CrazyBoards.org

Hating Zoloft right now

I just feel so very, very... awful. And withdrawn.

Did anyone else feel this way on it? Seems like it's making my anxiety even worse. I've been on it long enough for it to kick in, and other than making me feel somewhat numb, it doesn't really seem to be helping.

I wish I could help you with the Zoloft - I should as I had been on it about 11 years, but how I felt when I first began taking it - I can't remember.  But I can say I feel the same way now I've started Lexapro (which is very similar).  Very withdrawn - like I'm shutting down and out.  My anxiety is a bit up also and can't sleep worth a darn. 

Maybe the standard SSRI's are not for you as I'm starting to think they are not at all for me.

They do take time to kick in and you didn't state how long you've been on Zoloft.  I'm at about week 6 on Lexapro. 

Please take care.  Kris.

I just feel so very, very... awful. And withdrawn.

Did anyone else feel this way on it? Seems like it's making my anxiety even worse. I've been on it long enough for it to kick in, and other than making me feel somewhat numb, it doesn't really seem to be helping.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES, yes, yes...did I say yes??  Zoloft (even the tiny dose I was taking) left me agitated which is something I never get from my Effexor.  Additionally, it makes me sweat like no other.  I'd wake up and my bed sheets and pjs would literally be soaked.  Nasty.  Oh yeah and then there is the other great side effect which is blacking out/acting like an angry psycho when drinking.  I HATE ZOLOFT.  I quit it cold turkey.... ;)

YES, yes, yes...did I say yes??  Zoloft (even the tiny dose I was taking) left me agitated which is something I never get from my Effexor.  Additionally, it makes me sweat like no other.  I'd wake up and my bed sheets and pjs would literally be soaked.  Nasty.  Oh yeah and then there is the other great side effect which is blacking out/acting like an angry psycho when drinking.  I HATE ZOLOFT.  I quit it cold turkey....

OMG! We must be long lost twins. I've been getting the night sweats too.

And I'm with you on the drinking thing. Either I stay stone cold sober, or I completely lose it and get embarassingly drunk. It seems I can't really get a nice buzz anymore, it's all or nothing.

This is my first SSRI but it seemed okay at first. In retrospect, I think it was mostly just numbing me at first. Now I don't feel like I get those super-lows, but I still feel... crappy. It is sort of an agitated feeling, but it only happens sporadically.

I do want to try Lexapro but I don't think my insurance covers it (since it only covers generics). What about Celexa? I know the two are quite similar, at least in theory.

id think try less milligrams of zoloft, like 12.5mg or 25mg, before switching to a different SSRI, possibly even skipping a day's dose in between what dose of zoloft you take now and the lower dose.  personally i dont think theres much difference between lexapro and zoloft except that zoloft seems a lot stronger and its really not possible to equate milligrams of both except on an individual basis.    (im not a doctor so ask first, but this is usually what the doctors suggest if they are reasonably intelligent) less is better, anyways, i had been taking 12.5mg for like 3 weeks before i stopped at 25mg.

I started on 25 mg for a week and didn't experience much in the way of problems/side-effects. But, I know what you are saying about Lexapro vs Zoloft-- I almost wonder if I should try a non-SSRI. I wish this was more exact and not hit-or-miss, done the hard way!

I almost agree - I'm on Lex now and was on Zoloft for many years.  I can feel the ole suppression of moods coming back.  Maybe that's why my husband liked me better on an SSRI, cause I was more quiet and compliant ;) Cymbalta did give me more of a "mouth" which is something I never really had and I kinda get the inkling he didn't like it, said I was "moody" on it.  Hmm, you mean like actually standing up for myself? That being said, I might just jump back on the Cymbalta train instead. :) Oh well.  It is just a big crap shoot isent it.

i am going off of my zoloft because it made me more anxious and gave me disgusting night sweats that left me drenched, shivering and unrested.

that said, the first time i was on it, i loved it.

if you have anxiety problems (or are you "only" depressed?) then probably a med like wellbutrin wouldn't help either...

hmmm i'm not much help am i?

(other than saying i feel your pain)

i am going off of my zoloft because it made me more anxious and gave me disgusting night sweats that left me drenched, shivering and unrested.

I had the night sweats too, but they went away eventually. Depends I guess on if you want to ride it out.  I was anxious *before* I went on it, so can't say if it's made it worse.

I've been on it for about 2 months, so I think it should be helping by now. It seemed like it was helping at first, but I think it was just kind of numbing me to everything. And now, I honestly think it's making me feel worse.

I find that the Zoloft makes me tired, but still anxious. How's that for a combination? I have depression and GAD, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I used to have panic attacks, and it seems like they're actually coming back! So, I know I need to make a change, med-wise. I'm a little scared to try Paxil because its discontinuation is so nasty and it's known for severe weight gain.

angel i was on zoloft for about 6 months this go-round, and the night sweats didn't kick in until month 5 and they just got worse.

if you aren't feeling well you definitely need to make a change.

my experience is COMPLETELY anecdotal w/ prozac, as i've been on it, um, like, a week max.  BUT i am off the zoloft now and feel less anxious, it is also known to have the least withdrawal, maybe try that one ??

Archived