CrazyBoards.org

Broadband, Satellite, Cell Phone, DSL

Alrighty.  I need advice.  Here's the thing.  Since I quit my hellhole of a job, I have to reduce expenses.

What do you use for:

*internet,

*dsl or broadband

*tv cable or satellite,

*cell phone,

*regular phone? 

How much $ are they?

If you wont be using the cell phone a lot I highly recommend tracfone.  You can find out about rates at Tracfone  They

have phones at walmart for $20 that include 10 free minutes so don't be tempted

to buy the more expensive phones they have on their website.  I hardly ever

have any problems with reception because they pay to use everyone elses

towers. I also saw some Net ten phones at walmart that you also prepay

minutes but they are cheaper than tracfone (10 cents a minute) but their terms

are a little different.  I think they are actually a subsidy of tracfone because they

are so similiar.  Their web site is Net Ten

I should add that both services require you to buy a phone card every 60 days

The cost of the cards should be on their websites.

Now that I have confused you I'll ramble on some more.

I don't know where you live but here in MA verizon offers a big discount on phone

service if you get any aid from the state (food stamps, etc..)

If you don't qualify for that I just saw a commercial for vonage I think it was.   

I have no idea what that's about but it said it was something like $25-$30 a month

including things like call waiting, etc.. I don't know the website but I bet it

can be found easily. 

About the internet, that's a tricky one-hard to get good service sometimes.

I think Netzero starts at $6.95 but I don't know how good their service is.  I would

recommend checking out epinions

for a lot of info about just about anything.  It helped me on many occasions.

I have no idea about tvs since mine is so old.

I hope this helped some.  Good luck with the budgeting!

Many states have a "Basic Phone Service" at reduced cost for those on disablity, low income etc. Probably has a limited number of local calls, no special features, etc.

I have no idea what the documentation requirements are.  Look in the front of your phone book or call your local phone company for info.

A.M.

TeleBright is a good site for making comparisons. It's the only one recommended by Consumer Reports. (All the other so-called comparison sites I've looked at were actually fronts for one particular phone company or another -- so no actual objective comparisons.)

Rate Plan Comparisons - Consumer:

http://www.telebright.com/srStartConsumer.asp

Rate Plan Comparisons - Business:

http://www.telebright.com/srStartBusiness.asp

Always check out the comparison results with the actual companies; you can't be sure the results always reflect the most up-to-date packages or deals offered.

I'm going through this myself with cell phones. It's never a fun process. ;)

Is there a reason you need a cell phone AND a landline phone?

I pay about $40 a month for my plan through T-mobile which has 650 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends.  I've been able to cancel my landline altogether. 

It's not a feasible option for everybody, but it's a way that I was able to reduce my bills by quite a bit (when you add together the cost of basic service + long distance).

As I remember, T-Mobile is rated the highest in customer satifaction in different polls. Here's the one from J.D. Power: http://consumercenter.jdpower.com/cc/rd/cc...eless/index.asp

T-Mobile also has great packages and rates. The problem with them is that they are still pretty sketchy in coverage outside of metropolitan areas. Not terrific in the state I live in. So, you need to check availabilty, rates, the phones, and -- in areas like mine -- the technology. At least here, we are better served with a duo technology, with a phone that is both analog and digital.

Pain is the ass.

About a year ago, Consumer Reports did a good article on cell phones and services. I believe the new January 2006 issue has revisted this. Not sure, but you may want to check the library or newstand.

Edited to add: Yes, the January 2006 Consumer Reports has an article on this.

Alrighty.  I need advice.  Here's the thing.  Since I quit my hellhole of a job, I have to reduce expenses.

What do you use for:

*internet,

*dsl or broadband

*tv cable or satellite,

*cell phone,

*regular phone? 

How much $ are they?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I guess I need to really dig into your thread. Was not aware you quit the job from hell. Round here the cheapest thing is to get basic cable with modem and cheapest cell phone, eliminating landline. There are phone services available thru computer, i.e., vonage, I haven't checked it out.

I wouldn't go back to dial up for anything, I'm using it right now til Cable gets here on Tuesday. (Yes, I did get a land line phone) but I have kids, and so....I need that hot line home open at all times when I'm out. But if it were just me, I woudl have cell phone, basic cable with highspeed internet. Period.

So what's the plan? I reckon I'll toggle over to your thread and read in an upwardly direction...

Hugs,

Suz

Guest luli2545

Yeah Libby huh?

1. Broadband is thru cable company here. 60 per month but since I got cable tv I get it for 45/month. If I didn't use the tv cable company to get tv staions, they woud charge me 60 per molnth for having my computer use their signal to get to the internet. It is what I use now even though comcast has a monopoly which I do not like the idea of.

It was pretty fast.

2. Dsl is a way to hook up computer through the telephone lines. Think I could get it for about 30 a month.

With dsl you have your regular landline phone system working at the same time.

When I pushed for an answer DSL or broadband thru cable, the kids said keep the cable broadband. But like I said, I don't care for my cable company. oh well.

I think "voip" is voice over ip? Heard it doesn't work very well.

Is it vonex or vodaphone? Anyhow that is kind of like you can talk into your computer. It's pretty not up to where it might be in the future quality wise. Some folks like it. My tekkykids said to wait to get it it's not good as a substitute for landline or cell quality wise.

I'm thinking this "voice over ip" needs either #1 or #2 to work. And even then frustrating results.

Too bad tin cans with waxed string won't do it for internet hook up!

Good luck with this,

from,

technopeasant

naive-end-user

Luli

Don't even concern yourself with VoIP, which is "Voice over IP" (Internet protocol). It's Internet telephone, and no...not good enough yet, from what I've heard.

I should have just cut out the last paragraph of the quote from Consumer Reports. The gist of it is that you should always keep a landline, wired phone -- at least for emergencies. You only need local service for this purpose.

Sorry for the confusion.

Your broadband options really depend on where you live. You might want to check out what's available before you go any farther in the decision making process. For example, I can't get cable for Internet access where I live, so I have DSL.

Your broadband options really depend on where you live. You might want to check out what's available before you go any farther in the decision making process. For example, I can't get cable for Internet access where I live, so I have DSL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in a city of a million people, so access is not an issue.  We're also the home of IBM, Dell, Samsung, National Instruments, Texas Instruments, and Applied Materials, among many others.  This is definitely a "techie" town.

OK, so I still don't know what to do. 

Does anyone have sbcglobal for>>> phone, DSL, and dishnetwork, and cingular wireless? 

I hear you can get them as a package deal from sbc, but can't find bundle pricing info online, and I hate to talk on the phone to salespeople.

*My time warner cable modem broadband modem will be dead in a few days.

*i already killed my cingular wireless.

*i already went down to basic dishnetwork.

*i still have landline.

i still need cheaper.

Help?

My housemate and I have:

* sbcglobal for DSL - okay most of the time. Tech support when you need it is pretty sucky.

* SBC for our landlines - HORRIBLE. Never can get the bill right. Service attrocious; keep overcharging us, even after they say they are going to fix it. At one point, they were even charging us for calls made on someone elses number having no relationship whatsoever to any of our phones or location!!! Unbelieveable. They were just adding these calls onto our bill. ;)

* Verizon for housmate's cell phone. Very unhappy with them. I gave up on them years ago, shortly after they bought GTE and then overcharged me by more than $700 dollars!

I haven't had a cell phone since then, but because of all the above listed problems, housemate and I are thinking of switching all phones except one landline over to another cell phone company. Not sure which. Wish it could be T-Mobile, but bad coverage in this area. Down to Cingular and Sprint, with a slight edge to Sprint.

I hate all these companies, and am NOT looking forward to this new shopping process.

Before I moved here, I had cable Internet with @Home (now defunct). Had it only for a short time before moving, but was very happy with it.

We have Charter Cable TV. Okay. Decent enough.

Don't know if any of this will help you, Libby. Wish I knew more for myself as well, but I figure they are almost all slime at this point, they know they have you by the gonads, and will get you somehow in the long run. :) Sorry, wish I could be cherrier, but having been screwed by all these assholes as many times as I have, I don't have a lot of faith.

Please keep me posted. I'd like to learn from your experience as well. 

* SBC for our landlines - HORRIBLE. Never can get the bill right. Service attrocious; keep overcharging us, even after they say they are going to fix it. At one point, they were even charging us for calls made on someone elses number having no relationship whatsoever to any of our phones or location!!! Unbelieveable. They were just adding these calls onto our bill.
hmmm...I have SBC for landline for 20+ years.  Have never had a problem, except they're too damned expensive. (It used to be called Southwestern Bell, prior to SBC.)

It looks like I'm going to have to break down and call them to find out about these package deals.  Bleah.

Archived