CrazyBoards.org

Can Lamictal pull me out of depression? I have major depressive disorder and the Lamictal was prescribed for Depersonalization stuff. But can it also pull me out of this deep dark depression I am in?? Will it help get rid of the suicidal thoughts? :(

4 minutes ago, surreal said:

Can Lamictal pull me out of depression?

It can, but I think the studies are mixed on this. Some show that it doesn't work, but the general consensus I get is that it does indeed help with depression.

5 minutes ago, surreal said:

Will it help get rid of the suicidal thoughts?

It didn't for me, but Tegretol did. But if it works to pull you out of the depression then I would imagine that it will help with the suicidal thoughts.

• Like 1

It may be different for me because (they think) I have a bipolar diagnosis, but lamictal has been the drug that completely pulled me out of a depressive episode twice.  Both times there were smaller med changes that helped get me part of the way there, but it was fairly clear that lamictal was the one that got me the rest of the way based on timing.  So I think the potential is definitely there.  I believe, though not completely sure, that the majority of actual scientific studies are on either the epilepsy treatment or on the preventing mood episodes in bipolar disorder, rather than actually treating one.  But I know I'm not the only one here for whom it's worked.  I hope it's helpful for you also. 

• Like 1

I might as well give it a go and see if it helps with the depression. It seems like no one really knows whether or not I have Unipolar depression or Bipolar depression. One pdoc thinks that because I had a manic/hypomanic reaction to an antidepressant/abilify combo that means I am prone to Bipolar. I just don't know. I just want to get the proper treatment.

I'm not going to start the Lamictal on my own, even though I filled the prescription. I am going to go IP to start it in about a week or so. Possibly sooner.

• Like 1

Yes, lamictal has pulled me out of depression. It did so at 200mg and I remained fairly stable for a few years. Then the depression came back and my pdoc increased my dose gradually to 300mg and when I was on that dose for a while my mood definitely improved and I saw the light! So I really like lamictal. It sorts my depression out!!

• Like 1

After reading, researching and everything I was sure it could not, specially when used for acute depression...

I tried to find another pdoc that would put on antidepressants, nobody at the time wanted me to touch antidepressants...

Well, took me about four months to start feeling fine.

After that I spent three months very productive...

Worked, I was really out of depression and out of anything related to mania.

Unfortunately it worsens too much my insomnia since the start and I'm still having headaches after starting it at a very low dosage.

At the end, because of the worsening in the insomnia I was probably becoming hypomanic and unfortunately I had to quit it.

I think when life is really worth living you don't think about suicide, so if it will do the trick on depression you'll focus on something else.

Now, I'm pretty sure one time that I took a valproate derivate for a year it made more suicidal than normal but not happened the something second time around.

Anyways,

I will have to try to see...

From everything I've read, Lamictal can be used to treat unipolar depression, but for those who have closer to Bipolar II on the invisible spectrum, then a standard antidepressant (SSRI, NDRI) may be needed as an adjunctive med. Also, though individuals vary in their needed dosage of Lamictal (or any psych-med), I would think you'd need a minimum of 150mg to get an effect, considering your diagnoses. Be patient if you can. It sounds like you are in a very hard place right now. Lamictal is pretty awesome, but it does take time to titrate up to a therapeutic dose.

Lamictal is known for being effective at treating the deep depression of Bipolar II, in conjunction with other psych meds.

I am bipolar II and I am on Latuda. That worked for most of my "bipolar" symptoms (racing thoughts, paranoia, anxiety) but I still had some lingering depression. We added Lamictal (I take 200mgs, but we moved up very very slowly coz I had a bad reaction to it before.). It completely took away my depressive symptoms.

It certainly pulled me out of my deep depression last time I took it and I had my best years of functioning while taking it, although my mood started to decline gradually after a while. I have just restarted it today. I hope it will do the same for me again, as part of a different cocktail. I have heard lots of positive anecdotes of people using Lamictal for unipolar and bipolar depression, particularly where numerous other meds had failed. It has the advantage of being quite different, chemically, to other medications used for these conditions. I hope it helps you.

May have is accurate, but not guaranteed either way....can help both types of depression according to what's above.  With the really fast response, One thing you might want to watch is if things become too good (hypo) as you keep going up (assuming you do).  If so, you might temporarily need something to keep it in check.  

Yeah, I'm surprised that I am responding so quickly. But I was told by the medical professionals that *most* people start to notice a difference within a few days and usually around 50 mgs. I didn't notice anything until one week on the 50 mg.

But it may be also the Zyprexa helping too. I started them at the same time. I see my regular pdoc soon so I'll be going up on the Lamictal.

Also of note, the in-patient doctors did not want me on an anti-depressant for some reason.

I did have a manic or hypo-manic reaction to a combo of 200mg Zoloft + 2 mg Abilify in the past.

I also have the sudden urge to want to bake a cake. I know that sounds silly, but it's pretty out of character for me. With my manic reaction to the zoloft/abilify, I started baking cakes and cupcakes all day long and spending a lot of money on stuff. I would go to the store multiple times a day just because. (I was told by 2 pdocs this was a manic reaction)

Interesting...I hadn't known about the most reacting at 50mg.  I can't see what's above your post--but are you familiar with the fact that the titration can be rocky?  I either felt better and then stopped before increasing and then felt better and then stopped before increasing again (in other words within each dosage increase it went from better to worse), or it went the opposite way.  If you haven't heard of t, others may be able to explain better because my brain is currently around 65%. 

IP pdoc didn't want me on ADs either, but I came in with a manic episode, so that's a bit clearer.

I hadn't heard that it can be rocky, no. I was told by one of the IP pdoc's that they have a lot of patients on Lamictal because it's a good med. I hope I can get up to 150mg alright. I feel pretty ok for now. I am mostly worried about "the rash" but so far nothing. No side effects either. Just a bit of a better mood. Could still use more improvement, but it's better than the suicidal depression I was in for a few weeks.

It's great that you're getting the improvement.  It's been amazing for me for many years, just took a bit of bouncing around up the titration part.  Hopefully you can avoid that nastiness and the rash of you haven't hit it yet.

sorry I'll stop flooding your thread!  I'm sure others can speak to the bipolar/not question, but I think the answer might be that there just isn't an answer.

• Like 1

You aren't flooding it. I have found your information and advice very helpful. :)

I feel like everything is beautiful right now. I'm floating through space. I'm dreaming. And it's beautiful. And I'm euphoric. somewhat. 

I feel high.