CrazyBoards.org

Um. Excessive bowel movements due to anxiety?

Well there you have it. I mean, I have a movement at least 3 times a day when I'm at work and maybe only one if I'm at home, and I get panic attacks and anxiety symptoms usually only while working. (which is weird because I'm comfortable at my job and don't know why I'd be ill)  I know the "fight or flight method" for diarrhea when anxious, but these are, er, regular. Just many. Anxiety? 

I think anxiety can cause more frequent trips to the bathroom.  For me, it can be a combo of anxiety and relaxing at the same time.  If that makes sense.  ie, when I get up in the AM, I am not too anxious but it can come on fast.  I tend to relax a little when at the computer doing stuff, and I will go sometimes 2-3 times when doing that.  For me it is a regular thing except when I go on a trip somewhere ... then everything gets messed up.

IMO, if it doesn't stop happening, I would see a GI DR, just to make sure things are ok.  At least then you can rule out anything medically.

I do have IBS, which can complicate things though.  I still believe that the anxiety can be a factor in having to running to the bathroom a lot though.

When I am super anxious, I have the same problem. My entire family responds to stress by having gut issues. My dad is mildly bipolar, I have a bulimic sister, and a sister with depression. But the one who actually has the worst gut issues is the one sister without a diagnosis (she isn't MI, it isn't that she is refusing to get treatment). So that seems strange.

13 hours ago, 2Spirals said:

Well there you have it. I mean, I have a movement at least 3 times a day when I'm at work and maybe only one if I'm at home, and I get panic attacks and anxiety symptoms usually only while working. (which is weird because I'm comfortable at my job and don't know why I'd be ill)  I know the "fight or flight method" for diarrhea when anxious, but these are, er, regular. Just many. Anxiety? 

I think this is a common issue with Anxiety. 

Well, this is my being vague, but isn't there supposed to be some brain/gut interaction? Almost implying that your gut is a second, purpose driven brain? Purpose driven isn't the term, quite, but I can't come up with it right now.

5 hours ago, crtclms said:

Well, this is my being vague, but isn't there supposed to be some brain/gut interaction? Almost implying that your gut is a second, purpose driven brain? Purpose driven isn't the term, quite, but I can't come up with it right now.

Yes, there is a brain-gut connection and yes, your brain is like a second gut.

Lots on the internet covering this topic.

8 minutes ago, 2Spirals said:

I just wonder what that connection *is*. Why does my intestine care what's going on in my brain? Besides getting
rid of extra weight".... boy there must be a lot. Maybe I am only overweight because of 'this problem'......... would seem so, given the circumstances!

If you google, 'gut-brain connection' I'm sure there are links there you can read about it.  There is so much information about it out there that I could read stuff on-line all day about it and still have more to read about it.

11 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

If you google, 'gut-brain connection' I'm sure there are links there you can read about it.  There is so much information about it out there that I could read stuff on-line all day about it and still have more to read about it.

Maybe I'll read about it while I...

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, pocketpanda said:

I don't know what the connection is, but I've had issues in this department since... for as long as I can remember. I either can't go for days, or go multiple times a day. There's never been a happy medium. :( 

If you are interested in what the gut-brain connection is, google 'gut-brain connection' I'm sure there are links there you can read about it.  There is so much information about it out there that I could read stuff on-line all day about it and still have more to read about it.

Edited by melissaw72

I have IBS and I'm pretty sure it gets worse when my anxiety is worse (which of course makes my anxiety even worse and round and round it goes). When I'm stressed I'll start going multiple times, although if the stress is major and instant (like a death or other major stressful event) I'll usually go the other way and cease going. Then when the stress passes and I start to relax a little all hell breaks loose and I can't stay away from the toilet (not to mention the horrible grinding stomach cramps that come along with it just for fun).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...