CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar disorder and rage

hi everybody i wanted to ask if anger and rage is related to bipolar disorder.i was diagnosed bipolar and also ocd. my pdoc told me that mania doesnt always manifest in euphoria but it can also manifest in rage or paranoid thiniking,,before i started to take medication i had way too much rage fits with racing thoughts and also times when i was too hyper with racing thoughts.... ive noticed that during a mania episode or depression episode my ocd is barely noticeable its only when my mood is stable that the ocd hits me why is that?

I have a lot of rage problems, especially when I'm hypo/manic. Even more so when I'm mixed. My understanding is that it's pretty typical. 

With the OCD, I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I might think you don't notice the symptoms as much when you're in a mood state because the mood state is so all-consuming. But that's just a very uneducated guess.

23 hours ago, bigbangaz said:

ive noticed that during a mania episode or depression episode my ocd is barely noticeable its only when my mood is stable that the ocd hits me why is that?

I have precisely this experience. I think it's because when my mood is elevated I'm too carefree to have o-c, and when I'm depressed I don't care enough. Just a theory though. It's annoying because it means I'm always symptomatic in some way!

As for rage, yes this can be a part of bipolar mania. 

I have SZA, (but have been through the bipolar diagnosis) and I get angry a lot.  Sometimes Idk where it comes from though. 

Example ... yesterday I was writing notes to talk about with pdoc.  I had something that I've been very angry about for a few years ago, and I just started writing about it and everything I can think of how, andhow he broke HIPAA laws And he didn't realize it. 

Anyway I printed everything out.  Went back later to re-read what I'd written and I was like "I wrote this?"   It was only then that I realized I had had a huge burst of anger without realizing it until I went back to re-read what I'd written.

---------------------------

So when I get the anger outbursts I don't realize I am having them until after the fact.

I agree with aura, that rage can be a part of bipolar.  I wasn't manic when I did it, but more towards the hypo part.

I have lots of anger/rage/irritability issues that scare me sometimes... I have tendency to get dysphoria, or euphoric dysphoria or changing of those opposities... it's really hard to describe. But I can suddenly feel intense anger for no reason, and it feels like it's the nervous system that is whacked, or emotional stasis or exploding feeling. I have quite much paranoid thinking too. I am still trying to find something that would help the terrible irritability that I get.

Some people use Topamax for anger issues. It is a strong med, and for me, it came with some annoying side effects. But several people on CBs are pleased with it.

If you switch rapidly between euphoria and dysphoria, you might want to look up "mixed episode" or "mixed states." I don't know if that is what is going on, but it is worth a look.