitting up the  dosage and use half at night and half in the morning when I usually have bad anxiety.

There are much better herbal supplements that will help with sleep and anxiety but I'm on zoloft and a lot of them use the same pathways as ssri's. Or may cause side effects . l did read up on Kava, passion flower.  Valerian which does use the same pathways as ssri's for example.

Edited by 300.3

Before starting any vitamin or supplement you should clear it with your doctor first.

Having said that, magnesium and I don't get along. I bought a bottle once and it threw me into a depressive episode. I thought it was a fluke and tried it at some later point with the same results. YMMV

That Nature's Calm stuff is great. for sleep at night. Except, because I was dissolving it into a glass of water, I did have to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, but that is because I basically just drank a big glass of water before going to bed, but other than that, it is a relaxing product.

just ditto-ing jt's comment to make sure to run it by someone first and also to pay attention to any changes it causes.  Melatonin is an incredibly common sleep supplement that a lot of people take (including kids) and that my psychiatrist suggested I try once b/c we were essentially at the "nothing's really helping, let's see if this does" phase.  I started it and within a short period became very depressed.  Stopped it and the depression went away.  Thought that might be a fluke.  Posted on crazyboards about it for curiosity's sake.  Without remembering this whole transaction, tried it on my own three years later and also got depressed.  Searched on CB about it and found my very own post.  It would have been a lot easier if I'd mentioned it to my pdoc, who likely had it in my chart that I didn't react well and would have reminded me of the problem. 

I was prescribed Magnesium by my Neurologist for migraine headaches, and facial muscle fasciculations I had since I withdrew from Clonazepam. It didn't work for me as a migraine preventive, but wow did it stop my facial fasciculations. Magnesium also helped with the brain fog and fatigue I developed since my withdrawal which was a pleasant, pleasant, surprise.

I wasn't blood tested, but I think there was a possibility I was magnesium deficient at the time which is why it helped me so much. Especially because after a few months it caused me to have sleep issues and made me very dysthymic.

Magnesium is one of those supplements that seems "harmless" because you can buy it off the shelf of your local drug store or order it online like a tee shirt. The truth is, Magnesium is a supplement that can hurt you if you take too much and can be dangerous if you have a deficiency of the nutrient.

My Neurologist talked to me about how Magnesium supplements is thought to change the blood vessels in your brain, and has started to be taken seriously in the Neuroscience community for Migraines and Epilepsy treatment. So absolutely, Magnesium can alter Neurological and Mental Illness symptoms. And with that, always talk to your doctor about any kind of supplementation

TO ADD: as far as I know Magnesium is not a "approved" treatment for migraines or epilepsy and still being studied. When I was first prescribed Magnesium (500mg) by my Neuro I thought I was being dismissed by her. However after research and after taking it, it was no joke.
Some resources I (quickly) skimmed through: Magnesium as an effective adjunct therapy for drug resistant seizures (May 2012) - Magnesium in Neurological diseases and Emotions (Dec 2009) - Magnesium for Migraines (Mar 2013). You can also search for "Magnesium and *migraines/epilepsy/mental illness/etc* and find more thorough information.

Edited by Sloane
spelling

Not my psych buy other Dr told me to start taking it for muscle pain. He told me to start taking d3 and 500mg magniusm . I'm not taking 500 anymore because natural calm is much less. He was upset when I told him I took xanax to sleep. I was using it for 4 years up until 2 weeks ago

I'll also speak to my psych about it this week also. At the moment I think the magnesium is the better of the trade off .

Edited by 300.3

Again not sure if it's the placebo effect but I have been alternating between 1/2 dosage of 350 to 175 every other day. I wake up 2 times a night with the 175mg while with 350 only once . So I take 350 tonight and 175mg tommorow. I alternate.