CrazyBoards.org

has your bipolar type changed over time?

For most of my life, I had long hypomanias (about 3-4 months or more) alternating with mild-moderate depressions (around 6 months). I had some paranoia with the hypomania, so maybe that makes it mania, but honestly I don't think of it that way.

Then this year, I had two severe, psychotic manic episodes. I have also had several short psychotic, suicidal depressions.

After my initial onset, I think I had a period of 12 years of BPII, but now I'm BPI with psychosis.

Can the nature and/or type of your bipolar disorder suddenly (or gradually) change over time? Has this happened to you? I'm worried that this is the new normal.

ETA: I'm not asking if you were misdiagnosed. I mean did the course of your illness change.

Edited by aura
clarification

Hmmm...

After diagnosed with bipolar 1. I become plain depressed for almost two years.

A bunch of changes in my life for the worst, professional, relationships, plans, health, finance... you name it.

I could not get any response based on treatment to that depression until things started getting better at the first semester of last year, after that I was back to the same pattern as 'always'.

The 'environment' changed my symptoms but PDOC said there's not such a thing like the salad of things that goes on my episodes.

I truly don't know if it's possible.

Like, I honestly still don't get how can someone be Manic and not Psychotic.

Can the nature and/or type of your bipolar disorder suddenly (or gradually) change over time? Has this happened to you? I'm worried that this is the new normal.

Yes, it has happened to me and was gradually changed over time ... I was bipolar 2, to bipolar 1, to SZA -bipolar-type, to SZA -SZ-type. This was over time, started about 1995 (officially) to ... not sure when the types changed to SZ-type, but that is my current diagnosis.

Not to say that this will happen to everyone, just is what happened to me.

6 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Yes, it has happened to me and was gradually changed over time ... I was bipolar 2, to bipolar 1, to SZA -bipolar-type, to SZA -SZ-type. This was over time, started about 1995 (officially) to ... not sure when the types changed to SZ-type, but that is my current diagnosis.

Not to say that this will happen to everyone, just is what happened to me.

But did you feel like your symptoms changed too, not just your diagnosis? Did you fit the BPII criteria and then later have a manic episode?

2 hours ago, aura said:

But did you feel like your symptoms changed too, not just your diagnosis? Did you fit the BPII criteria and then later have a manic episode?

Yes, symptoms did change, over time, after being in the hospital multiple times long enough (2-3 months at a time) and a lot of med changes that they observed me and my diagnoses changed. 

In the beginning when I was diagnosed with the BP 2, I had no idea what symptoms were happening when.  And I didn't know what was what.  Much of the time I was so drugged up I had no clue about anything.  I wasn't paying attention to symptoms ... didn't even know what to look for.  And that was the same for all of my diagnoses up until now.

My diagnosis has changed form MDD (which was just because I initially presented as depressed), BP II. BP II with double depression, BP NOS, and then 4 years ago, I had a dysphoric mania with psychosis, and was changed to BP I. My symptoms have definitely changed throughout my life. My first moderate depression was when I was 16, so over 36 years?