CrazyBoards.org

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this it not.. If not, feel free to move it.

i do okay with showering (I don't shower everyday, but I try to at least every other day.) however I'm really bad at brushing my teeth. I can go months without brushing and not even think of it. I don't know why. Here lately I've been more focused on it. I realize I need to brush them. The problem right now is, I have a cavity on each one of my bottom canines (I think that's what they're called) right there on the front of them by my gums. I also have others too, on my back teeth. I don't have a dentist. Because of the health insurance I have, I can't go to the one I used to go to.. And don't know where to go.

i don't have a car, nor do I have anyone who would be willing to take me. So, im not sure what to do. If I try to brush them once or twice a day, will they still continue to decline? Anyone else have this problem? I don't quite understand what's wrong with me.

I go through periods of not brushing regularly, and if I said how long it's been since I've seen a dentist, I'd be mortified. I'm sure I have cavities, but what bothers me most is itchy gums sometimes. I wet my toothbrush, mash it into baking soda, then gently pour peroxide over it, and brush well at least once a day. I can't say that it'll keep your teeth from deteriorating, but it at least helps my gums.

Hope that helps.

I understand.

I often go long periods without brushing my teeth and don't know why. Its like I have an aversion to it or something. I take care of myself quite well otherwise. 

I know that I need to go to the dentist but am embarrassed about the state of my teeth.

I'm careless when it comes to hygiene most of the time (or sometimes..idk). I don't brush my teeth very often, it can go from days to months. Sometimes I forget to bathe. I stayed without bathing for a month or more. I heard that being careless when it comes to hygiene is a sign of schizophrenia.

I really struggle with brushing my teeth too. i am just so used to not doing it. i hate doing it. I know i have cavities. But I can't afford to fill them. So I just brush my teeth once in a while. i know its embarrassing but a lot of my friends don't brush their teeth either because of mental illness.

13 hours ago, Unknown Dude said:

I'm careless when it comes to hygiene most of the time (or sometimes..idk). I don't brush my teeth very often, it can go from days to months. Sometimes I forget to bathe. I stayed without bathing for a month or more. I heard that being careless when it comes to hygiene is a sign of schizophrenia.

Where did you hear that?

No, that can't be. I'm BP1, not SZ, and especially the past couple of years I've had terrible habits of not showering, for like a month at a time. I reached a point where I no longer cared, took tremendous effort for the occasional shower. I was depressed, granted, but even as my mood picked up I found I just didn't care.

Because you asked about ways to get to a dentist--first a disclaimer that the ideas below are based on being in the US and I can't see if you are because I'm on my phone.

1) are there any dental schools nearby you or within a commute that you can manage?  I've found many will do free exams (and frequently treatment) so long as you agree to have it done by their dental student under the supervision of a dentist.  That's actually been the case in three different areas where I lived, so I don't think it's impossible to find.

2) second, your county's department of health or department of social services (it varies) may have a service or may have referrals to people who do

3) although it seems random, your county's legal aid organization (civil not criminal) may be able to give you referrals.  I only mention this one because my organization does it all the time via our community helpline, even though most are outside the areas that we practice in.

4) your health insurance might have local case managers and those local case managers may know of resources (and sometimes actually have funds to access them)

sorry for the long answer if you're not in the US and it's completely irrelevant.  Those are listed in the order that I'd try them in, but that's just my personal preference.

as far as being comfortable with going to the dentist when you know your teeth are crap--I've been there and there's actually a post on CB where people responded to that specific concern in a way that really helped my anxiety.  It ended up working out for me and I hope it does for you also.

Random suggestion - sometimes the "just do it" approach to mental health issues doesn't work very well, so even if you know you need to, it might not change things.  I bought a mouthwash that's designed to both prevent cavities and promote gum health.  I try to use it every day even if for whatever reason I can't bring myself to brush my teeth.  (I realize it's strange I can force myself to do one and not the other.)

Well my experience with that is not so good.  I blew it off and had a very embarrassing call to the bosses office.   To say he was uncomfortable is an understatement.  I'm not a zealot but I make a point of doing it at least every other day.   And if I know I'm not going to be bugged by people pounding on the door I actually enjoy a bath.

Kid#1 reported how it was to be in the army and not shower for a couple of weeks and... well... If that doesn't make you appreciate warm water nothing will.

Plus I worked with some very sweet ladies who had moved from Russia and as much as I adored them...  Their attitude about showering was...  High on the gackometer.

I have trouble getting in the shower. My husband comments if I get really sweaty, but otherwise  no one says anything. I don't know what they think. The thing I notice is a get noticeable dandruff. When I do shower I try to wash my scalp well.

i accept offers of gum/mint. I never chew gum, but I figure it could be a hint I have bad breath.

i have started playing music to encourage me to get in the shower. 

My pdoc never mentions negative symptoms, but I know he notices how I am dressed, appearance. 

I have lots of trouble brushing my teeth. Most of the neglect is because is depression but also because I don't care about myself. So I started to care less about my appearance and hygiene as well. Another reason is because I'm scared of bathrooms. Mirrors make me so paranoid...