CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

I didn't know where to put this topic, but it relates to recurrent bipolar II depression, treatment-resistant, so I figured I'd put it here. Please alert me if it's moved so that I can find it later.

I recently saw my pdoc, and after more than 6 months of treatment with me still not getting better with my weekly 4-day depressive meltdowns, he recommended looking into transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)

Basically:

1) Is this safe? Do I risk jumbling up another part of my brain? I figure it couldn't be any worse than what my meds are currently doing.

2) Does it work or is it a pseudoscience? I know "Magnet Therapy" has been disproven as nothing more than a pseudoscience. But  "transcranial magnetic stimulation" doesn't appear to be based on my preliminary research.

3) How does it work?

4) Does it matter if I'm taking a bunch of meds at the time of therapy?

5) Personal experiences with TMS?

Thank you all in advance :)

troop

There are certainly folks around here with more experience with TMS, so I'll leave the heavy lifting to them.

Here's what I know:

My pdoc does TMS in his office and I trust him implicitly. This man has truly saved my life more than once. If he says it's okay, I believe him.

One of the members of my group had it for treatment-resistant depression and it was a miracle cure for her. The difference over the course of the month's treatment was amazing. She "tops off" every once in a while since then but it's really been like night and day.

Not everyone with bipolar depression is eligible. Will you have to see another doc to be screened in or out? I know that for me, the danger of sending me into mania is just too high and I am not a suitable candidate.

Best of luck to you - depression really sucks.

• 2 weeks later...