CrazyBoards.org

It seems like the symptoms of psychosis and schizophrenia are so cliche or stereotypical. Especially the delusional content. Theres basically no delusion you have had that isn't documented somewhere in some medical journal. My question is why is there such a commonality of symptom content? I mean sure its the same illness schizophrenia but looking back when i was delusional my delusional content was so ridiculously corny and just bad. Its like going to a movie theater even though you have seen the movie 100 times. Yet you keep coming back maybe not by choice but you are still there.  Like delusions that you are very rich or divine etc...now I will admit having those delusions are better than having persecutory delusions but even those seem to run across the same type of content. Its like schizophrenia is boring someone change the channel already.

• Like 2

I thought my delusions were unique because I was the one chosen, but when I hear people they have similar themes. I don't know why.

i know that is no help, but yeah, couldn't I be a little more creative

i still have some doubts they are "delusions"

Edited by confused
  • Like 1

Illnesses tend to have a set of common symptoms that most afflicted experience at some time in the course of the illness. That there are common themes to delusions only further supports the understanding that schizophrenia is an mental illness.

Yeah, the whole anti-psychiatry world can get both frightening and illogical so quickly.

For the common set of symptoms from person to person and across cultures, I agree with notloki that it really hints to me at least that there's really an underlying illness there that causes the commonality.  Potentially partially biology or neurology based, possibly genetically based, possibly something else...but that there really is something causing it to appear across populations. 

that honestly makes me wonder how various mental illnesses are handled across some of the countries I have much less contact with (via CB or elsewhere)...I might poke around that if I randomly have free time. 

• Like 1

You are all so right. I always feel like the chosen one no matter what, even now I feel like the things I experience are very personal and deep despite so many other people having the same symptoms. It does make me feel less alone though, knowing that I'm not the only one (a little less special though). I do think it's a thing only people on the schizophrenia spectrum can call cliche and stereotypical. Since non-crazies always seem intrigued and freaked out by my symptoms lol.

• Like 1

Yep.

Same here, for a while I thought, wow, this is breaking trough, I'm going to be something special, I'm unique.

After a while, if I change somethings, can be details or by empathy, I can see a bunch of people that went to same thing or too similar as I did.

After recognizing, maybe all the patterns of my psychoses and/or mania and seeing that they are very well categorized and not as rare as I thought, even tough, it wasn't as easy as it could for me to accepting and getting well.

I still have a delusion or a fantasy, at this point I don't know but maybe it is the only thing left in terms or related to something brought by psychoses for me to think that there's more to life...

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much the same way. I feel like I am chosen to understand, and that I will live forever, and something wonderful and important will happen to me, something that concerns the world. I hear a crowd shouting at me, and individual voices popping up, telling me what to do. I believe the TV is speeding up and shaving minutes off my life. I can feel my cells die. People stare at me on the bus, biting my soul with their teeth, and stealing my life. I am like God and can heal with my hands and thoughts.  I see spiders creep out of my walls. When I try to open the door to leave, the door moves to the side, just out of reach of my hand, so I am forced to stay inside. If I do go out, I'm afraid the air will turn to acid and my skin will dissolve. Sometimes I see my teeth in my hands.

Those is a lot more idiotic-sounding stuff, but those come to mind. The thing is, even when I have a lucid period, I still believe the delusions to a large degree.