CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin and anxiety?

I have GAD and I used to take wellbutrin and was ok with it.  (I was on an effexor and wellbutrin cocktail.) 

However, I kinda get the feeling my experience with wellbutrin being ok with my anxiety was abnormal as my two close friends and husband (who all have anxiety problems of different flavors) couldn't stand wellbutrin.

I think this is totally a YYMV situation.  I think your only option is to try it and if it doesn't work, you can always stop...

I have MDD with a medium sized amount of anxiety thrown in when I am depressed (not as much when I am feeling healthy). Initially the WB made me more anxious than before (as does prozac when I first start taking it) but as the med starts to get at a good level in my brain the anxiety goes away. With anxiety being at a high 3 months ago, with daily mini panic attacks, I am now on the 150mg 2x a day and have had almost no symptoms of anxiety.  (almost being maybe 4 x over the last month that I have had symptoms of anxiety-and another note I have Klonopin to help me sleep due to a neurological disorder and I dose myself with that 1/2 of a .5mg tab for anxiety from time to time)

My main mental bug is the depression though with anxiety features...not Anxiety. I really wish you the best. I wouldn't want my worst enemy  to have to go through a day with the crushing anxiety. ICK.

Maybe you'd be better off with a mood stabilizer? Just a thought.

I was actually wondering this myself. I'm just terrified of the side-effects that seem to go along with mood stabilizers. NOT a good reason to avoid them, I know.

I guess the problem is that I'm not sure whether or not the depression is causing my anxiety, if it's the other way around, or if they simply coexist. I think I need a better doctor.

I guess the problem is that I'm not sure whether or not the depression is causing my anxiety, if it's the other way around, or if they simply coexist. I think I need a better doctor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to check out this site: Mood swings without "manic" episodes: Bipolar II -- more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic. Even if you don't think you are BPII, it might still have some useful information, especially about mood stabilizers.

I think the main thing is if the meds you're taking are working for you. I've been on a lot of ADs. Lemme see, since I was 18 and I'm now 51...lots. At least for me, I can tell you that the SEs for Lamictal have been little to none, a lot less than many ADs I'd tried. Yes, I did have some that were no fun the first few weeks of Lamictal, but they disappeared.

Now I'm feeling a whole lot better (eliminated my depression and pretty much all my anxiety), and I am actually able to sleep well for the 1st time in my life. And I have more energy than I can remember ever having; ADs never took away my fatigue. Now I only drink a couple cups of tea a day; before I was living on coffee just to get by.

I'd say be open to whatever med might be right for you. And remember, as far as SEs with mood stabilizers are concerned, you're going to read about them more here at CB. People who don't have SEs are less likely to post here. ;)

Thanks for the info. I have wondered if it's maybe BPII, but I almost seem less moody now on Zoloft-- I just feel crappy ALL the time, haha.

I can identify with living on coffee, for sure. I think I'm going to make an appointment next week and see where to go from here.

WB didn't increase my anxiety at all.  I took it with Prozac and Cymbalta.  But increasing the serotonin didn't help my anxiety that I had... The increasing of the C was done before I even added WB.  SO there was no difference.  Now I'm taking klonopin which has helped alot with my normal daily anxiety.  So I have dropped my dose of Cymbalta back down to 60mg.  I feel great.  Why take 90mg when I can take 60mg and feel the same.  Less work on my liver ;)

I started taking Wellbutrin a few weeks ago for anxiety/depression (predominately anxiety though). I was a little scared, knowing it could increase me anxiety, but it really didn't. I felt a little hyped up the first few days, and the insomnia has been bad (but I had that before taking the med, it's only made it a little worse I think). It sends some peoples' anxiety through the roof. It's good to have a benzo on hand to get through it. Worked for me! I'm upping it soon, so we'll see what happens. Good luck to you!

Jacki

Archived