CrazyBoards.org

Facial Neuralgia From Alcohol Only

Does anyone else have a weird reaction to alcohol?  

My thing is if I drink alcohol, sometimes even a sip or two, I get pain in both sides of my face and jaw- like a piercing, burning, hot, highly painful and sharp feeling that may radiate down the sides of my neck.  

I never get facial neuralgia unless I drink alcohol.  

I can get away with certain beers and even vodka but it seems that wine and certain liquors will cause the reaction.  It's touchy really.  Sometimes I think I know which kinds of alcohol cause it and then I'll have the same thing another day and I'll have  flare up.  

I scoured the internet to find a term that best encompasses the sensation in my face and after literally years of searching I read about facial neuralgia.  I m pretty sure I read it has neurological causes.  I happen to have another neurological disorder called Nystagmus that I was born with which causes my eyes to sometimes flicker back and forth.  I wonder if the two are related.  My nystagmus is the congenital kind and there are no structural abnormalities in my brain.  it is what is known as an anomaly.  I forget the exact definition of anomaly. Basically, my eye shake sometimes and sometimes they are still.  It IS something in the brain but not something that can be identified and although it is rare there are other people just like me.  

I am leaning towards it being a chemical sensitivity.  i just wonder why it expresses itself as facial neuralgia.  

Any ideas would be welcome.  

Have you looked up Trigeminal Neuralgia? Anyway, if you need an explanation, you need to be evaluated by a Dr. You can't make this diagnosis on your own.

Also heavy use of alcohol can cause Alcoholic Neuralgia. If you have a drinking problem, you need to deal with that before they can treat the neuropathy.

22 minutes ago, crtclms said:

Have you looked up Trigeminal Neuralgia? Anyway, if you need an explanation, you need to be evaluated by a Dr. You can't make this diagnosis on your own.

Also heavy use of alcohol can cause Alcoholic Neuralgia. If you have a drinking problem, you need to deal with that before they can treat the neuropathy.

Actually I don't have a problem with drinking.  I barely ever drink at all.  I do have a binge eating disorder however.

Anyways I found one thing on the internet where the neuralgia was inherited and idiopathic.  It was also triggered very much by alcohol in this individual.  They also had other triggers but so far I only have one trigger- alcohol.  

Maybe im allergic and it manifests as neuralgia?

Allergic to alcohol, do you mean? It's rare, but it happens. And you don't need to drink very much to trigger a reaction. Also possibilities are the sulfites in white wine, histmines in red wine, and tannins.