CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
rnorth512

Newly Diagnosed

After eight months of waiting, I finally had my neuropsych testing done and the results are Bipolar 1. 

Doctors say there is help out there but I haven't found it yet. Therapy is kind of a joke. Less than an hour a week doesn't even begin to cover the tip of the iceberg.

I want to talk to others in person. The 150 person lecture near me week seems like an unlikely place for me to meet other people. I function better in smaller groups.

There are groups at my hospital but they all meet during work hours. Errr that doesn't work.

So what then? Take these pills and don't kill yourself. K, thanks doc.

If you function better in small groups, you might want to go look on Meetup.com to see if there are any local groups for people with mental illness, possibly even bipolar specific. The group will almost certainly have more people enrolled in it than those who actually participate, so look at the invite area, not the total membership, to see how big the meetings are. Also, try NAMI.org.

Unfortunately, taking pills and not killing yourself are your best options. You may have to try different meds, or combos of meds, before you feel better, which can take a while.

I've enjoyed some therapists, and despised others. I haven't really had much therapy. It's more of a support thing than a cure for your illness. That may be why you are getting so little time.

Are you suicidal, or "just" miserable?

Others may have better opinions of therapy than I do.

I, personally, find therapy helpful for support. I have a lot of stressors, and it's good to be able to get them out and try to work out a way to handle them. I haven't really dived into anything more intensive, though. I just always seem to have something more immediate going on. 

In regards to meds, once you find the right cocktail they can help a lot. I'm not *quite* there yet, but it's better than nothing. 

Mental illness is hard as hell, but there is hope. I've seen people on here who function very well despite their illness. 

DBSA groups were suggested to me, they were available at different hours. I opted not to go, but you might look into that group. Personally, I went  through a lot of therapy at one time in my life, some good, some abusive, so I'm not as big a fan as some. The therapy group sessions I went to, about 4 times, weren't right for me, but might be OK for someone else. NAMI might know of other resources, too. Honestly, yes, the right meds helped more than some of the therapists, but I would not want to sound anti therapy. Now, my HMO doesn't provide frequent therapist visits anyway, and I just check in infrequently, which is OK. I hope you find a group that's a good fit, but don't give up on meds, either. 

I like the DBSA group I go to. It's LGBTQ specific, so that works particularly well for me. Usually 10-20 people attend, and I've made some friends there.

All that being said, sorry about the diagnosis but welcome to CB.

4 hours ago, Chantho said:

I, personally, find therapy helpful for support. I have a lot of stressors, and it's good to be able to get them out and try to work out a way to handle them. I haven't really dived into anything more intensive, though. I just always seem to have something more immediate going on. 

In regards to meds, once you find the right cocktail they can help a lot. I'm not *quite* there yet, but it's better than nothing. 

Mental illness is hard as hell, but there is hope. I've seen people on here who function very well despite their illness. 

I also find therapy helpful for support.  Pdoc also does therapy with me.

(in bold) This is how it is for me.  What i do though is write stuff down when it happens, so if you have time later on, you can bring it up.  Plus it helps me talk right away when In for the appt, instead of taking 15 minutes to finally realize what I had wanted to talk about.  And then the appt ends 15 minutes later.

I agree with having the right cocktail helping a lot.  AFAIK (knock on wood) I have the right cocktail, except that sometimes the doses have to be tweaked.  But I have been on the same meds for a long time (except I weaned off of Prozac) and the meds have brought me out of delusions, I have less hallucinations, and communicate less with people "talking" for me.  I still have breakthrough symptoms, but not as much as before being on the current cocktail.

• Like 1