CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Icthysia

What are some OCD medications bipolar people can take?

Hi everyone, I've been struggling with OCD for the better part of about two years, and something that's made its treatment a lot more complicated is the fact that I have Bipolar I.

I know that the first line treatment for OCD includes SSRIs and antidepressants, but I can't take any of those because there's a very high risk of mania. I'm also not a big fan of the idea of "augmenting" with SSRIs with a mood stabilizer, as my psychiatrist compares it to playing with fire.

Medications that I have looked into include Seroquel (makes me into a zombie), Buspar (apparently doesn't work; makes me drowsy), Memantine (trying now, mixed results), Inositol (apparently it can cause mania so I never tried it), and more.

Lately I've been looking into things like Lyrica, gabapentin, and riluzole, but I'm starting to get desperate because there's not a lot of stuff out there that's both A) effective for OCD and B) safe for bipolar people to take.

What do you all think? Do you guys know of any bipolar-friendly medications I could add to the list of stuff I'm looking into?

Why don't you ask your psychiatrist what he would recommend?

I'm a little bit taken aback by what your psychiatrist told you because many people with bipolar are successfully treated with SSRIs once they are stabilized on a good mood stabilizer(s). It's not really considered augmenting. It's called treating the OCD. The mood stabilizer(s) is for the bipolar.

Other than that you might consider Risperdal or Invega because some people have luck with those. I did not, however. I also find that Abilify does not help with OCD.

3 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Why don't you ask your psychiatrist what he would recommend?

I'm a little bit taken aback by what your psychiatrist told you because many people with bipolar are successfully treated with SSRIs once they are stabilized on a good mood stabilizer(s). It's not really considered augmenting. It's called treating the OCD. The mood stabilizer(s) is for the bipolar.

Other than that you might consider Risperdal or Invega because some people have luck with those. I did not, however. I also find that Abilify does not help with OCD.

I have asked my psychiatrist before what she recommends and the answer is usually "therapy" but therapy isn't helping fast enough in my case.

As for the "augmenting" thing, I myself am nervous about it because I'm worried that adding an SSRI would upset the balance that the mood stabilizers have made possible. The last time I tried doing something that affected the mood stabilizers, it was lowering one of them slightly, and that caused a psychotic mania.

I'm in exactly the same situation. From experience, SSRIs are off limit, especially at the maxed out dosages that are needed for OCD.

I'm taking geodon. I was prescribed this in hospital for obsessive thoughts. My doctors insisted they had done some research into my situation, and that either geodon, latuda or ability would work. 

Results so far... I don't know. I was also experiencing psychosis at the time, and the geodon took care of that. It also took care of my obsessive thoughts for a period of time. Now they're back. My normal OCD rituals also never changed.

Your best option, honestly, is to find a really great therapist who can do exposure and response prevention therapy with you. That's what has helped me the most, not meds. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Edited by aura

Anafranil and desipramine did not work for me.  This was while in college, and I was not in a pdoc's long-term care.  I was seeing seeing this pdoc to see if he could help in any way.  After those meds didn't work, I didn't go back (not because of those meds not working, but because he really screwed me over money-wise and for  a couple other shit reasons I won't get into here). 

Ability really works for me in reducing the interesting thoughts. Not gone, but reduced. It may be a great way to make therapy more effective. My therapist tools me that a having the obsessions somewhat controlled made therapy tolerable enough that I could bear to do it.

Also, what kind of therapy are you doing? CBT/ERP?

Lyrica is great for me. Sort of my saviour. Other SSRIs I have taken show more or less the same result. I really can't feel any difference when my psy switch meds for me. 

Effexor is one I really don't like. It makes me sweat like hell. Abilifi also has serious side effects on me which makes me pace n pace non stop. 

A good therapist will be a great help, although the result usually won't show overnight. If you have so many doubts, why not get a second opinion? It's better then searching the Net. 

Edited by Yoshimi Nagasaki

Supposedly medications which antagonize glutamatergic neurotransmission are said to be good for OCD.

Medicines like memantine (Namenda), topiramate (Topamax), zonisamide (Zonegran), lamotrigine (Lamictal), riluzole (Rilutek), N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC, which you can buy OTC)... Some other medicines that might help are levetiracetam (Keppra), amantadine (Symmetrel), and Lyrica (pregabalin) (and for that matter, gabapentin (Neurontin) might work too).

Oh, apparently haloperidol (Haldol) is an NMDA antagonist too, but you might not want to start reaching for that first thing for OCD. Magnesium is a natural NMDA antagonist I think I've heard, and zinc has antiglutamatergic properties about it too I think (at the NMDA receptor too).

Don't know if any of these links will be of any help since I'm more or less skimming through them to see if they're mostly relevant lol, but here should be some helpful links to support this.

Memantine
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4085808/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19142108

Topiramate
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4543099/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4274576/
(couldn't find anything on monotherapy with topiramate... only augmentation)

Zonisamide
(couldn't find anything for it... sorry :( )

Lamotrigine
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4418246/
(again, it's not talking about monotherapy, only augmentation)

Riluzole
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2958461/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26214725
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15993857

NAC
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4423164/
(appears to need really high doses)

Levetiracetam
https://www.jscimedcentral.com/Psychiatry/psychiatry-3-1045.pdf
(However, it seems levetiracetam may induce obsessive-compulsive like symptoms in some people, so you have to be careful with this one. Personally I take it and find that it benefits my OCD and Tourette's syndrome slightly, but I'm on kind of a low dose.)

Amantadine (similar to memantine)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24824662
(Again, it's just talking about augmentation...)

Lyrica (pregabalin)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21460732

Gabapentin
(couldn't really find anything)

Hope this helps in some way! Good luck finding something to help you with your OCD!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By PurplePaisley
      I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.
      Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.
      In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.
      New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 
      I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.
      I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 
      I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.
      Purple

• By mikl_pls
      I've been relatively stable with a few jags here and there for almost 2 years, and suddenly I'm experiencing some depression that has me in tears at times, as well as anxiety that results in panic attacks so bad that I feel like I can't breathe. I'm very emotionally labile, reactive to any trigger, sending me to seclusion with my depression.
      The only thing that has changed is that I swapped Dexedrine to Bontril-PDM for my weight management (and with Bontril-PDM, off-label ADHD management, idiopathic hypersomnia management, and treatment of refractory bipolar depression). I'm thinking this may be the trigger, but I needed to take a break from Dexedrine because my receptors were too desensitized to it and I was starting to gain weight, sleep all day, become very inattentive (like almost having wrecks kind of inattentive), and feel a little depressed. So I may have identified my trigger, but I need to take a good break from Dexedrine so when I resume it, it will work as it did when I first started it.
      My question is how does one prevent depression (neurochemical, not cognitive)? Is there something that can be temporarily added to my cocktail? I see my pdoc Friday. I have tried lithium and it causes seizures. Depakote makes me a zombie. Lamictal causes horrendous acne. I'd rather not add a second antipsychotic. Increasing the antidepressants seem to do nothing. 
      Should I just get back on Dexedrine ASAP? Or continue to give it a break and try other alternatives? I thought about trying Ritalin again, but a much higher dose than I've tried before, like 40-60 mg in Metadate CD form (the only form I felt anything from with methylphenidate). Concerta and regular Ritalin are useless, and I've heard bad things about Ritalin LA.
      Any responses or insight would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!  
    • By Blahblah
      Just to preface, I don't take Ritalin for ADHD...it's more for Depression, motivation, procrastination, mental stamina purposes.
      Has anyone found that you get TOO focused on it? Maybe because I don't actually have ADHD, but I start working on 1 thing and become OBSESSIVELY focused on it (like it brings out the uber perfectionist in me). I forget to eat, I don't take breaks from my desk, and then my brain just shuts off from exhaustion. At the end, I've accomplished only 1-2 tasks.
      I have great difficulty switching tasks or getting all "priority" things done, because I get so stuck on working for HOURS on the same little thing!
      Basically, my processing speed is much slower, I can't adjust to "fast paced" situations, because I mull on things, make revisions over & over & over etc. On the other hand, if i go without taking it, I lay around, procrastinate, lack all motivation, and I'm unable to start anything at all. Not sure how to solve this? Do other stimulants work in the same way?
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 
      My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.
      I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 
      The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 
      Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 
      Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused. 
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.