CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone stayed on the same antipsychotic

I believe my OP belongs in this forum because it is to mainly to do with antipsychotics.

I was fine on seroquel xr. Saphris came out and tried it. Didn't work. And just today I saw my psych and told him I wanted to try Latuda. Right there and then he gave me samples. 

No doubt I'll want to try the next new antipsychotic that comes out. 

I'm just curious has anyone stayed on the same antipsychotic for all these years or do you just do what I do? Been on every atypical at least twice... 

Edited by madmax15
been on every antipsychotic. is it just me?!

Why would you change antipsychotics just to try another one out. Seroquel was working well for you so why change?? Unless of course there were bad side effects or it was a costly medication

I really don't understand why you would want to continuously try another antipsychotic without good reason. 

You could be messing with your mental health!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

To answer your question, I have been on the same antipsychotic (seroquel) for 12 years.

However during that time I switched to ability because I had gained so much weight on seroquel. However I went back to seroquel after a while as it wasn't as effective and I had akathisia.

I have been on Abilify since 2003 and still on it, doing fine.

Why do you want to keep changing the APs one right after the other?  And your pdoc is allowing this?

How long do you give a new med to work before starting another one?  Usually 6-8 weeks to fully get into your system.  (Unless there is some life-threatening side effect and pdoc says to stop it).

I stayed on fluphenazine (prolixin) for 1 year and loved it but it made my prolactin levels through the roof. Now I am on Zyprexa and it seems to be working. Unless something is causing side effects or what not, try to stay on the med. I used to switch my meds all the time because I had a bad pdoc and I was so unstable. Now that I have had the same pdoc for 2 years who is very cautious with medication I am doing better.

I have been on Abilify since 2011. Since then, Rexulti and Vraylar have come out and are supposed to be like "new and improved" Abilify, but I see no reason to change what's working for me. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

9 hours ago, rowan77 said:

Why would you change antipsychotics just to try another one out. Seroquel was working well for you so why change?? Unless of course there were bad side effects or it was a costly medication

I really don't understand why you would want to continuously try another antipsychotic without good reason. 

The reason I wanted to change was because of the sedation. I would spend over half the day in bed. In my doctors words "you're sleeping your life away! "

I've been on most of the AAPs, some more than once.  I've been on Saphris though for...4 years?  5?  I've lost track.  And on Loxapine (typical AP) for over a year.  

Both work well for me.  Well enough eventually I'd like to go off Saphris, but my mood is a little labile still and I'm not sure what if anything Saphris does to help fight that.  Loxapine has been great as an anti-psychotic though.

If you have been on all the AP's but none have worked, how did the Abililfy work for you and why did you stop it?

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 4.10.43 AM.png

I'm just curious has anyone stayed on the same antipsychotic for all these years or do you just do what I do? Been on every atypical at least twice... 

Edited by melissaw72

I don't know if it is a good idea to switch around. But I took Latuda for several months, and it completely stabilized me. I'd still be taking it today, if it didn't cost $500-700 a month. I cried when I had to come off of it. I can't say it was weight neutral, because I was gaining very slowly, like 5 lbs. over a couple of months. But my weight fluctuates all the time, so I am guessing that was me, and not the Latuda.