CrazyBoards.org

Nothing keeps me asleep!

I've always been a extremely good sleeper naturally. Always falls asleep in five minutes, never wakes up during the night, never has problems getting up in the morning. Sleep has been the least of my problems, always.

Not now though, I haven't slept well for two weeks. I wake up about ten times each night and have trouble going back to sleep. I have these vivid, Tim Burton-style dreams that terrifies me.

Seeing as I just got out of the psych hospital, I've had the chance to try lots of sleeping medications. I've tried Imovane, Ambien, Largon... Most recently Mogodan, which does a better job than the others but not good enough. Instead of waking up ten times I now wake up five times. Still having creepy dreams.

I'm extremely scared of getting addicted to something, as I recently went through Xanax withdrawal from hell. But I realize that most really effective sleeping aids ARE addictive. I would also prefer something that doesn't make me a zombie the next morning.

My mom has great success with Remeron, but I can't take antidepressants because it makes my rapid cycling worse.

And yes, I've tried Melatonin. It makes me depressed like hell.

Edit: Oh yeah, a doctor at the hospital suggested Nozinan, but also said that might make me too tired in the mornings. Any experiences?

Sonata (zaleplon)? My sister took it for when she couldnt sleep and it really helped her, its very short acting and you wont get a hangover the next day. Its also less addictive than benzos but again is only intended for short term relief. I was once addicted to Mogadons and I know what a bitch it is to kick them so you have my sympathies on the Xanax withdrawal....

Uh what AP's have you tried.  Seroquel works for me but gives me a hangover.  It's the number 1 prescribed sleep med.  Currently trying Oxazepam, but that's an addictive benzo...

It seems to me that your sleep problems are temporary and emanate from something not entirely sleep related.  Why are you having bad dreams?  Has your condition worsened to the point where the reason for sleep problems are also the reason for hospitalisation?  perhaps you need to worry not about treating insomnia but the underlying condition, which appears to be BP.

APs really help my nightmares, but aren't exactly sleep meds.  Seroquel really helped my 'lets kill everybody' dreams but gave me the worst sleep hangovers ever.  Geodon still gives me a hang over but perhaps just a low dose of something could be helpful for you.

Helena: have you tried trazodone? Or is that out because of your BPI diagnosis? When I was in the hospital, a woman with BP there was taking zyprexa for sleep. I take 100 mg of trazodone and it works pretty well. If I do wake up, I take 4 mg of Lunesta and that gives me at least 3 hours more. It takes a lot to knock me out as well. I hope you get some rest.

Diane

Last night I slept very well without my Mogadon (however you spell that, I'm too lazy to look it up). So I agree with the person that said my sleep problems are not due to insomnia, rather to the messy emotional state I've been in for the last few weeks, that also got me hospitalized. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight too. Knock on wood. If not I'll think about your replies when I talk to my pdoc.

I don't think Trazodone is available here. I looked it up and it's an antidepressant, yes? I don't get along with those.

Ativan might be an option, I was on it daily for a while and I slept really well without a hangover.

I'm kind of scared of Seroquel, for some reason. I've tried Zyprexa and that made me a zombie. Sure, a zombie that could sleep but somehow it wasn't worth it...

Hi Helena,

Possible mixed episode? Something to explore...

Also look up Dark Therapy that helps reset your circadian rhythims (or however you spell that stuff). Maybe enforced, 100% darkness for a certain time period then enforced light, then darkness for awhile will help "reset" you. I've heard it is a promising treatment. Maybe melatonin? It is a supplement that is popular here. I don't know if you can get it in Sweden with or without a RX.

-----loon----------

Hey, Melatonin is not available here but we got some jars of it from friends in the US. It works very well, but unfortunately makes me very depressed if I take it more than one night.

Dark Therapy? Interesting...

Thank you.

My sleep patterns are back to normal! ;) Yaay. Might have been all the medication changes I've been through that screwed it up. Who knows?

I'm on a higher dose of Concerta now (72 mg) and that really does the trick. I sleep like a baby.

My sleep patterns are back to normal! ;) Yaay. Might have been all the medication changes I've been through that screwed it up. Who knows?

I'm on a higher dose of Concerta now (72 mg) and that really does the trick. I sleep like a baby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Helena!!

Great to here you are sleeping :) .  Awesome.  How are the new meds??

Ug Lunesta still sucks crap..Gets me to sleep quick but apparently makes me a nut shortly after according to BF...like every other medication I'm on.  I'd choose to take nothing if only because this bullshit I pull keeps fucking up our relationship, but I know that bipolar is a big deal so I want to try and get better and I'm really praying that lowering the AD and adding a mood stabilizer will make me sane again without having to resort to no meds and my psycho anxiety days.....

I've always been a extremely good sleeper naturally. Always falls asleep in five minutes, never wakes up during the night, never has problems getting up in the morning. Sleep has been the least of my problems, always.

Not now though, I haven't slept well for two weeks. I wake up about ten times each night and have trouble going back to sleep. I have these vivid, Tim Burton-style dreams that terrifies me.

Seeing as I just got out of the psych hospital, I've had the chance to try lots of sleeping medications. I've tried Imovane, Ambien, Largon... Most recently Mogodan, which does a better job than the others but not good enough. Instead of waking up ten times I now wake up five times. Still having creepy dreams.

I'm extremely scared of getting addicted to something, as I recently went through Xanax withdrawal from hell. But I realize that most really effective sleeping aids ARE addictive. I would also prefer something that doesn't make me a zombie the next morning.

My mom has great success with Remeron, but I can't take antidepressants because it makes my rapid cycling worse.

And yes, I've tried Melatonin. It makes me depressed like hell.

Edit: Oh yeah, a doctor at the hospital suggested Nozinan, but also said that might make me too tired in the mornings. Any experiences?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried seroquel or nozinan?  These usually work even for hardcore treatment resistant insomnia.  They're both antipsychotics and they are very sedative, especially nozinan.  Nozinan doesn't put you to sleep it actually knocks you out.  You may want to give that one a try if you're out of options. 

PBF

I'm back to having sleeping problems again. I feel fine during the days, then I get these horrible manias or mixed states late at night. Nitrazepam doesn't do the trick. Neither does Ambien. Well sometimes they do, sometimes not. Some pdoc at the hospital mentioned Nozinan. Might ask doc about that one. This country seems to be very fond of the typical APs.

Archived