CrazyBoards.org

Can anyone tell me about hearing voices network?

i am in the US

i work as a peer mentor in an activity center for adults with mi. Today a guest asked about a hearing voices group. The closest one is about 45 minutes away. I don't know much about the support groups. My understanding is they offer support, sharing coping skills and acceptance. We have other support groups at our center.

The center is peer run, recovery based. We have members who hear voices. I think the group could fit in. I just think there is so much emphasis on medical care that it may be hard to bring in a group that is accepting on other interpretations on voices besides hallucinations and that maybe people want to cope in other ways than with medications.

any info or input would be appreciated 

We have members who hear voices. I think the group could fit in. I just think there is so much emphasis on medical care that it may be hard to bring in a group that is accepting on other interpretations on voices besides hallucinations and that maybe people want to cope in other ways than with medications.

To me, this sounds really complicated and confusing.  It seems like there could more than one group ... your mentor group, then a medical care one, just voices (no emphasis on medical care), and then one for people who want to cope in other ways than with medications.

And then there is finding someone to help run each group.  I'd be a little stressed.  Is there a person who heads the whole thing, so ie, you could bring this all up with him/her to get their opinion on it all?

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

To me, this sounds really complicated and confusing.  It seems like there could more than one group ... your mentor group, then a medical care one, just voices (no emphasis on medical care), and then one for people who want to cope in other ways than with medications.

And then there is finding someone to help run each group.  I'd be a little stressed.  Is there a person who heads the whole thing, so ie, you could bring this all up with him/her to get their opinion on it all?

I sent an e-mail to contact the person that leads the hearing voices group nearest to me to get more info.We already have some other groups. This is just more accepting of different beliefs and/or treatments.