CrazyBoards.org

GI med (Hyoscyamine) reduces anxiety?

So possibly not one people have taken, but given that a fair number have IBS or other GI things, I figured it was worth a shot.

about three months ago, I had a few experiences where I all of a sudden urgently had to go to the bathroom--as in if I was driving somewhere I would pull over the next place I saw and if i was on our metro train i would hop off at the next station.  I mentioned it to my GI and she said that there wasn't something great to immediately stop it necessarily, but that there was a medication that would reduce cramping and likely reduce the urgency if I felt it a bit earlier.  She wrote the prescription for Hyoscyamine, but then it fortunately didn't happen again and I didn't really pay attention to having it.

fast forward to today. I ate lunch at a restaurant and had to go to the bathroom immediately after eating and twice within the next hour (I have no clue why--I had a burger but it was close to burnt because it was so over cooked and I had fruit).  When I was at home, my stomach started getting really uncomfortable again, so I figured I'd try the medication I never needed.

so far, it strangely seems to be helping.  It's kind of like my GI system just took a chill pill.  But that's the weirder part I wasn't expecting because it also feels like the rest of me took a chill pill also.  I wasn't even aware of any anxiety I was feeling, but I'm feeling a noticeable reduction now.  Almost like that first time you swallow a benzo if you've always had anxiety and never taken one before so not had any clue what they do (assuming you don't react negatively).  I can't say it's necessarily as good as one--but I wasn't expecting it to have any anxiety reducing effects, so this feels beyond strange.  Maybe it's in my head or I'm misinterpreting though.

anyone taken Hyoscyamine before?  Have this sort of experience or not?  Or anyone understand drugs well enough to get if its even possible there's a correlation?

I have pretty severe IBS and severe anxiety. I can't say I've found hycosamine (over the counter here) to be helpful with my anxiety at all. I can't say it really does a whole lot for my stomach either. It takes the edge off, but also gives me a horrifically dry mouth.

17 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

So possibly not one people have taken, but given that a fair number have IBS or other GI things, I figured it was worth a shot.

about three months ago, I had a few experiences where I all of a sudden urgently had to go to the bathroom--as in if I was driving somewhere I would pull over the next place I saw and if i was on our metro train i would hop off at the next station.  I mentioned it to my GI and she said that there wasn't something great to immediately stop it necessarily, but that there was a medication that would reduce cramping and likely reduce the urgency if I felt it a bit earlier.  She wrote the prescription for Hyoscyamine, but then it fortunately didn't happen again and I didn't really pay attention to having it.

fast forward to today. I ate lunch at a restaurant and had to go to the bathroom immediately after eating and twice within the next hour (I have no clue why--I had a burger but it was close to burnt because it was so over cooked and I had fruit).  When I was at home, my stomach started getting really uncomfortable again, so I figured I'd try the medication I never needed.

so far, it strangely seems to be helping.  It's kind of like my GI system just took a chill pill.  But that's the weirder part I wasn't expecting because it also feels like the rest of me took a chill pill also.  I wasn't even aware of any anxiety I was feeling, but I'm feeling a noticeable reduction now.  Almost like that first time you swallow a benzo if you've always had anxiety and never taken one before so not had any clue what they do (assuming you don't react negatively).  I can't say it's necessarily as good as one--but I wasn't expecting it to have any anxiety reducing effects, so this feels beyond strange.  Maybe it's in my head or I'm misinterpreting though.

anyone taken Hyoscyamine before?  Have this sort of experience or not?  Or anyone understand drugs well enough to get if its even possible there's a correlation?

This is interesting ... thanks for posting. 

I haven't taken hyoscyamine before and can't answer your questions.

But however, FWIW, I wanted to say that I'm glad you found something that works, and with the added bonus of anxiety relief ... IBS (in general) is a terrible thing to deal with (please anyone correct me if I am wrong about IBS being a terrible thing) and finding something that works to help can be really hard.

I also didn't know any other meds for IBS existed, other than the one I have been on ... dicyclomine (bentyl), which works really well for me.  So I am glad I know of an alternative that I can ask for if the bentyl stops working for me.  So thanks again for posting!

Thanks all.  Rosie, that's a really interesting possibility and I do wonder if it's the case now that you mention it.  It's kind of like the fact that when I took it based on some pain that I had observed, it took away a lot more than what I was realizing I was feeling (i.e. it took me to a better state than what I consider as my normal). 

Now I feel a bit silly because my ex-girlfriend suggested I try taking it when I was initially prescribed it and I dismissed it and said that because it was prescribed for that particular issue, it wouldn't have any other impact.  Instead, I'm wondering if it's something I should be trying more regularly.  I'll talk to my GI about it.  It's interesting b/c although it's not the degree of relief that I'd get from a benzo, it has a similar sort of feeling. 

Sorry it doesn't work for you Jessamine.  Hopefully you have something else that does?  I'm also curious if the OTC version where you are is the same strength/composition as the prescription version here.  I'm only wondering b/c I've found it sometimes makes a difference with other meds (I could take allegra when it was prescription but for some reason it stopped working when it went OTC).

Melissa, glad to add one more to your list of options!  Hopefully the bentyl won't stop working, but my limited understanding is that they are the same general kind of medication (smooth muscle relaxant)

I actually don't currently have an ongoing IBS diagnosis...my GI's best understanding is possibly post-infectious IBS and I need to see if there's really any sort of difference or if it just means that I got it a different way.  I'll have to read up on it some more.  Part of the reason for not having the IBS diagnosis is not having a ton of abdominal pain on an ongoing basis (once I was out of the acute whatever I had), but given the difference the medication made and the fact that it took away a lot more pain than I thought it was going to, maybe it's just that my pain threshold is too high/I've come to accept pain as normal.  Kind of like when I was in the ER--they gave me toradol in my IV b/c I was starting to head toward a migraine and all of a sudden my neck was able to move again and I could spin it and such things--it had been so stiff for so long that I completely forgot it was supposed to be able to do that b/c it was my new normal. 

2 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Sorry it doesn't work for you Jessamine.  Hopefully you have something else that does?  I'm also curious if the OTC version where you are is the same strength/composition as the prescription version here.  I'm only wondering b/c I've found it sometimes makes a difference with other meds (I could take allegra when it was prescription but for some reason it stopped working when it went OTC).

Thank you. Sadly no, not much has worked for me. This is what I can get here: http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=3559 It says 103mcg (assuming it's the same stuff, I think it is?) But yes, that does make sense. I take Nexium for reflux and it works wonderfully. We recently got generic in though and even though my chemist told me it's identical it just doesn't work nearly as well for me for some reason. It is possible it's a higher dose that they have you on (in which case I might have to ask my doctor when I find one if it's available in Australia).

I'm glad it's working for you! As @melissaw72 said, there's not a person in the world that won't say it's a terrible thing to have.

Edited by Jessamine

Melissa, glad to add one more to your list of options!  Hopefully the bentyl won't stop working, but my limited understanding is that they are the same general kind of medication (smooth muscle relaxant)

Thanks for letting me know that!  :)